Help me choose a compressor pedal...

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Wendigo
Orange Master

Help me choose a compressor pedal...

Post by Wendigo » Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:32 pm

I have never used one, but I realized lately that I like it on a clean channel to make it "pop", but not on the dirty channel. I guess I'm kinda oldschool in that I want an analog one with few knobs and great sound. A one trick pony with an amazing trick in other words. :wink: Any suggestions?

ryanmaiden

Re: Help me choose a compressor pedal...

Post by ryanmaiden » Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:56 pm

Sounds like you want an optical compressor. The Build Your Own Clone Opticomp sounds great if you're into DIY. It's got that "Don't know you had it on until you turn it off" thing going on.

jason41224
Orange Master

Post by jason41224 » Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:58 pm

i use a Visual Sound Comp 66. it's cheap ($100), isn't too squashy, and sounds great on both my clean and dirty channel. i always have it on my clean channel, and most of the time on my dirty channel. i actually started off like you, i didn't expect to want to use it with dirt, but it sounds fantastic so i've kept it on all the time-very transparent. i do take it off every once in a while to take some gain off (i use the built in clean boost) and to restore the Rocker 30's natural dynamics. it almost acts as a 3rd channel, something i never expected in a compressor. very quiet and transparent.

besides the Comp 66, the Keeley Compressor (2 or 4 knob), JHS Pulp n' Peel, Rothwell Love Squeeze, and Diamond Compressor are all great pedals (but a bit more pricey)
Jason
Rocker 30
too many pedals

bassdrop
Orange Master

Post by bassdrop » Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:08 am

mmmmmm drop

Guthrie Matthews Method
http://www.guthriematthews.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Modified Fender Custom Shop Jazz, Warmoth P/J clone,
Orange AD200 MkIII, Barefaced Compact

savage8190
Orange Master

Post by savage8190 » Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:32 am

jason41224 wrote:i use a Visual Sound Comp 66. it's cheap ($100), isn't too squashy, and sounds great on both my clean and dirty channel. i always have it on my clean channel, and most of the time on my dirty channel. i actually started off like you, i didn't expect to want to use it with dirt, but it sounds fantastic so i've kept it on all the time-very transparent. i do take it off every once in a while to take some gain off (i use the built in clean boost) and to restore the Rocker 30's natural dynamics. it almost acts as a 3rd channel, something i never expected in a compressor. very quiet and transparent.

besides the Comp 66, the Keeley Compressor (2 or 4 knob), JHS Pulp n' Peel, Rothwell Love Squeeze, and Diamond Compressor are all great pedals (but a bit more pricey)
Ill second the Comp 66...I have the Route 66 which has the Comp in it and Jason summed it up nicely. Ive seen the Comp go for like 50-60 bucks on Ebay.

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Post by Randy Bass » Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:14 am

I've got an HBE ComPressor Retro that seems like what you are describing. I don't use it much (or any pedals for that matter), but I bought it because I like how it simple and effective it is. It's worth trying out if they are available near you.

Wendigo
Orange Master

Post by Wendigo » Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:10 am

(sigh)...There are so many compressors! I have been watching demos all day, and I have found a few (based on your suggestions) that stand out:

-Diamond
-Analogman Juicer
-HBE

...and one that I found that seems to sound great: Wampler Ego. To be honest, among the better compressors there doesn't seem to be too much difference in the sound, just some fine details I guess. I'm gonna have to go to the shop and play a bunch. What do you guys think of the Ego?:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THXE9R-x ... re=related

EDIT: And now I can add the Forest Green, which also sounds great, to the list! Damn....

Wendigo
Orange Master

Post by Wendigo » Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:21 pm

Ok so far I've pretty much narrowed it down to the Diamond or the Forest Green but I'm open for other suggestions....thoughts?

Jab
Tiny Terror

Post by Jab » Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:27 pm

I just got an Okko CocaComp and I think it works really well with the rocker 30!
Gear at the moment:
Gibson LP 1955 RI
'76 Gibson LPC
Haar 'Blackie' strat
'65 Tremolux
Orange R30
'72 JMP SB
'82 JMP 2203
50w custom plexi (For sale)
HW-cabs
...and that's about it, for now.

chimpboyjay1
Orange Expert

Post by chimpboyjay1 » Tue Sep 27, 2011 4:04 pm

Rothwell Lovesqueeze!

Brilliant name, brilliant pedal! Barely notice its on, it's very very subtle, but I definitely notice when it's not there!
Jamie T

Gtr_Pkr
Orange Expert

Post by Gtr_Pkr » Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:04 pm

I've got the Keeley four knob compressor and I love it!! Does what you are looking for.
Lost in the spacey reverb of the Rockerverb.......SOMEBODY GET ME OUTTA HERE!!

jason41224
Orange Master

Post by jason41224 » Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:41 pm

i think that watching youtube demos compressors is one of the worst things you can do when buying one...if you think about it, the videos on there are already compressed like crazy. besides, i think it's more about a feel factor than sound. ideally, you want a compressor to feel different but sound the same. you can't really hear that on youtube.

so, try some in person, or at least be sure that the store you're getting it from has a good return policy
Jason
Rocker 30
too many pedals

Wolfe
Tiny Terror

Post by Wolfe » Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:14 pm

keeley 4 knob compressor...
Wolfy'

Wendigo
Orange Master

Post by Wendigo » Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:57 pm

jason41224 wrote: i think it's more about a feel factor than sound. ideally, you want a compressor to feel different but sound the same.
I fully agree with this....I actually thought about that while watching the vids: you can't really do a proper video demo of a compressor. Although I want mine to be heard a bit too...I do like the squash and bite to be audible. I'm gonna head up to the shop and try out a dozen or so with my guitars.
Last edited by Wendigo on Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

macg1
Rocker

Post by macg1 » Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:00 pm

Wendigo wrote:
jason41224 wrote: i think it's more about a feel factor than sound. ideally, you want a compressor to feel different but sound the same.
I fully agree with this....I actually thought about that while watching the vids: you can't really do a proper video demo of a compressor. I'm gonna head up to the shop and try out a dozen or so with my guitars.
atta boy! keep us posted on the lucky winner!
I've got love to burn!
-Orange Rocker 30, 1x15 Glaswerks Cab, Emminence Big Ben.
-2010 LP Trad Pro, 2002 Gibson FB VII.
-Celestial Effects Scorpio, Aquarius, Virgo, Taurus, Sinna-a Wah, Line 6 MM4, TC Alter Ego.