best budget pedals that work great with your orange

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

reaper2502
Tiny Terror

best budget pedals that work great with your orange

Post by reaper2502 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:48 pm

i just tried out the danelectro cool cat tremolo, and for £30 its the best investment ive ever made, it seems you can get great pedals for next to nothing these days, even my danelectro bad monkey aint a bad boost for £25, so, what other cheap and nasty pedals have you found work great?
Rockerverb 50 Mk II

Icarus
Orange Expert

Re: best budget pedals that work great with your orange

Post by Icarus » Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:27 pm

Instead of trying out a loads of cheaper pedals to hopefully stumble upon a good one, I'd rather go and get what I know is great and if that means spending more then so be it. That's not to say all the expensive pedals are good, but I'm not one for spending hours trying different ones out. Not really a pedal kind of dude.
The danelecto pedals I've seen seem to be saving costs on build quality, I'd be nervous to continue stomping on those night after night.

Do they seem tough enough to you and can they take a bit of a beating?
Thunderverb 200
Rockerverb 50
PPC412hp8
PPC212cb
Les Paul Custom
American Standard Tele

savage8190
Orange Master

Post by savage8190 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:43 pm

Id be interested to hear some suggestions. Im just in the process of building a board right now after dumping my M13. I think Im pretty set on what Im getting but Id be willing to try some more stuff out.

That said, cheap pedals are cheap for a reason....they break. I think the cheapest one I have now is a Big Muff and its built like a tank.

baytamusic
Duke of Orange

Post by baytamusic » Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:03 pm

Danelectro pedals sound good, but they are POS when it comes to quality. I have a CTO-1: broken after about ten uses. Danecho: also broken.

I don't buy junk anymore. I'd rather spend a little more on stuff that holds up.

jason41224
Orange Master

Post by jason41224 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:33 pm

EHX pedals can be fairly cheap. and they have great quality, and i think for any pedal brand as a whole, they respond best to oranges over any brand.
Jason
Rocker 30
too many pedals

Barters81

Post by Barters81 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:31 am

Come on guys.....the thread title is asking for any ideas on good cheap pedals. Not your opinion on whether you should pay more for quality etc (which I generally agree with).

That said, the Bad Monkey is a great little pedal. And the Danelectro stuff is interesting.

I found a good Rotovibe pedal on ebay cheap recently which I thought was good too.

jason41224
Orange Master

Post by jason41224 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:23 am

also, if you don't wanna pay full price for a pedal, look if Guitar Center has one used. you can usually score some really good deals for pedals. i got my Boss EQ (normally $100) for $40. it had one scratch on the side. you do have to pay sales tax (whatever your town has), and i think shipping, but it's better than paying full price for something just as good.
Jason
Rocker 30
too many pedals

chinese fork tie
Orange Master

Post by chinese fork tie » Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:17 am

ehx stuff always goes for super cheap secondhand, and i LOVE their effects. my current board is running a late-70's/early-80's big muff that i got for $20, small clone and a stereo pulsar trem. all together, i spent maybe $150 for the three, and they sound amazing. ehx stuff is built like a tank, not too pricey and miles better than any boss stuff in the same range. that's about the cheapest i'll go on my board.
http://myspace.com/rewritedept
i gotta movie in my head! you wanna see it?

Bensen
Orange Master

Post by Bensen » Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:10 pm

baytamusic wrote:Danelectro pedals sound good, but they are POS when it comes to quality. I have a CTO-1: broken after about ten uses. Danecho: also broken.

I don't buy junk anymore. I'd rather spend a little more on stuff that holds up.
Have min for 20+ gigs, still works/sounds great.

Cheap pedals I like/use are the mentioned CTO1, the yello Dano tremolo, Ibanez TU20 tuner, Nobels pedals and those ugly 80s Ibanez Pedals.

bavaro
Orange Hero

Post by bavaro » Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:13 pm

i like my ehx holy grail with my thunder 30, if you consider that a cheap-ish pedal!
Rocker 30
strymon el cap
tc polytune
apogee one
harpoon hefeweizen

Deacon Blues
Orange Master

Post by Deacon Blues » Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:22 pm

if your local craigslist is active, then everything becomes 60% off.

behringer makes affordable pedals...but i usually just find what i need used
My name is Alex. I used to have an AD30HTC, but now I have an RV50 and PPC212.

kmlabs
Orange Expert

Post by kmlabs » Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:34 pm

I had a Danelectro Cool Cat Vibe, which sounded great in the loop of my Rockerverb... didn't last long before it broke though :(

And back in my Tiny Terror days I used to use a Boss DS-1 to hit the front end a little bit harder for solos, that worked well - as long as you turned it off the second you stopped playing :D

I've also got a T-Rex Tonebug Chorus/Flanger which I'm really liking at the moment - it's not cheap, but it's T-Rex's budget range!
Kerry

Too much gain is... just about enough

Gtr_Pkr
Orange Expert

Post by Gtr_Pkr » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:06 pm

Guys,

I never did like putting pedals in front of my TT, but one of the best budget pedal brands is DOD. These are american made pedals which can go from $20 - $80. They are worth every penny. I started out with the FX52, fuzz pedal. Then I bought, and still have, FX96, echo pedal. I also have the envelope filter, FX 25. The sound quality is pretty good for the price, and they are built like tanks. You will usually find that the battery door is missing, but using a one spot or something similar will take care of that issue. Great pedals. Check 'em out!! :D
Lost in the spacey reverb of the Rockerverb.......SOMEBODY GET ME OUTTA HERE!!

Icarus
Orange Expert

Post by Icarus » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:45 pm

Gtr_Pkr wrote:You will usually find that the battery door is missing, but using a one spot or something similar will take care of that issue. Great pedals. Check 'em out!! :D
I really hope your day job is not in sales! :D
Thunderverb 200
Rockerverb 50
PPC412hp8
PPC212cb
Les Paul Custom
American Standard Tele

Gtr_Pkr
Orange Expert

Post by Gtr_Pkr » Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:56 pm

Icarus wrote:
Gtr_Pkr wrote:You will usually find that the battery door is missing, but using a one spot or something similar will take care of that issue. Great pedals. Check 'em out!! :D
I really hope your day job is not in sales! :D
Thankfully, no. I'm going to give you the straight story about something. No BS here.
Lost in the spacey reverb of the Rockerverb.......SOMEBODY GET ME OUTTA HERE!!