Orange in the mass media

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

misterMagoo
Orange Master

Orange in the mass media

Post by misterMagoo » Fri Mar 18, 2011 3:18 pm

You know how we see marshall all over the mass media, whenever they want to convey the rock and roll image? Like in that mini van commercial where the hatch opens up to show a marshall half stack? Etc...

How long do you think it will be till they start showing orange??? I mean, they would obviously look great...
-Joe
My mother wears army boots.

RV50 mkI
AC30 combo

Hot tamale.

http://lifereformatted.wordpress.com/
Check out my blog - adventure, travel, and the meaning of life.

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Re: Orange in the mass media

Post by Randy Bass » Fri Mar 18, 2011 3:29 pm

It will be another 31 months at least :wink: .

jason41224
Orange Master

Post by jason41224 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 3:35 pm

i think that day isn't comign soon. one of the rules of marketing is that once a product has a niche, or a customer thinks "Marshall=Rock and Roll", pretty much nothing can dethrone that product (even when in real life, Orange kicks its *ss). unless Marshall starts marketing exclusively to jazz players sometime in the near future, don't get your hopes up.
Jason
Rocker 30
too many pedals

misterMagoo
Orange Master

Post by misterMagoo » Fri Mar 18, 2011 5:50 pm

Well its just a purely rhetorical thing, but I was just thinking, ya know? Like Orange seems to be having a huge resurgance right now. So maybe if it keeps going strong, then in like 20 years we will be seeing orange stacks in the back of ford suv's. Haha.
-Joe

RV50 mkI
AC30 combo

Hot tamale.

indianDYsummer
Orange Master

Post by indianDYsummer » Fri Mar 18, 2011 5:52 pm

I saw an Orange half-stack in an Airheads (the candy) commercial. It was in this huge rock stars mansion sooo it might be sooner than we think.

Eddie Famine
Orange Hero

Post by Eddie Famine » Fri Mar 18, 2011 5:59 pm

My daughter was watching "Pinky Dinky Doo" a cartoon on Nickelodeon the other morning and Pinky was in a band, or something, with Orange amps.
If I could get youtube from work I bet there is a video but
A I can't get youtube at work and
B Imagine getting caught at work watching "Pinky Dinky Doo."

Ohara
Orange Master

Post by Ohara » Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:45 pm

Personally I think it is all about marketing on Orange's part. It is hard for them to break a mold that has been cast for so many years by certain companies. Those companies have paid alot of money over the years to make sure there product is seen, even if it is not used (think wall of amps, when in fact it is actually a combo behind the wall that the player is using). It is the same with product placement in movies, you notice how in a film they drive alot of the same automobile manufacturers different cars, again think of the Camaro in the Transformers franchise, or the austin martin in the bond movies. You can bet those manufacturers paid a lot of money to make sure their product was shown in every commercial, or on the movie posters etc etc.

It is the old it takes money to make money scenario. I have noticed an upward trend in Orange's marketing lately as they seem to be getting more known bands and players endorsing their products, and also more advertising in magazines. If Orange could endorse a major televised music festival and have their amps as the backline for the entire show, this would give them huge marketing and advertising placement with photos of all major artists standing in front of their product. Even if the players never plugged a guitar in, the general audience would assume they were getting all their favorite songs played through the Orange amps and would now associate their favorite songs with the Orange product and would think all they had to do is buy that amp and they would sound just like thier guitar hero. This is the exact same reason why I bought my first Marshall stack, because I wanted to sound just like the guys I had seen and heard growing up, now I know differently, but at the time I associated those amps with my favorite artists which is why I wanted to stand in front of an amp that was the same as Jimi Page, Slash, Hendrix etc etc.
Just call me Ken

proud member #81 of the Tiny Terror Club
proud owner of Rocker 30 combo in white

chinese fork tie
Orange Master

Post by chinese fork tie » Sat Mar 19, 2011 2:08 am

although to be fair, the marshalls were a pretty big component of both hendrix and slash's tone.
http://myspace.com/rewritedept
i gotta movie in my head! you wanna see it?

Y0UNGBL00D
Orange Master

Post by Y0UNGBL00D » Sat Mar 19, 2011 3:15 am

an amp with "red + plus yellow" written on its wheat, picture framed grillcloth under an equally picture-framed, big knobbed head appeared on aqua teen hunger force. doesnt get more big time than that.

what about krank on metalocalypse? htf did that happen?
Thunderverb 50,
modded SG, pedals, shiner bock.

jason41224
Orange Master

Post by jason41224 » Sat Mar 19, 2011 6:53 am

misterMagoo wrote:Well its just a purely rhetorical thing, but I was just thinking, ya know? Like Orange seems to be having a huge resurgance right now. So maybe if it keeps going strong, then in like 20 years we will be seeing orange stacks in the back of ford suv's. Haha.
haha, well give me a 412 cab, a ford suv, and 20 years and i'll try to make that happen for you ;)

in all honesty, i'm pretty sure orange's recent surge in popularity is due to them starting to be carried by MF/GC. that gave them a huge boost in the sales, and the TH30/100 kept the hype coming. who knows, it could be my skeptical self, but i think orange will remain one of the better not-so-well kept secrets in the world of guitar amps.
Jason
Rocker 30
too many pedals

Y0UNGBL00D
Orange Master

Post by Y0UNGBL00D » Sat Mar 19, 2011 8:46 am

i think the popularity surged BEFORE the move to gc/mf, and thats why gc/mf started picking them up. probably due to tiny terror sales.
Thunderverb 50,

misterMagoo
Orange Master

Post by misterMagoo » Sat Mar 19, 2011 10:41 pm

Youngblood, you're probably right. They kicked off the lunchbox craze. That was pretty big.
Y0UNGBL00D wrote:an amp with "red + plus yellow" written on its wheat, picture framed grillcloth under an equally picture-framed, big knobbed head appeared on aqua teen hunger force. doesnt get more big time than that.
Now THAT is huge. Forget I even started this thread!!!
-Joe

RV50 mkI
AC30 combo

Hot tamale.

Y0UNGBL00D
Orange Master

Post by Y0UNGBL00D » Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:19 am

haha truth! i could be talking out of my butt, but wasnt that when the major marketing overhaul really began? new website and everything? i dont know, i didnt really hang out here until the TV50 came out, which is pretty much right when i bought it.
Thunderverb 50,

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Post by Randy Bass » Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:26 am

In the movie "Rock Star", I noticed that Vesuvius played M*rshalls and they were depicted as cheesy, lip-syncing ballbags, while A.D.D. played through Fender/SWR stuff. Maybe perceptions are evolving in the entertainment and marketing industries.

colfaxrev
Orange Expert

Post by colfaxrev » Sun Mar 20, 2011 4:40 am

i like orange being more obscure. makes owning one more special
http://animalbeast.fm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;