Need some advice from you guys

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

BillyOfOckham

Need some advice from you guys

Post by BillyOfOckham » Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:34 pm

Hello there,
I'm right now in deciding which amp I want to get. On a side note I'm mainly aiming for a classical Brit sound. I mainly play classic 60's and 70's rock and a lot of 80's and 90's alternative and indie stuff. So it's a close fight between VOX and Orange but I tend a lot more to Orange.
I love the sound of Stephen Malkmus (former Pavement) guitar play and I know he mostly uses a Thunderverb 50w run through a Marshall 1960A (dunno what speakers he uses). But since this is far out of question budgetwise I would like to know what lower end Orange stuff comes close to it. I'm not a big fan of the Terrors (both Dual and Tiny) but what about the Rocker and the Thunder? Can't test the Rocker so I really can't know what fits my needs better but I always get to her it's much more "vintage" sounding than the Thunder.
Hope you guys can help a tube amp virgin out :)
Greetings

baytamusic
Duke of Orange

Re: Need some advice from you guys

Post by baytamusic » Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:40 pm

I think Steven plays a Retro 50. I'd say Rocker 30 head or AD30. I like the Rocker a TON. I have similar tastes in music as you and it works great in my band. I recently switched from Fender and Ampeg and I feel like a much better guitarist when playing my Rocker 30.

chinese fork tie
Orange Master

Post by chinese fork tie » Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:51 pm

i thought malk used an older orange. he's been using the same head since at least BTC, so it's gotta be an OR or OT series, yeah?

either way, i love oranges, but i totally prefer spiral's guitar tone. something about that dual showman just makes my icky all sticky.
http://myspace.com/rewritedept
i gotta movie in my head! you wanna see it?

BillyOfOckham

Post by BillyOfOckham » Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:00 pm

Did some "research" and he's using a wide variety of the bigger Orange heads. I figured the Rocker was kinda > than the Thunder because I hear a hell lot of "complains" about the Thunder being to "modern" und fitting kinda hard rock more. Is that a 1960 you're using? And what guitar do you mainly play through this stack?

baytamusic
Duke of Orange

Post by baytamusic » Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:01 pm

Here's his rig:

chinese fork tie
Orange Master

Post by chinese fork tie » Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:05 pm

baytamusic wrote:Here's his rig:

well i'll be damned.

and come on, no one went for 'makes my icky all sticky?' that was a classic and you fxckers know it.
http://myspace.com/rewritedept
i gotta movie in my head! you wanna see it?

baytamusic
Duke of Orange

Post by baytamusic » Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:07 pm

BillyOfOckham wrote:Did some "research" and he's using a wide variety of the bigger Orange heads. I figured the Rocker was kinda > than the Thunder because I hear a hell lot of "complains" about the Thunder being to "modern" und fitting kinda hard rock more. Is that a 1960 you're using? And what guitar do you mainly play through this stack?
It's a technically a 1982a (same size as a 1960a). The original speakers are not in it (would have been blackback g12h 30w speakers). I now have two 55hz g12m 25w blackbacks (greenbacks) and two 75hz g12m 25w creambacks. I use a 1987 Gibson Les Paul Junior. Pedal wise I use an MXR micro amp on all the time, MXR Distortion III, Boss TU2, and an EHX Memory Boy. I have some other pedals but I don't really use them so they aren't on my board. Love my setup. I went through tons of amps and guitars until I was happy. I wouldn't change a thing.

Just an FYI, I used to own an AD50 which is very similar to the Retro 50 and I prefer the sound of the Rocker 30.

Also, if you happen to try to visit my band page to hear my setup, it's not what you'll be hearing at all. That recording is mostly a 1960s Ampeg Gemini I and a 70s Fender Pro Reverb. I've since switched to the Rocker so my sound has changed some.

baytamusic
Duke of Orange

Post by baytamusic » Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:10 pm

BillyOfOckham wrote:Did some "research" and he's using a wide variety of the bigger Orange heads. I figured the Rocker was kinda > than the Thunder because I hear a hell lot of "complains" about the Thunder being to "modern" und fitting kinda hard rock more. Is that a 1960 you're using? And what guitar do you mainly play through this stack?
Also, he's more than likely using G12m 25w or G12h 30w in that vintage cab. The newer Marshall 1960a or b cabs with G12t75 75w speakers will sound nothing like a vintage Marshall cab really. They make the reissues with the greenbacks that seem pretty cool.

BillyOfOckham

Post by BillyOfOckham » Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:58 pm

So I guess I'll try to get my hands on a Rocker head. If I see no chance getting it I probably see if the Thunder 30H satisfies me.
But what cab would be any good? I would prefer a 2x12 cab because of transportability ... I like this vintage Marshall sound but what cab and maybe what special speakers would fit my taste? How about the Marshall 1936V? I really don't know how good those Marshall Vintage speakers are :/

baytamusic
Duke of Orange

Post by baytamusic » Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:05 pm

You could just pick up an Avatar 2x12 to match your Orange and pick your speakers. I don't personally like Vintage 30s but most people do so I can't really help you there. I prefer g12m Greenbacks myself. For a 2x12 I'd probably go the g12h30 route though.

Ohara
Orange Master

Post by Ohara » Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:20 pm

chinese fork tie wrote:
baytamusic wrote:Here's his rig:

well i'll be damned.

and come on, no one went for 'makes my icky all sticky?' that was a classic and you fxckers know it.

actually your response to them not saying anything about the icky being all sticky was better than the original saying :lol:
Just call me Ken

proud member #81 of the Tiny Terror Club
proud owner of Rocker 30 combo in white

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:35 pm

BillyOfOckham wrote:So I guess I'll try to get my hands on a Rocker head. If I see no chance getting it I probably see if the Thunder 30H satisfies me.
But what cab would be any good? I would prefer a 2x12 cab because of transportability ... I like this vintage Marshall sound but what cab and maybe what special speakers would fit my taste? How about the Marshall 1936V? I really don't know how good those Marshall Vintage speakers are :/

Could you get a 2nd hand AD30tc combo??

Sounds like it would do the job of what you want pretty well.
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

BillyOfOckham

Post by BillyOfOckham » Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:35 pm

baytamusic wrote:You could just pick up an Avatar 2x12 to match your Orange and pick your speakers. I don't personally like Vintage 30s but most people do so I can't really help you there. I prefer g12m Greenbacks myself. For a 2x12 I'd probably go the g12h30 route though.
Problem is Avatar doesn't ship to Europe so an Avatar is out of question sadly :(

BillyOfOckham

Post by BillyOfOckham » Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:38 pm

Les Paul Lover wrote:
BillyOfOckham wrote:So I guess I'll try to get my hands on a Rocker head. If I see no chance getting it I probably see if the Thunder 30H satisfies me.

Could you get a 2nd hand AD30tc combo??

Sounds like it would do the job of what you want pretty well.
Second hand Oranges are pretty hard to get here in Germany ... even some of the biggest online stores won't sell much Orange besides Tiny Terror stuff :(
It would probably take me a long time until I get my hands on a used AD30TC :/

jason41224
Orange Master

Post by jason41224 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:33 pm

http://www.humbuckermusic.com
these guys have at least a few more R30s in stock. i'd hurry if i were you though

also, for 212s, i would look into avatar. a use a 212 with v30s with my rocker 30, sounds great. although, for your style you might wanna go with greenbacks. http://www.avatarspeakers.com
Jason
Rocker 30
too many pedals