Need some advice from you guys

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

brianr0131
Orange Master

Re: Need some advice from you guys

Post by brianr0131 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:02 am

BillyOfOckham wrote: Second hand Oranges are pretty hard to get here in Germany ... even some of the biggest online stores won't sell much Orange besides Tiny Terror stuff :(
It would probably take me a long time until I get my hands on a used AD30TC :/
Have you actually played on the terrors or are you assuming you don't like them? I hope I don't sound insulting.

If you've never tried them, check them out with your guitar. They are VERY nice amps in their own right. DT is pretty versatile too.
Mesa Road King-Carvin Legacy 212-Silvertone 1484-Parker Fly DLX-Les Paul Trad Pro-USA ASAT-LP Junior-60's Tribute LP GTop-HWY1 Strat-Esquire Build-Peavey Predator-VHT Valvulator-Bud Wah-CMAT Signa Drive-Keeley Mod DS1-Monte Allum Dyna Comp-TU2-CE5-GE7-DD7

chinese fork tie
Orange Master

Post by chinese fork tie » Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:22 am

jason41224 wrote:
BillyOfOckham wrote:So I guess I'll try to get my hands on a Rocker head. If I see no chance getting it I probably see if the Thunder 30H satisfies me.
But what cab would be any good? I would prefer a 2x12 cab because of transportability ... I like this vintage Marshall sound but what cab and maybe what special speakers would fit my taste? How about the Marshall 1936V? I really don't know how good those Marshall Vintage speakers are :/
http://www.humbuckermusic.com
these guys have at least a few more R30s in stock. i'd hurry if i were you though

also, for 212s, i would look into avatar. a use a 212 with v30s with my rocker 30, sounds great. although, for your style you might wanna go with greenbacks. http://www.avatarspeakers.com
he's in germany. i'd imagine shipping would be a lot, as would switching the tranny and power to run 220-240v.
http://myspace.com/rewritedept
i gotta movie in my head! you wanna see it?

BillyOfOckham

Post by BillyOfOckham » Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:05 am

brianr0131 wrote:
BillyOfOckham wrote: Second hand Oranges are pretty hard to get here in Germany ... even some of the biggest online stores won't sell much Orange besides Tiny Terror stuff :(
Have you actually played on the terrors or are you assuming you don't like them? I hope I don't sound insulting.

If you've never tried them, check them out with your guitar. They are VERY nice amps in their own right. DT is pretty versatile too.
I actually played on a Tiny Terror head but not with my own guitar though. I guess I give them another chance especially the DT.

brianr0131
Orange Master

Post by brianr0131 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:40 pm

BillyOfOckham wrote:
brianr0131 wrote:

I actually played on a Tiny Terror head but not with my own guitar though. I guess I give them another chance especially the DT.
Try to have an open mind. Your own guitar is a must too, in my opinion. Just because they're the most affordable tube Oranges doesn't mean they're not super awesome! I'd check out the DT. You can dial in a lot of sound combos with them.
Mesa Road King-Carvin Legacy 212-Silvertone 1484-Parker Fly DLX-Les Paul Trad Pro-USA ASAT-LP Junior-60's Tribute LP GTop-HWY1 Strat-Esquire Build-Peavey Predator-VHT Valvulator-Bud Wah-CMAT Signa Drive-Keeley Mod DS1-Monte Allum Dyna Comp-TU2-CE5-GE7-DD7

hellagnar Brosevelt
Orange Expert

Post by hellagnar Brosevelt » Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:10 pm

I hate to steer you non Orange but you should be able to get your hands on an old Sovtek mig pretty easy should you not? They are voiced to be a very slighty ballsier and fuzzier JCM800. I would think you could get all the classic british crunch ever out of those. I have a Red Bear mk 120 which was the first version of the Sovtek stuff and it does brit great.
http://blackdots.bandcamp.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

BillyOfOckham

Post by BillyOfOckham » Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:15 pm

Just found a used Rocker 30C for sale for 550€ which is a bit less than a DT would cost new and a bit less than a TT Combo too. The description says it's nearly 6 years old now, got some scratches on the tolex but has no technical problems. The footswitch is included. It comes with the original Celestion Vintage 30. Is this a good deal and what should I check out if I decided to get it? I thought I might get this and if I don't like the tone of the speaker I've still got some money to get me a Celestion G12H-30.

indianDYsummer
Orange Master

Post by indianDYsummer » Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:18 pm

I would be wary of putting a g12h30 in the R30 combo. The rocker is a very hot 30W amp and will easily put out around 50W when cranked. If you plan on cranking the R30 I would steer clear of running it into 1 g12h30.

brianr0131
Orange Master

Post by brianr0131 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:42 pm

It's a good deal I think. I have a G12H30 in my R30C but I don't come anywhere close to cranking it at all so I haven't had any problems. If you're going to play really loud, I'd be careful with the G12H30.

I'd pull the trigger on that deal assuming you can try before you buy or at least return easily if you're unsatisfied. It's a phenomenal amp!

jord123
Orange Hero

Post by jord123 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:36 pm

ah...... I brought this exact thing up when I first joined the forum. I own both a r30h and an ac30hh, stuffed w/ mullards and other vos tubes. here is the break down, ps. I also play an avri thinskin jazzmaster. so!

I like to run the rocker w/ an ocd and a balckfinger for higer gain ( totally objective ) sound.
with the jazzmaster it can be epic!

for cleaner glassy sound I use the either channel or both on the ac30. both amps can hold their own in the studio, with the rocker being, more rock, mmmmm. punchy if you will, and the ac30 being a little more forgiving. or compressed if you will.

I have noticed that the ac30 will break up much sooner that the rocker especially w/hot pickups. My rocker doesn't like fuzz pedals. imo. but I haven't tried to many, I think Stephen uses a fuzz face.

my best advice to you is to go try an ad30 as I suspect it is somwhere between the two. and if I had my druthers I would probably own one, but have never had the pleasure of playing one probably a bit more versitile than r30 too. again all conjecture though.

I also use a 1960a cab that sounds pretty radical w/ the gt 75s(ick i know) in it. I recently replaced two w/ v30s, it gives me a little more top end. I also have an avatar 2x12 w/ a v30 and a g12h 30th in it. they both sound really good. I think I will soon try some alnicos though.

anywho, hope that helps. either way, if you go orange, you cant go wrong!

p.s. saw the reunion tour in p-town, and yes sprial's tone was good, but know where near stephens. plus the whole band made fun of him the whole show., it was suble, but it was there. especially when he tried to sing. even nostanovic was in on it. basically it looked like a really tight group of bros jammin' like the old days except spiral who was kinda the joke of the evening. ( sorry I hate him... not really)
Rain..Ammunition

BillyOfOckham

Post by BillyOfOckham » Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:11 pm

jord123 wrote:...
Thanks man, that helped me a lot. I probably end up waiting one month more so I can get the AD30 though I would have preferred the single channel version ... anyway I guess I try to get the head with a decent 2x12 cab to start with.
PS: I don't really like Scott too ... he always seemed so jealous of Stephen being the mastermind. And I feel a bit sorry for him sometimes ... :/

jord123
Orange Hero

Post by jord123 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:26 pm

yeah, I think If I had an ad30 instead of a r30, I might not have bought the vox. but like I said either way both oranges will blow you away. especially if you haven't had a tube amp before. welcome to tone heaven.
Rain..Ammunition

baytamusic
Duke of Orange

Post by baytamusic » Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:26 pm

Rocker for the EL34. :)

chinese fork tie
Orange Master

Post by chinese fork tie » Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:41 pm

jord123 wrote:ah...... I brought this exact thing up when I first joined the forum. I own both a r30h and an ac30hh, stuffed w/ mullards and other vos tubes. here is the break down, ps. I also play an avri thinskin jazzmaster. so!

I like to run the rocker w/ an ocd and a balckfinger for higer gain ( totally objective ) sound.
with the jazzmaster it can be epic!

for cleaner glassy sound I use the either channel or both on the ac30. both amps can hold their own in the studio, with the rocker being, more rock, mmmmm. punchy if you will, and the ac30 being a little more forgiving. or compressed if you will.

I have noticed that the ac30 will break up much sooner that the rocker especially w/hot pickups. My rocker doesn't like fuzz pedals. imo. but I haven't tried to many, I think Stephen uses a fuzz face.

my best advice to you is to go try an ad30 as I suspect it is somwhere between the two. and if I had my druthers I would probably own one, but have never had the pleasure of playing one probably a bit more versitile than r30 too. again all conjecture though.

I also use a 1960a cab that sounds pretty radical w/ the gt 75s(ick i know) in it. I recently replaced two w/ v30s, it gives me a little more top end. I also have an avatar 2x12 w/ a v30 and a g12h 30th in it. they both sound really good. I think I will soon try some alnicos though.

anywho, hope that helps. either way, if you go orange, you cant go wrong!

p.s. saw the reunion tour in p-town, and yes sprial's tone was good, but know where near stephens. plus the whole band made fun of him the whole show., it was suble, but it was there. especially when he tried to sing. even nostanovic was in on it. basically it looked like a really tight group of bros jammin' like the old days except spiral who was kinda the joke of the evening. ( sorry I hate him... not really)
i saw the tour twice, at coachella (second US gig) and at matador (final US gig) and i've gotta say you could see how quickly morale deteriorated in that band, particularly in regards to the relationship between malk and spiral. dunno, though, malk's tone is awesome. but there's something about a big sounding tele dlx through a dual showman, ... well y'all know the drill. icky all sticky.
http://myspace.com/rewritedept
i gotta movie in my head! you wanna see it?

jord123
Orange Hero

Post by jord123 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:50 pm

yea, I built a tele custom from warmoth w/ a riogrande pu in the neck sounds fat as hell. especially when I play through my surper reverb. but am planning a jazzmaster build w/ lollar wide ranges hb in it, as they are similar output to the originals. but just finished my bass so my wife has cut me off for a while.

dying for a new Jicks album though.
Rain..Ammunition

jord123
Orange Hero

Post by jord123 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:56 pm

ickey all stickey? I guess I am missing the reference. Icky Mettle?
Rain..Ammunition