New Mastodon album

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

dbsens03
Rocker

New Mastodon album

Post by dbsens03 » Thu Sep 22, 2011 1:12 am

They use Orange. I'm digging it big time!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffWVlG8rK9k" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Music is worthless unless it can make a complete stranger break down and cry."
"There are only two kinds of music; music that sounds good, and whatever you want to call that other stuff."

starling1
Rocker

Re: New Mastodon album

Post by starling1 » Thu Sep 22, 2011 5:20 am

I love mastodon, but the vocals annoy me. Still, will definitely be picking up a copy of their new one.

Action-Hank
Rocker

Post by Action-Hank » Thu Sep 22, 2011 5:11 pm

I dig the Mastodon big time - but the whole Orange endorsement is causing me some bafflement.

Try as I might, I am yet to find any evidence of the actually using any Orange gear. Well maybe a couple cabs, but no evidence of the Thunderverbs they're supposed to be using, and in the interviews I've read they say they used Marshalls on the new record.

I'd love someone to come up with some proof of Orange usage! :(
Last edited by Action-Hank on Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dbsens03
Rocker

Post by dbsens03 » Thu Sep 22, 2011 5:29 pm

Their guitarist Bill kelliher has a side project, Primate. I saw them at the Whiskey earlier this year and he was using an Orange halfstack.
"There are only two kinds of music; music that sounds good, and whatever you want to call that other stuff."

Wired
Orange Master

Post by Wired » Thu Sep 22, 2011 5:34 pm

mmmmmmmm Mastodon.

Crack the Skye was bloody amazing. Was gonna buy the limited edition vinyl with the instrumental versions and the vocal versions... but couldn't part with the $120
-LK
RV50, Vox AC30, Gibson LP Trad '14, Gibson ES-335 '04, PRS Cu24 '10, Fender Tele Pro, Gretsch Powerjet

StratusX
Rocker

Post by StratusX » Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:02 pm

Action-Hank wrote:I did Mastodon big time - but the whole Orange endorsement is causing me some bafflement.

Try as I might, I am yet to find any evidence of the actually using any Orange gear. Well maybe a couple cabs, but no evidence of the Thunderverbs they're supposed to be using, and in the interviews I've read they say they used Marshalls on the new record.

I'd love someone to come up with some proof of Orange usage! :(
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bj2yrwuKuY" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; DONE!
Hi, my name is Ian.
1973 Gibson SG
2009 Gibson Melody Maker
2011 Gibson Midtown Standard
2006 Schecter Hellraiser
Orange Micro Terror
Orange PPC108 X 2
Orange AD30HTC
Orange PPC212

Action-Hank
Rocker

Post by Action-Hank » Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:22 pm

Ahh - I did see that one, but I didn't count it as conclusive because they were playing on the 'Orange' stage :wink:

But by God - what I would give for that rig! (and someone else to cart it around for me!)

More!!

Any of you guys learned any of their stuff?? Divinations is a little bitch! Awesome fun though!

dbsens03
Rocker

Post by dbsens03 » Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:48 pm

I've messed around a bit with The Czar. Love that song!

Action-Hank
Rocker

Post by Action-Hank » Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:11 pm

Woooop!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAihDAJX8Ow" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

dbsens03
Rocker

Post by dbsens03 » Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:26 pm

i am a fan of the boobies.

everdrone
Orange Expert

Post by everdrone » Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:27 pm

amazing! I am spreading the word of this awesomeness. Killer choice of thunderverb 50 IMO ...I liked the youtube mastodon advertsement

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_BeffLJBhY" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

get urself a tv50 :-)
My solo downtuned HEAVY rock project: https://soundcloud.com/earthalliance

Guitarist and Bassist in Fort Worth, TEXAS

bavaro
Orange Hero

Post by bavaro » Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:13 pm

listened through the whole album, and i'm pretty disappointed. really disappointed actually. the vocals are pretty gimmicky on most tracks. there are some exceptions, like i really dig spectrelight and it's fuckin heavy. but if you check out the track creature lives...wtf?! i just can't get into most of the album. some might love it, but being a fan of mastodon since remission came out, i can't say i'll be looking forward to anything new mastodon comes out with as much as i used to.
Rocker 30
strymon el cap
tc polytune
apogee one
harpoon hefeweizen

Action-Hank
Rocker

Post by Action-Hank » Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:29 pm

If I could FB stylee 'Like' dbsens03's comment, I'd be all over it =)

bavaro wrote:listened through the whole album, and i'm pretty disappointed. really disappointed actually. the vocals are pretty gimmicky on most tracks. there are some exceptions, like i really dig spectrelight and it's fuckin heavy. but if you check out the track creature lives...wtf?! i just can't get into most of the album. some might love it, but being a fan of mastodon since remission came out, i can't say i'll be looking forward to anything new mastodon comes out with as much as i used to.
I can see where you're coming from, man.
. . . Then, each album (whilst sounding very Mastodon-y) is very different. And I guess if you've just spent 2+ years touring a serious, heavy, prog type record, you'd probably want to give your brain the night off too?

I've always had my 'goto' tunes on each of their records. Really I'm just stoked that guys doing proper gnarly, hard rock / metal can break out the way they have. Gives me hope anyway. . . =)

. . . at least we're all getting plenty of vitamin C :wink:

P.S. ALEX if you nice peeps at Orange had some vids of dudes like Brent and Bill from Mastodon doing some little demo's or lessons using Orange gear it would do you many more favours than the fellow you're currently using. You could take a diverse cross section of your sponsored artists, and clean up. . .saying that, maybe I don't want you to. . . .maybe I want to hide you under my mattress and keep you secret.....

Orbis_Mortis
Tiny Terror

Post by Orbis_Mortis » Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:36 pm

Whether or not they use Orange amps, Mastodon is a great band. I will be buying the CD on Tuesday.
Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Fender American Deluxe Ash Strat
Fender American Special Tele

Amp and Cab:
Orange AD30HTC
Mesa 2x12 Vertical

Effects:
JC Wah>VFE Enterprise>Black Forest>Pharaoh>Boiling Point>TIM>LoFi 616>Small Clone

sizzlingbadger
Orange Hero

Post by sizzlingbadger » Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:03 am

I've only been listening to Mastodon for a few weeks and I'm loving the new album, picked it up today :P