Well yes or no?

Personally I do.
-Joe
My mother wears army boots.

RV50 mkI
AC30 combo

Hot tamale.

http://lifereformatted.wordpress.com/
Check out my blog - adventure, travel, and the meaning of life.

myboss57
Orange Master

Re: Do you name your guitars?

Post by myboss57 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:32 pm

I never have, and don't see anything wrong with it if anyone does. I just never have really thought about it...
Gibson SG Standard
http://www.nightmovesmd.bandcamp.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sovtek Mig 100h
TC Alter Ego
Mesa Oversized 412
Prev amps: 90s OD120, Tiny Terror, Rockerverb 100mk1

Ohara
Orange Master

Post by Ohara » Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:33 pm

I name my cars, for instance my 02 monte carlo ss is called Carlos, took me a while to come up with such a complicated name :lol: even the wife calls her car Monique.
But I can honestly say I have never named my guitars.
Just call me Ken

proud member #81 of the Tiny Terror Club
proud owner of Rocker 30 combo in white

chinese fork tie
Orange Master

Post by chinese fork tie » Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:39 pm

i'm terrible at naming stuff. my cat lived with us for like a week before my mom decided to name her. we settled on lily, after our favorite smashing pumpkins song, but she's killer now.

so. yeah. no. i don't name my guitars. if they had names, i'd probably figure out new ones for them.
http://myspace.com/rewritedept
i gotta movie in my head! you wanna see it?

Borderline Productions
Orange Master

Post by Borderline Productions » Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:59 pm

Cars and pets, yes. Guitars, no.
Bob

http://www.purevolume.com/oxymora" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

nlimbaugh
Orange Master

Post by nlimbaugh » Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:14 pm

Children, yes. Guitar, no, unless it's misbehaving

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Post by Randy Bass » Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:27 pm

chinese fork tie wrote:i'm terrible at naming stuff. my cat lived with us for like a week before my mom decided to name her. we settled on lily, after our favorite smashing pumpkins song, but she's killer now...
What a coincidence. I once had a cat named Mayonaise :lol: .

I don't think that guitars particularly need nicknames, but B.B. King seems to have a good explanation for his.

sidvicious
Orange Master

Post by sidvicious » Fri Mar 25, 2011 7:15 pm

no, i never have.
Orange TV50
Orange Rockerverb MkII 2x12 Combo
Orange DT
Orange AD5
Orange PPC212

Vox AC50
Vox AC30
Vox AC4
2 Vox NT's
Marshall TlS 100
Marshall JCM800
Marshall slant
Mesa TA
60's Silverface Fender Twin
65 F SuperVerb
Bunch of others.

dbsens03
Rocker

Post by dbsens03 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 7:45 pm

I name my guitars. Not my cars though.
"Music is worthless unless it can make a complete stranger break down and cry."
"There are only two kinds of music; music that sounds good, and whatever you want to call that other stuff."

Tango
Orange Master

Post by Tango » Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:32 pm

Name my cars, never had named my guitars though it does get called the Paul :)
http://www.radio-clash.com/fr_home.cfm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:42 pm

My '66 Strat is Junior, and my main Esquires are 1, 2, & 3 (for the numbers on the back of the headstock so I can tell them apart), my lefty '78 Strat is Baby Blue, but that's about it. I'd need a lot of names....

blenk
Rocker

Post by blenk » Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:43 pm

ive thought about it but never come up with anything good. cars, yes my girlfriends mini is called sunny because its bright yellow.
blenk
Orange Dual Terror + PPC112
Cheap Modded Strat

Y0UNGBL00D
Orange Master

Post by Y0UNGBL00D » Sat Mar 26, 2011 1:21 am

my SG is Gizmo. a nickname for my girlfriend bc of her amazingly big brown eyes, and it kind of fits the SG's hodge-podge aesthetic.

my strat (now sold :( ) was Joy. my gf's middle name and the feeling i got when played through a good sweetspot on an amp.

my new explorer is Oreo.
see my cat, Oreo, the best cat i have everr known (i have known many), was black and white with a beautiful defined line separating the two colors down the middle of his face. naturally, the black and white explorer was named after him. literally a week after i got it, on st. patricks day, we had to take him to emergency vet because he was obviously sick. a few days of sleeping at the vet and the rest of my money later, the doctors announced that the $6000 surgery they would have to do wouldnt even fix anything, but MAYBE help them find the root cause of his kidney failure and that he was in pain. i had to go to the vet on my lunch break and hold him in my arms while the doctor pumped the poison into his then-narcotically-peacefull veins. you could tell despite all of his pain how much he loved my gf and i when we would walk through the door to the vet he would muster all of his strength to perk up and love on us.
i know, its just a cat, but i miss him so much. he really was special. i have had a lot of special pets but Oreo seemed to have an almost human perosnality and unconditional love and affection.
so the explorer is and always will be named, Oreo.
Thunderverb 50,
modded SG, pedals, shiner bock.

chinese fork tie
Orange Master

Post by chinese fork tie » Sat Mar 26, 2011 4:44 am

Y0UNGBL00D wrote:my SG is Gizmo. a nickname for my girlfriend bc of her amazingly big brown eyes, and it kind of fits the SG's hodge-podge aesthetic.

my strat (now sold :( ) was Joy. my gf's middle name and the feeling i got when played through a good sweetspot on an amp.

my new explorer is Oreo.
see my cat, Oreo, the best cat i have everr known (i have known many), was black and white with a beautiful defined line separating the two colors down the middle of his face. naturally, the black and white explorer was named after him. literally a week after i got it, on st. patricks day, we had to take him to emergency vet because he was obviously sick. a few days of sleeping at the vet and the rest of my money later, the doctors announced that the $6000 surgery they would have to do wouldnt even fix anything, but MAYBE help them find the root cause of his kidney failure and that he was in pain. i had to go to the vet on my lunch break and hold him in my arms while the doctor pumped the poison into his then-narcotically-peacefull veins. you could tell despite all of his pain how much he loved my gf and i when we would walk through the door to the vet he would muster all of his strength to perk up and love on us.
i know, its just a cat, but i miss him so much. he really was special. i have had a lot of special pets but Oreo seemed to have an almost human perosnality and unconditional love and affection.
i'm sorry to hear that. i know i'd be devastated if anything happened to any of my pets. we got killer when she was 3 weeks old and i raised her and bottle fed her and everything like that, and the other two cats i have are her kittens. i'm very attached to all of them, they're one of my favorite bright spots to go to when i have a bad day (besides playing my guitar really loud).
http://myspace.com/rewritedept
i gotta movie in my head! you wanna see it?

mmsb13
Orange Hero

Post by mmsb13 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 7:50 am

Y0UNGBL00D wrote:my SG is Gizmo. a nickname for my girlfriend bc of her amazingly big brown eyes, and it kind of fits the SG's hodge-podge aesthetic.

my new explorer is Oreo.
Man. . . that got me misty eyed and I'm serious. I luv animals. I have dogs (dogs rule :mrgreen: ) and I know how hard it is when you lose a pet, been there also. Hell. . . it bothers me to see roadkill, it's like the wildlife doesn't stand a chance nowadays! Sorry for your loss.

And. . . no, I don't name my guitars.
40th Anniversary OR50H & PPC412-LTD
Rickenbacker 370/6 VP JG & 370/12 VP FG
and other gear. . .