thunderverb 50 vs rockerverb 100 ADVICE PLS

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

xArapx

thunderverb 50 vs rockerverb 100 ADVICE PLS

Post by xArapx » Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:46 am

So recently I have played my first orange amp. It was a tiny terror, and I must say I was quite impressed.
I currently have a Mesa Boogie Triple Rectifier, and after 3 years of dialing in tones nothing satisfied me as much as the first 30 seconds of the tiny terror.

So I decided to upgrade to Orange.
Now, I play in a post-hardcore/indie rock band, and I understand that 15 watts is nowhere near enough, and many people said 30 wouldn't cut it either. So I've been doing a lot of research on these amps and Now I'm torn between the thunderverbs and the rockerverb mkIIs, I would like some advice.

1. I play music like underoath, norma jean, as cities burn, la dispute, circa survive.
2. my drummer hits HARD
3. There's a lot of debate on whether a 50 watt is loud enough.
4. I can't choose between mainly a rockerverb mkII 100 or a thunderverb 50.
5. I fill in for metal/hardcore bands on occasions.
6. I like a good classic rock type of tone.
7. I play a fender telecaster and a gibson les paul anywhere between drop d to drop b.

I know this is a lot of information, but it's a lot of money and I'm very set in buying an orange, and I am recording soon, and would love to have it by then.

One more thing, is the thunderverb 200 necessary?
Also, if a rockerverb 100 makes the cut, could i save money by purchasing a 50?

Dopp238
Orange Hero

Re: thunderverb 50 vs rockerverb 100 ADVICE PLS

Post by Dopp238 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:27 am

As a fellow member of a post-hxc/indie rock band, believe me when I say that 30 watts is enough. I've never played either of those two amps you're specifically looking at, but I wouldn't throw out the thought of getting a Rocker 30 or an AD30. I'm just saying, if you get a chance to try either one of them out, you should definitely do it.

I can't give you much more advice, but I can say you made the right choice in making the move to Orange from Mesa. They make some nice amps, but as far as tone goes, Orange blows them out of the water. Good luck in finding your sound and welcome to the forum!! :mrgreen:

Btw: UO & Norma Jean = Thunderverb. As Cities Burn and Circa Survice = AD 30 / Rocker 30.

I love and listen to all 4 of those bands and that's just my opinion. I wish ACB wouldn't have broken up. Cody always had such an amazing tone... He started out using an AC 30, then he switched over to a Bogner Shiva, fyi. Son I Loved You At Your Darkest is probably my favourite post-hxc album I've ever listened to. Soooooooo good!
Daniel.

AD30HTC / PPC412 / PPC212 / 92 Les Paul Studio / 07 Fender Tele

wrath
Orange Hero

Post by wrath » Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:34 am

it really depends on if you down tune and how low. if you go lower than D more watts are preferable. In that case go for a Rockerverb 100 or Thunderverb 200 (the TV has an attenuator and can be switched down to 100 watts). If you're not tuning lower than D, you're more than fine with a RV50 or TV50. Also if you're in need of a dedicated clean I recommend the Rockerverb.
Amplification: 70s OR120 Overdrive, Rockerverb 50 MKI, Rockerverb 100 MKII, PPC412
Axes: Tokai Love Rock LS-80, ESP LTD Viper 400
Synth: Novation Bass Station II

jason41224
Orange Master

Post by jason41224 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:39 am

here's the deal about watts. 30 watts is plenty loud to compete with a drummer, even if he was King Kong on Red Bull. what you will get with a higher watt-amp won't be more volume-at least, not much more. what you will get is more headroom (or more volume before your cleans turn dirty), and more bass response.

if you tune much lower than Drop D, you might want to consider a 50-100 watter. if you want to do both indie and hardcore, go with a rockerverb (or a thunderverb!). as much as i love my rocker 30, i gotta say that the rockerverb is probably the best amp for those who play multiple styles.

the difference between the rockerverb and thunderverb is it's voicing. the rockerverb is more modern sounding, and gets sort of fizzy as you turn the gain up. the thunderverb is more classic sounding; as you turn the gain up, it gets fuzzy.
Jason
Rocker 30
too many pedals

xArapx

Post by xArapx » Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:03 am

Thank you all very much! tomorrow I'm going to call a few local shops and see how many different selections of oranges they have and test some out. (my guitar center only has one tiny terror).

I do have one more rather silly question.....
Will all of these be able to power a Mesa 4x12 slant cab?

jason41224
Orange Master

Post by jason41224 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:09 am

as long as it's either 8 or 16 ohms, of course. if it's 16, it should be able to power two of them even.
if it has V30s, it'll sound very similar to an orange cab.
Jason
Rocker 30
too many pedals

venusandeve
Tiny Terror

Post by venusandeve » Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:54 pm

the 50 watt thunderverb handles a B string with no problems. plenty loud to keep up with a normal gig.
Music Man Steve Morse Y2D in C standard with EMGs (85/sa/60)
Music Man Petrucci 7 String w/ Crunchlab & Liquifire
Gibson LP Std in standard tuning w/ emg Hetfield set
Dean 30th Anniv. V. stock
Orange Thunderverb 50 into Kool&Elfring 4x12XL /w v30s

Dopp238
Orange Hero

Post by Dopp238 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:55 pm

xArapx wrote:Thank you all very much! tomorrow I'm going to call a few local shops and see how many different selections of oranges they have and test some out. (my guitar center only has one tiny terror).

I do have one more rather silly question.....
Will all of these be able to power a Mesa 4x12 slant cab?
Just another suggestion... I have a Dual Rectifier and an oversized Mesa 4x12 in my basement right now, and when I play my AD30 through the Mesa 4x12 and then switch over to my Orange PPC212, the 212 sounds quite a bit bigger with more depth to it. I always used to thing that Mesa cabs were real ballsy, and they do sound nice, but I'd suggest giving an Orange cab a shot whenever you're testing everything out just to hear the difference. The PPC 212 is bassier and thicker than the mesa. Again, just throwing it out there!
Daniel.

xArapx

Post by xArapx » Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:23 pm

Once again thanks guys, I do plan on getting an Orange cab eventually, but money is tight. Doing it one at a time.
I just wanted to make sure the Mesa would pull it off until I get an Orange cab.

Dopp238
Orange Hero

Post by Dopp238 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:09 pm

Hey dude, does your band have a myspace or soundcloud or bandcamp or anything like that? I have a feeling that our musical interests are much the same and I just wanted to be able to listen to some of your stuff!
Daniel.

xArapx

Post by xArapx » Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:12 pm

Not yet, we're in the middle of writing an e.p. and doing promo's. As soon as everything is done I'll send you a link. Do you have a myspace for your band?

Icarus
Orange Expert

Post by Icarus » Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:17 pm

The RV's and TV's are both superb amps and will definitely get you to where you want to go.
I've just recorded with them both with my band.
Here is the link to where I posted a couple of tracks if you wanna hear them. TV50 left side and RV50 right.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=43316" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
:)
Thunderverb 200
Rockerverb 50
PPC412hp8
PPC212cb
Les Paul Custom
American Standard Tele

Dopp238
Orange Hero

Post by Dopp238 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:31 pm

Icarus wrote:The RV's and TV's are both superb amps and will definitely get you to where you want to go.
Here is the link to where I posted a couple of tracks if you wanna hear them. TV50 left side and RV50 right.
Dude, this sounds pretty freakin sweet. Your screamer kinda reminds me of Showbread. Those amps sound great with each other in that recording. Very thick.
xArapx wrote:Not yet, we're in the middle of writing an e.p. and doing promo's. As soon as everything is done I'll send you a link. Do you have a myspace for your band?
Haha, we're actually shifting musically from what we used to play and we're going to start tracking our EP the first week of March... I'm not in any of these pictures, but this what we USED to do: http://www.myspace.com/taleoftwocitiesmd
Daniel.

Y0UNGBL00D
Orange Master

Post by Y0UNGBL00D » Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:52 am

i would say the TV50 is your best bet here, despite my obvious bias and its high price. but it honestly fits your goals the best. the tones from the later underoath albums can certainly be had on ch B with the gain and vol up and the shape to the right. and your goliath drummer will tell you to turn down if the cab is pointed at him, trust me.
Thunderverb 50,
modded SG, pedals, shiner bock.

xArapx

Post by xArapx » Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:34 pm

Dopp238 wrote:
Icarus wrote:The RV's and TV's are both superb amps and will definitely get you to where you want to go.
Dude, this sounds pretty freakin sweet. Your screamer kinda reminds me of Showbread. Those amps sound great with each other in that recording. Very thick.
xArapx wrote:Not yet, we're in the middle of writing an e.p. and doing promo's. As soon as everything is done I'll send you a link. Do you have a myspace for your band?
Haha, we're actually shifting musically from what we used to play and we're going to start tracking our EP the first week of March... I'm not in any of these pictures, but this what we USED to do: http://www.myspace.com/taleoftwocitiesmd

I liked what I heard from both of your guy's! bands Good stuff ;)