difference in old orange and new?

Maybe someone can help you date your Orange Amplifier?

Moderator: bclaire

Bobby Rock

Post by Bobby Rock » Sat Aug 31, 2002 8:56 pm

1st about cabinets, im guessing the enclosure is the same?
same components, what about speakers? what did orange use in the original set up and what do they use know what is the difference in sound?

Heads a friend of mine has the 120 overdrive it has a real 70's warm distortion to it not alot of gain its actually muddy when you crank the gain knob all the way up, but i heard the new version of this head has been compared to a soldano slo? any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
ROCK!

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Sun Sep 01, 2002 3:14 pm

Orange cabs came with a variety of speakers particularly if you get an older one from the US. Celestions, Emminence, etc. Both sound really good although new ones have Celestion Vintage 30's in them which sound incredible.

Heads- nothing sounds like Orange. They are definitely in a class by themselves.

Bobby Rock

Post by Bobby Rock » Sun Sep 01, 2002 7:34 pm

hmm well i guess it depends on the style as well, i play a heavier music i suppose but when i say heavy im not speaking CHUG factor CHUGGA CHUGGA i actually enjoy mids, and my amp does the job for me im just trying to find the right speakers that will work ive heard thisorange cab with a peavey combo and it sounded awesome, haha same goes for the same cabinet with a blue voodoo head i hate them but the tone was astonishing through the orange cab.
my comment about the orange head wasnt the tone but the gain staging that was said to be as heavy as an slo. if anyone has heard hum i dont see how they got such a heavy sound from orange and still it didnt sound vintage like, hmm i dont know im mainly talking about the song stars, she thinks she missed her train to mars, shes out back counting stars, but im not certain if they used orange on that track or what was done with it and if they slaved it or something.. yada yadakeep the info coming.