Thinking of becoming a 1 amp guy

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Orphin
Duke of Orange

Re: Thinking of becoming a 1 amp guy

Post by Orphin » Sat May 07, 2011 9:26 am

I pretty much only "need" one amp too, but hey I love amps and a good reason for having multiple is when recording. You get a wider palette of sounds.
David
I'm speaking out of my a$$. Yours might differ.

Tango
Orange Master

Post by Tango » Sat May 07, 2011 10:34 am

Sir Crunch A Lot wrote:One amp tends to produce the grass is greener syndrome.
I disagree, if you do your homework well enough.
http://www.radio-clash.com/fr_home.cfm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Tango
Orange Master

Post by Tango » Sat May 07, 2011 10:36 am

Unless your only amp is a Line6, then you get to sit and look at vast fields of greener grass :D
http://www.radio-clash.com/fr_home.cfm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

danbond
Orange Expert

Post by danbond » Sat May 07, 2011 10:39 am

When it comes to recording, you'll want as many amps as possible. Unless you really need the money, only sell whatever you would struggle to imagine ever using again.

irish_admiral
Prince of Orange

Post by irish_admiral » Sat May 07, 2011 10:43 am

For recording, why not borrow the amps you want? Otherwise you'll always be chasing another sound that you don't yet have. Or stick with the tone you use most.

As regards the grass being greener, yes I guess it's somewhat true. As a wise man once told me though, there's crap in both fields!
Joe

G(sus) saves

Orange AD15, Matamp 1224, Fender 'JD' Tele, G&L ASAT, Duesenberg Starplayer TV, Eggle Kanuga, Avalon D25, Warwick FNA Jazzman, Eden Nemesis / Bergantino EX112S, Eastman MD305 & other stuff...

Tango
Orange Master

Post by Tango » Sat May 07, 2011 10:45 am

I agree with Joe, studios usually have a good selection of amps lurking about. And also about the muck in both fields, I like that :lol:

Aslan
Orange Master

Post by Aslan » Sat May 07, 2011 1:29 pm

I wish I could go with just one amp but I like different flavors. To me it would be like only eating one type of food everyday, I like to experiment and try different flavors. But if I had to I would probably go with my Rockerverb mark 1, still the most versatile amp on the planet.

Hey Tango! Long time no see! How's life after the royal wedding? Please tell me your band got to play for the wedding reception!!

Gear:
Retro 50 & PPC212
RV50H & PPC212
65Amps Royal Albert
65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS David Grissom
PRS Prism
PRS Santana MD
PRS 305
PRS Hollowbody II single cut
PRS Sunburst 22

Norrin Radd
Duke of Orange

Post by Norrin Radd » Sat May 07, 2011 1:30 pm

Yeah, borrowing for the studio makes a whole lot of sense to me.

After that it's really up to you - will you be happy with just one amp? Only you can really answer that. In any event, I DO like the idea of one for back up in case one has to go to the shop.
Greg

Tango
Orange Master

Post by Tango » Sat May 07, 2011 5:33 pm

Aslan wrote:I wish I could go with just one amp but I like different flavors. To me it would be like only eating one type of food everyday, I like to experiment and try different flavors. But if I had to I would probably go with my Rockerverb mark 1, still the most versatile amp on the planet.

Hey Tango! Long time no see! How's life after the royal wedding? Please tell me your band got to play for the wedding reception!!
Howdy doody there!!!!

I avoided the wedding, there would be no playing at the wedding...I'm a bit of a republican ;) And they wouldn't have us in a month of Sundays :lol:

Anarchy doesn't like royalty over here :mrgreen:

Hope you're keeping well :)

baytamusic
Duke of Orange

Post by baytamusic » Sat May 07, 2011 7:37 pm

As a lot of the people here know I've owned tons of amps. Recently I sold all of the ones I had except my Rocker 30 and vintage Marshall cabinet. I then bought a Vox AC15c1 and I'm content. I spent the time finding out what works for me and what doesn't. I also sold all my guitars and now only have a '87 Gibson Les Paul Jr and an Epiphone Les Paul Special for backup.

For me, my philosophy was to find my "signature sound". I did, and I don't think I'll be switching anything anytime soon. These two amps paired with my P90 flat top Les Pauls give me the sound I was after. Obviously it's fun to own a bunch of amps, but when they are just sitting there, you aren't rich, and there are other things you'd rather have I don't see a need for a ton of gear. I think it's simpler finding what you like and perfecting using that gear. Really getting to know your equipment really helps IMO.

OrangePaul
Orange Master

Post by OrangePaul » Sat May 07, 2011 10:10 pm

Really getting to know your equipment really helps IMO
I couldn't agree more with that statement...
but after been on here with you gasing lot, i now have more amps than ever :lol:
Paul.

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Post by Randy Bass » Sun May 08, 2011 1:52 am

I've spent a lot of time getting to know my equipment.

bodhi2600
Tiny Terror

Post by bodhi2600 » Sun May 08, 2011 1:58 am

put the other ones in the closet for a year. don't touch them. use only the RV50 for that time.
you will know for sure by then.
haste makes waste!
it sucks re-purchasing expensive gear.

indianDYsummer
Orange Master

Post by indianDYsummer » Sun May 08, 2011 2:19 am

I agree that you should keep your 2nd favorite amp as a backup. Another option would be to sell both and get a different amp to try/use as a backup. It's possible you could hunt down an AD50 with the money you get from the other two!

sidvicious
Orange Master

Post by sidvicious » Sun May 08, 2011 3:58 am

i could never do it. like most here i'm an amp hoarder. i don't need them but i need'em.
Orange TV50
Orange Rockerverb MkII 2x12 Combo
Orange DT
Orange AD5
Orange PPC212

Vox AC50
Vox AC30
Vox AC4
2 Vox NT's
Marshall TlS 100
Marshall JCM800
Marshall slant