Gibson Les Paul Bass

indianDYsummer
Orange Master

Re: Hemp cones?

Post by indianDYsummer » Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:39 am

OU818 wrote:
nlimbaugh wrote:Anyone use these?
Hippies?

I heard if you crank a 100w amp through a 30W cone you can get your whole band stoned!

SlovakZombieHero
Tiny Terror

Post by SlovakZombieHero » Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:47 am

Iono guys, these all sounds pretty hazy to me.
Orange/ ESP nerd.

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:14 am

Never used hemp cones, no.

But I am a big fan of hemp - good stuff... :wink:

I have a fair number of hemp or hemp / cotton mix shirts and a couple of pairs of trousers too, including my favourite jeans. And yeah, though it is the same plant as drug cannabis, strains cultivated for hemp fibre have almost no drug content, so smoking the stuff (or frying the speakers :wink: ) would be pointless!

The oldest known woven materials were made from hemp, and it remains one of the strongest hardest wearing natural fibres. It is also very environmentally friendly, growing easily and sustainably. It doesn't need nasty chemicals for cultivation or processing such as are used for most cotton production.

It is mainly drug related paranoia which has made hemp cultivation in the US illegal. Of course it wasn't always so, and now the US is the worlds largest importer of hemp. Ironic, huh? :wink:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hemp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Andy.
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

myboss57
Orange Master

Post by myboss57 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:24 am

a.hun wrote:Never used hemp cones, no.

But I am a big fan of hemp - good stuff... :wink:

I have a fair number of hemp or hemp / cotton mix shirts and a couple of pairs of trousers too, including my favourite jeans. And yeah, though it is the same plant as drug cannabis, strains cultivated for hemp fibre have almost no drug content, so smoking the stuff (or frying the speakers :wink: ) would be pointless!

The oldest known woven materials were made from hemp, and it remains one of the strongest hardest wearing natural fibres. It is also very environmentally friendly, growing easily and sustainably. It doesn't need nasty chemicals for cultivation or processing such as are used for most cotton production.

It is mainly drug related paranoia which has made hemp cultivation in the US illegal. Of course it wasn't always so, and now the US is the worlds largest importer of hemp. Ironic, huh? :wink:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hemp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Andy.
Yup! And as a vegan hemp is one of the best sources of proteins and fatty acids out there. Very good for you! It's a shame that the 'drug war" keeps the US from growing hemp for industrial purposes, as what you said above is true - sustainable and a great resource all around!
I'd imagine the hemp cones would work fine, and probably be especially good if you are very environmentally minded.
Gibson SG Standard
http://www.nightmovesmd.bandcamp.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sovtek Mig 100h
TC Alter Ego
Mesa Oversized 412
Prev amps: 90s OD120, Tiny Terror, Rockerverb 100mk1

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:59 pm

myboss57 wrote:I'd imagine the hemp cones would work fine, and probably be especially good if you are very environmentally minded.
Sure. But I don't imagine there will be any one 'hemp tone' any more than there is any one 'paper tone'. The sounds of speakers depend on a lot more than the cones. Tone Tubby have a range of different drivers and Eminence have a couple too. They are all going to sound different.

And then there is speaker cone 'doping'... :wink:

Andy.
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

Neiloler
Lord of Orange

Post by Neiloler » Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:06 pm

I've got a Jensen Jet Falcon speaker, hemp cone, and I like it. That being said, while I'd imagine the cone material lends itself a little to the flavor of the speaker, it's definitely not the only factor or even biggest factor like Andy was saying.

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:11 pm

I was reading about hemp cones a while back and hemp paper is stronger and lighter than regular paper cones. Didn't go into much detail about whether there are different sound qualities or not, but I would assume the break-in would be a little different in character.

jord123
Orange Hero

Post by jord123 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:34 pm

I have 2 alnico and two ceramics from tone tubby in my super reverb, they sound phenominal. whish I had a cab I could use w/ orange though.
Rain..Ammunition