Captain Beefheart aka Don Van Vliet RIP

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Eddie Famine
Orange Hero

Captain Beefheart aka Don Van Vliet RIP

Post by Eddie Famine » Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:37 pm

A great artist and musician died today. Not everyones cup of tea, but a true individual. Google his art work. Listen to his music. Yeah, some days I can't take it either, but The Old Fart at Play, Trout Mask Replica and Big Eyed Beans From Venus always make me smile.

professor plum
Orange Master

Re: Captain Beefheart aka Don Van Vliet RIP

Post by professor plum » Sat Dec 18, 2010 1:04 am

sad, sad news. beefheart is the man.
valve.(((J0HN)))Resident village idiot
and some tech helper type said, "Gee, Mr Atkins, that guitar sure sounds fabulous!" Chet put the guitar on it's stand and said, "Well, how does it sound now?"

jason41224
Orange Master

Post by jason41224 » Sat Dec 18, 2010 7:48 am

heard about this today and was schocked. Beefheart was such an inspiring guy, both in his artwork and his music. definetly a little bit eccentric, but the world will surely miss him
Jason
Rocker 30
too many pedals

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Sat Dec 18, 2010 10:27 am

Thats sad. 'A bit eccentric'? Beefheart was a total one off. He even made his old school pal Zappa seem pretty normal at times, and that is saying something.

I keep hearing people who saw him play here (at the Concertgebouw), and he seems to have made quite some impression on them. Apparently his vocals were among the LOUDEST things they had ever heard and he totally dominated his 'Magic Band'. I only ever heard his recordings myself, first on John Peels BBC Radio 1 programme. Safe as Milk (with a 20 year old Ry Cooder) is corruping my CD player right now.

Didn't even know he had had MS. Thats a cruel disease, one I see daily at my work.

RIP.

Andy.
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

chinese fork tie
Orange Master

Post by chinese fork tie » Sat Dec 18, 2010 9:26 pm

this was bad news to get right before i went out to party that was supposed to be a celebration. we ended up getting really baked and listening to 'lick my decals off' at full volume. easily one of my top ten of all time.
http://myspace.com/rewritedept
i gotta movie in my head! you wanna see it?

Borderline Productions
Orange Master

Post by Borderline Productions » Sun Dec 19, 2010 5:15 am

A highlight for me is him singing an early version of The Torture Never Stops with Zappa.
Bob

http://www.purevolume.com/oxymora" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

TheOrangeJuicer
Orange Master

Post by TheOrangeJuicer » Mon Dec 20, 2010 3:09 pm

a.hun wrote:Thats sad. 'A bit eccentric'? Beefheart was a total one off. He even made his old school pal Zappa seem pretty normal at times, and that is saying something.

I keep hearing people who saw him play here (at the Concertgebouw), and he seems to have made quite some impression on them. Apparently his vocals were among the LOUDEST things they had ever heard and he totally dominated his 'Magic Band'. I only ever heard his recordings myself, first on John Peels BBC Radio 1 programme. Safe as Milk (with a 20 year old Ry Cooder) is corruping my CD player right now.

Didn't even know he had had MS. Thats a cruel disease, one I see daily at my work.

RIP.

Andy.

Hear, hear...

He was one weird dude and we wouldn't have had it any other way!
-Bill

Orange Amplification full line dealer
http://www.uptownaudio.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.biglickamplification.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;