'62 Telecaster Custom

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

nguideau
Orange Master

'62 Telecaster Custom

Post by nguideau » Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:14 pm

Anyone have one of these? I'm thinking more about the American Vintage Reissues, but would also be curious what people have to say in regards to the Japanese RIs, and heck, a true '62.

I'm playing my Tele so much lately, and just can't get comfortable on my SG '61 RI any more, so I want to sell or swap it. I want another Tele, something with a classic Tele neck pickup instead of the mini-bucker like I have in the '52 RI Hot Rod. I also absolutely love the feel of the C-shape 7.25" neck/fingerboard on my Strat.

So, my search for another Tele with these specs (C-shape maple neck, 7.25" radius with rosewood board) turned up the '62 RI on Fender's website. I really dig the look as well, binding on a Tele body is a pretty awesome look.

Of course, I won't buy one without having played one, but I'm still a ways off from seriously entertaining buying one yet, as I have to unload the SG to both have the coin and have the space to bring in a new guitar. :)

So... anyone have one? Likes? Dislikes? Recommendations?
- Nathan

chinese fork tie
Orange Master

Re: '62 Telecaster Custom

Post by chinese fork tie » Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:19 pm

i think phil has one. other than that, never played one so i'm no help here.
http://myspace.com/rewritedept
i gotta movie in my head! you wanna see it?

nguideau
Orange Master

Post by nguideau » Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:03 pm

chinese fork tie wrote:i think phil has one. other than that, never played one so i'm no help here.
I know Phil has the '52 AVRI, which is the same as the Tele I already have, except with a classic Tele neck pickup instead of the mini-bucker. And I know those are great guitars, obviously. :)
- Nathan

Bandeapart
Orange Master

Post by Bandeapart » Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:40 pm

I have the 52RI, wish I had a 60's tele as well. I effing love teles, I definitely back your decision to rid yourself of the SG to acquire a second one. Wise choice grasshopper.
Orange AD30TC, Rickenbacker 360, 52RI Tele

nguideau
Orange Master

Post by nguideau » Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:20 pm

Bandeapart wrote:I have the 52RI, wish I had a 60's tele as well. I effing love teles, I definitely back your decision to rid yourself of the SG to acquire a second one. Wise choice grasshopper.
:lol: Yeah, I just can't get along with the Gibson radius and short scale any more. I am not a lead player, never will be, don't have that kind of speed and accuracy in my fingertips. 9.5" or 7.25" radii are so much more comfortable for chording than most Gibby radii.
- Nathan

jord123
Orange Hero

Post by jord123 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:17 pm

I have a 62 avri thinskin( seafoam green even!) love it, was it worth 1199? probably not, but it is seafoam green!. sounds a little thin compared to my jazzmaster uh duh, plays like a dream. its a 9.5 radius though. feells really comfy. Loves a fatboost3 and just about any amp I play it through.
Rain..Ammunition

Foef
Orange Master

Post by Foef » Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:36 pm

I own a Tokai Breezysound. Pretty much a copy of the '60's tele. Love the tone and feel of a rosewood fingerboard.
Mine is a rich and fat sounding guitar and i just love it. I use it for everything but heavy rock/metal. It has the 7.25 radius, but still has a very comfortable feel and excellent playability.

Get one and don't look back. You wont regret it.

Grtz, Bert.
Squier 15 (1988)
Mesa/Boogie F50 (2005)
Orange CR60C (2014)

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Factory/438445022903833
http://www.facebook.com/ODcoverband

pages plexitone
Orange Master

Post by pages plexitone » Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:14 am

I've had the pleasure to own both. I preferred the neck and the fit/finish of the CIJ tele. I took some pictures of the American's neck pocket gap (not that it makes a whole lot of difference sonically) and yeah... If you prefer a slimmer neck, the American might be a good choice.

-Joe

http://soundclick.com/blackvelvetelvis" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Purveyor of permanent hearing loss since 1978

pages plexitone
Orange Master

Post by pages plexitone » Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:26 am

I found the pics

-Joe

http://soundclick.com/blackvelvetelvis" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

baytamusic
Duke of Orange

Post by baytamusic » Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:31 am

Let me guess, the MIJ is the one with the tight well made pocket? I've owned a 86 MIJ 54 reissue Strat and played a ton of MIJ or CIJ Fenders next to MIA guitars and I always prefer the Japanese made guitars. They make way better necks for some reason.

pages plexitone
Orange Master

Post by pages plexitone » Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:37 am

Roger that. CIJ is the well crafted pocket.

-Joe

nguideau
Orange Master

Post by nguideau » Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:09 pm

Very nice, thanks for the input everyone. I will be keeping my eye out for a CIJ as well as an AVRI. I will look out for a Breezysound as well, but I just don't see Tokai guitars show up on Craigslist much. If I wanted to scour NYC I could probably find something, we'll see. :)

Joe, question for you since you've owned both the American and Japanese versions. In general, with all models, not just Teles, I've heard that the CIJ guitars are often better-made than the American counterparts, just more consistent and better fit and finish. But I've also seen that the CIJ guitars use lesser components. For example, I know a lot of people immediately swap CIJ Jazzmaster pickups out for either an AVRI set or some Duncans. And I've also heard complaints about the quality of hardware/saddles/switches/pots. Any truth to that in your experience?
- Nathan

pages plexitone
Orange Master

Post by pages plexitone » Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:58 pm

Nathan,

The higher end CIJ stuff use US Fender pickups, they also have some special runs with higher quality components. But as a general rule, yes, I replaced the pots and switches, and with the 52, I installed a US bridge tray. I think the bridge tray etc is more personal preference, I can't really hear any difference electrically.

They are both good guitars. Right now the Dollar/Yen exchange rate makes the CIJ stuff a bit less attractive. But still much cheaper than the US stuff.

-Joe

nguideau
Orange Master

Post by nguideau » Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:11 pm

Thanks a bunch for all the tips. I wouldn't mind upgrading myself if I got a good deal, obviously pots and wiring is cheap and easy, and even new pickups aren't that expensive. Especially when you consider an AVRI will set you back, even used probably $1200, while a Japanese model, with upgrades, could still come in realistically as low as $800.

The biggest challenge I think I'll have is finding one to play. I'm not necessarily hesitant to buy a specific guitar that I haven't played from a reputable retailer, so long as I've played that given model so I know what to look for in pictures and what to ask the shop about. But unless I can play a Japanese '62 RI, I might be sort of shoe-horned into an AVRI.

Patience is key I suppose. :) Can usually find the deal you want if you don't let the GAS pangs get to you. I actually think a trade of my '61 SG RI for a '62 AVRI would be a pretty square deal.
- Nathan

Deacon Blues
Orange Master

Post by Deacon Blues » Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:47 pm

i've played several...both japanese models and americans and i was impressed by them all.

i really dig the fender japan stuff across the board. i think i might sell some gear that i never use and get one.
My name is Alex. I used to have an AD30HTC, but now I have an RV50 and PPC212.