Ordered a Squier Classic Vibe Jazz Bass

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

baytamusic
Duke of Orange

Ordered a Squier Classic Vibe Jazz Bass

Post by baytamusic » Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:54 pm

Well, I'm jamming with some guys tomorrow and maybe starting a second band. Figured it would be fun to play bass. I ordered one of the Classic Vibe Jazz basses second day delivery so I can rock it tomorrow! My bandmate has some really nice MIJ and MIA basses I could borrow, but I'd hate to drop one or something. Figured it would be better to have my own axe.

Hoping the quality is good! I've heard a lot of good things about them anyways. I'm usually a P-bass fan but I thought what the heck, I'll play a Jazz Bass. They look cooler to me! haha. I'm going to probably play mostly overdriven all the time anyways. I'm not near as picky about basses as I am about guitars.

I'll post some pics when it arrives tomorrow.

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Re: Ordered a Squier Classic Vibe Jazz Bass

Post by Randy Bass » Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:41 pm

Good Choice! I nearly bought one of those, but opted for the Sonic Blue CV P-Bass instead. The satin neck is pretty quick and looks awesome on those J-Basses.

baytamusic
Duke of Orange

Post by baytamusic » Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:50 pm

Did you get the blue 50s style P-bass? I almost bought that one.

ScottyDanger
Orange Hero

Post by ScottyDanger » Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:50 pm

Good choice! Remember to go out and buy a new set of strings first, the stock squier strings are beyond terrible.
SG Standard / Telecaster / Cyclone
Fender '65 Princeton Reverb RI
MXR - M102 / M103 / M169

baytamusic
Duke of Orange

Post by baytamusic » Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:52 pm

ScottyDanger wrote:Good choice! Remember to go out and buy a new set of strings first, the stock squier strings are beyond terrible.
Right on. I was going to stop and get a pair of strings and some strap locks right after work today so they are ready when the Fed Ex guy shows up!

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Post by Randy Bass » Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:58 pm

baytamusic wrote:
ScottyDanger wrote:Good choice! Remember to go out and buy a new set of strings first, the stock squier strings are beyond terrible.
Right on. I was going to stop and get a pair of strings and some strap locks right after work today so they are ready when the Fed Ex guy shows up!
I would actually recommend buying four new strings rather than just a pair :lol: .

baytamusic
Duke of Orange

Post by baytamusic » Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:59 pm

Randy Bass wrote:
baytamusic wrote:
I would actually recommend buying four new strings rather than just a pair :lol: .
doi, haha.

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Post by Randy Bass » Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:05 am

baytamusic wrote:Did you get the blue 50s style P-bass? I almost bought that one.
I got the 60's P-Bass mainly because of the split pickup and the color (Sonic Blue). I would have been all over the 50's P-Bass if it came in Butterscotch Blonde/Black like the '51 Reissues though.

baytamusic
Duke of Orange

Post by baytamusic » Sat Mar 05, 2011 8:01 pm

This bass rules! Put on some fresh strings, oiled the fret board and set it up. I have the action really high because I'm not sure about the string buzz. Took away some balls by raising the action but I'm not getting those annoying metallic sounds anymore so I guess that's good. I play with a pick so the strings are getting a major work out.

Played it through an old Marshall 400w solid state bass head into a Fender 2x15 and it sounds good to me! I'll be using it through one of the older Ampeg SVT III through an Ampeg 8x10 later today! Should sound sweet. Next stop Orange AD200b! Maybe someday...

Last time I played bass in a band I had a MIM Jazz Bass. I think this one is much better quality and I like the neck 50 times more.

I'm too lazy to take photos and upload them right now. I'll post some for you guys sometime this weekend. Just image a white Jazz Bass with Rosewood fretboard and a tort guard for the time being. ;)

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Post by Randy Bass » Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:45 pm

I thought you meant the 70's Jazz Bass for some reason :oops: . The white one is nice too :D .

philhed
Rocker

Post by philhed » Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:02 am

+1 on the strings. they are terrible.

we got one 2 weeks ago, and i really like the bass. looks plays and sounds great.

one thing we noticed when we were editing the bass tracks (unfortunately not before, but got it fixed) was a popping sound from time to time, that came from the string hitting the too high pickup.

maybe you should check that.

Deacon Blues
Orange Master

Post by Deacon Blues » Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:43 am

i think i'm gonna get one of these too sometime soon. everyone is raving about them everywhere i go
My name is Alex. I used to have an AD30HTC, but now I have an RV50 and PPC212.

baytamusic
Duke of Orange

Post by baytamusic » Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:00 am

Deacon Blues wrote:i think i'm gonna get one of these too sometime soon. everyone is raving about them everywhere i go
You won't be disappointed. A few of my buddies tried mine out. One of them has a MIM Jazz and definitely thinks it's better than his. My buddy with a few 80s MIJ an MIA thought it was great and our bass player who plays a Ric thought it was a great bass too. I think all it really needs is a some new pickups and it's good to go.

AJS19
Orange Expert

Post by AJS19 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:02 am

HNGD! They are great! I got mine about a year ago to record bass for my album (still in the works). :P

Please, call me Austin.
My Gear List

baytamusic
Duke of Orange

Post by baytamusic » Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:04 am

And on a side note, not one sharp fret edge on the entire thing. NOT ONE! That's impressive for a low priced instrument IMO.