Focusrite Liquid Saffire 56?

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

aokd00d
Rocker

Focusrite Liquid Saffire 56?

Post by aokd00d » Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:28 am

Just took a plunge and ordered one, looking to expand my little home studio setup with a bunch of new gear to maybe get some bands in here to record. Anyone use this? I read a lot of reviews, and as always, they're either saying it's the best piece of equipment ever or the biggest piece of trash ever. Figured I'd run it by here, maybe I could get a little more out of someone's experience with it than, "It's the best!" or, "It's the worst!" :wink:
Gunnar

Ddjembe Mutombo
Orange Master

Re: Focusrite Liquid Saffire 56?

Post by Ddjembe Mutombo » Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:29 am

I only have experience with the Red 8. That is one solid pre-amp.
Monty

nick727
Tiny Terror

Post by nick727 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:32 am

I've heard good things. I'm going to rent one soon to record an album.

blacklight_uk
Orange Master

Post by blacklight_uk » Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:55 am

I have a Saffire Pro 40. Beside the liquid pres it's essentially the same unit so maybe my opinions will help.

First thing I noticed when I set it up is how much better the D/A conversion in this is than in my old Mbox 2. It's not exactly a Prism but it sounds noticeably clearer and less constricted in the high frequencies. I have an RME ADI-2 and the difference doesn't really justify me owning it anymore. The pres are great - very neutral, quiet and plenty of gain. The mute and dim buttons on the monitor section are a nice feature, though the knob feels a little flimsy. Might be worth finding a metal knob to replace it with if you plan on using it as your monitor controller.

I borrowed a Liquid Saffire once before for a location recording. I remember having a quick play around with it but it was hardly thorough due to time constraints. From what I remember the presets sounded decent enough and definitely reminded me of the units they were emulating. I do have it on very good word that the liquid pres are junk, but the guy in question is a die-hard gear whore and runs an extremely well stocked studio, so take that with a pinch of salt...
Josh