Thinking of becoming a 1 amp guy

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

OU818
Orange Master

Thinking of becoming a 1 amp guy

Post by OU818 » Sat May 07, 2011 1:24 am

Last night we were discussing GAS and what it leads to, and started talking about the fact I own 5 amps and 3 cabs, yet lately have just started using my RV50 and Mesa 2x12 for my 3 bands.

This made me wonder if there would be benefit of just selling up and becoming a 1 amp 1 cab guitarist. Has anybody here done that before? Did you end up regretting it?

It also means I could sell off a lot of my pedals as the Rockerverb kind of covers all tonale requirements by itself.

I feel in many ways it would be a smart thing to do (financially as well as space wise) but just worry that eventually I may regret it.

Is 1 amp sonically enough as long as you use different guitars for different sounds?
Orange Gear:
AD200B MkIII
OBC810

Non-Orange:
Bergantino NXT212
Bergantino Forte D
Woogie Lessie
Laney DBV-410

Basses:
Ernie Ball Stingray 4H
Rickenbacker 4003
Gibson Midtown Signature
Gibson Thunderbird
Gibson Nikki Sixx Thunderbird
Gibson Les Paul Bass

Tango
Orange Master

Re: Thinking of becoming a 1 amp guy

Post by Tango » Sat May 07, 2011 1:30 am

I've pretty much always bern a one amp gal. Never had a problem with it ever, you just have to be sure about the one amp you have :)

I have one gigging guitar too, so one amp & one guitar here, jobs a good un :D
http://www.radio-clash.com/fr_home.cfm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Post by Randy Bass » Sat May 07, 2011 1:37 am

One amp - that's hilarious :lol: .

It really depends how much ground you like to cover stylistically. Plenty of great guitar players only use one amp (in public at least) and only one guitar for that matter. I've thought about getting down to one or two speaker cabs since they can be redundant, but it's tough for me to get rid of anything I like.

OU818
Orange Master

Post by OU818 » Sat May 07, 2011 1:46 am

Randy Bass wrote:One amp - that's hilarious :lol: .

It really depends how much ground you like to cover stylistically. Plenty of great guitar players only use one amp (in public at least) and only one guitar for that matter. I've thought about getting down to one or two speaker cabs since they can be redundant, but it's tough for me to get rid of anything I like.
That's it, I love my Hayden through my 2x10 cab and the R30 through anything but I've been finding that I can achieve so much variance in sound by just tweaking the gain and swapping between my SG, Strat and Silvertone that these other amps are just being neglected.

I feel one setup will allow me to focus more on the playing and less on slight variations in amp tone.

My place is pretty cluttered as well :lol:
Orange Gear:
AD200B MkIII
OBC810

Non-Orange:
Bergantino NXT212
Bergantino Forte D
Woogie Lessie
Laney DBV-410

Basses:
Ernie Ball Stingray 4H
Rickenbacker 4003
Gibson Midtown Signature
Gibson Thunderbird
Gibson Les Paul Bass

pages plexitone
Orange Master

Post by pages plexitone » Sat May 07, 2011 2:00 am

I don't think that's a bad thing! I thought about my little 2061x as capable of being all I need. But I enjoy a lot of different flavors. I like the Hiwatt DR103 sound, the superlead sound, the ad140 sound, the bluesbreaker sound.
For me, I stumbled onto my amps at the right time and I couldn't afford to replace them again if I sold them. I'm certain, I'd regret selling them, so I haven't. There is virtue in simplicity. I wouldn't know of course. But I suspect this to be true! :D

-Joe

http://soundclick.com/blackvelvetelvis" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Purveyor of permanent hearing loss since 1978

Norrin Radd
Duke of Orange

Post by Norrin Radd » Sat May 07, 2011 3:17 am

Hmmmmmmmm........

I used to have 13 guitars and 1 amp. I now have two giggable guitars and 3 amps. And if I expand, it'll be in the amp arena. Why? It's a lot easier to change amps to vary your tone than by changing guitars. I also have found myself just preferring becoming more intimate with my guitar (both players have the same neck shape, body shape and frets). I intend to add more amps in the future - but not guitars. YMMV. 8)
Greg

Sir Crunch A Lot

Post by Sir Crunch A Lot » Sat May 07, 2011 3:22 am

One amp tends to produce the grass is greener syndrome.
Orange Rockerverb 50 MK II
Orange Dual Terror

Y0UNGBL00D
Orange Master

Post by Y0UNGBL00D » Sat May 07, 2011 3:29 am

i say two amps. for variety and for backup. one brittish, one american. a cab for each. all you need. i will eventually buy a twin again or maybe a bassman. i like having multiple guitars. pretty much one for each major pickup style (have tele sc, gibby hb, p90, bridge sc all represented right now. i intend to fill it out with a strat, an ES-335 or similar, and maybe a jag)
Thunderverb 50,
modded SG, pedals, shiner bock.

everdrone
Orange Expert

Post by everdrone » Sat May 07, 2011 3:42 am

I always find myself wanting...

I love my rig but want a smaller one for quiet jams and lighter. dont get rid of the pedal board, your gonna need a tuner pedal and prolly at least one other pedal. I need a noisegate cause I run alot of distortion for the music I play. Im not a jack of all trades trying to play jazz guitar or anything though.

for bass, ya, one bass one amp is prolly best. I have a 500 watt gallien that weighs 37 lbs that is killer. but I like the look of 'bigger' on stage, and still like variety even though it is only bass - I have a line 6 head and peavey tour head and an ampeg 410 cab. toooo much lol!!
My solo downtuned HEAVY rock project: https://soundcloud.com/earthalliance

Guitarist and Bassist in Fort Worth, TEXAS

Nork
Orange Master

Post by Nork » Sat May 07, 2011 6:49 am

i've only really owned 3 amps ever and never at one time. can't really afford too right now, so my TT does the job everywhere if i need it too (not that i play everywhere, but it gets it done). but i'm not much of a multiple amp guy - ideally, in a perfect world, i'd have the TT for dirt and something either like an ac15 or a DRRI for clean and ABY them. but that's about it.

i'm hoping to soon pickup and mod a VHT S6 with a VVR so that when i start having kids (within the next couple years) i can still play in my house at reasonable volumes and i have a little 6v6 at home, which i do love.

but, because i just don't have the cash, my neighbours are already pretty tolerant about my little 15W amp, and i don't play out or in a studio, i don't really have a need to have multiple amps.
--Nick

Parker Nitefly SA -> TC PolyTune -> OLER Box ->Timmy -> MP SHOD -> Eventide TimeFactor/e3 -> Orange TT -> Avatar 112 (Weber 1225)

jason41224
Orange Master

Post by jason41224 » Sat May 07, 2011 7:13 am

if that one amp is a Rocker 30, you should be good to go.
Jason
Rocker 30
too many pedals

OU818
Orange Master

Post by OU818 » Sat May 07, 2011 7:47 am

jason41224 wrote:if that one amp is a Rocker 30, you should be good to go.
Rockerverb 50.
The Rocker 30 is being sold.
Orange Gear:
AD200B MkIII
OBC810

Non-Orange:
Bergantino NXT212
Bergantino Forte D
Woogie Lessie
Laney DBV-410

Basses:
Ernie Ball Stingray 4H
Rickenbacker 4003
Gibson Midtown Signature
Gibson Thunderbird
Gibson Les Paul Bass

jason41224
Orange Master

Post by jason41224 » Sat May 07, 2011 7:56 am

:(

too bad. you'll regret it :P
Jason
Rocker 30
too many pedals

Ronnie Robinson
Orange Master

Post by Ronnie Robinson » Sat May 07, 2011 8:06 am

Sorry but only you can decide - depending on the range of sounds you need and your finances

Keep 2 if u can though in case one breaks down and do some people really do gigs only taking one guitar?
Orange AD30 HTC
Orange Rocker 15 terror
Orange Tiny Terror HW,
Fender elite Start, Gibson SG 61,fender telecaster

Previously Owned - Rocker 30

irish_admiral
Prince of Orange

Post by irish_admiral » Sat May 07, 2011 8:35 am

I'd hang onto two, for flavour and backup...
Joe

G(sus) saves

Orange AD15, Matamp 1224, Fender 'JD' Tele, G&L ASAT, Duesenberg Starplayer TV, Eggle Kanuga, Avalon D25, Warwick FNA Jazzman, Eden Nemesis / Bergantino EX112S, Eastman MD305 & other stuff...