Gut shots of vox ac4tv with questions

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Mrjones2004x
Orange Master

Gut shots of vox ac4tv with questions

Post by Mrjones2004x » Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:38 pm

Hi there following on from the other vox related thread i thought id ask a few simple questions to see if my proposed ideas are ok.
Here are the pics

My questions are,

There are 3 wires going to the attenuater one is earth and then a red and blue. The blue comes from the transformer and the red is from the speaker jack out which is used for disconnecting the internal and powering an external cab. Might seem like a silly question but to bypass the onboard attenuater i simply connect the blue and red together??

I think i have enough room to put an l-pad in the attenuaters place so would a 15watt 8ohm be ok for a 8ohm 4watt amp as i know they need to be overspeced? Not sure on how to connect an lpad yet but will look into. Any issues with where i want to place it?

The other pic is of the open back bod i done
Tone is everything

TheOrangeJuicer
Orange Master

Re: Gut shots of vox ac4tv with questions

Post by TheOrangeJuicer » Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:58 pm

The L-pad that you get should come with wiring instructions. If not, then find some for it. You'll simply be replacing the Vox attenuator with the L-pad, if that's how you want to handle it. If the L-pad mounts right into the Attenuator location, then no chassi mods are required, which is a plus. I'd make a very easy to understand drawing/diagram of the attenuator with the colors and lead destinations before you remove it. Keep that note inside the amp. That way, if you want to reverse it, say to sell it as stock, it's as simple as reconnecting it as it was.

The wires stay separated as they are now. The L-pad has three terminals. The ground or - terminal as listed on the L-pad instruction sheet will be connected to the green/yellow wire. The positive signal or + terminal will be connected to the blue wire. The center terminal will be connected to the red wire. That's all there is to it. 15w should be OK. I'd probably get a 25w if it were available and it'd fit in the location that you want it to. I always find that overbuilding everything helps things to not only sound better but to last longer. It costs a bit more, but you only buy once and you only cry once. You might find it more readily useful for another application later also.
-Bill

Orange Amplification full line dealer
http://www.uptownaudio.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.biglickamplification.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mrjones2004x
Orange Master

Post by Mrjones2004x » Tue Nov 23, 2010 2:19 pm

Thanks for that, i thought an lpad went between amp out and the speaker like youd told me you can make a small box and plug inbetween amp and cab as such. so can i use the lpad as the way they have done there circuit in replacement of there attenuater.

would it be better/more benificial to run the L-pad attenuater like they have or just before the speaker?

Hope this makes sense thanks
Tone is everything

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Tue Nov 23, 2010 3:49 pm

:lol: I was reading that fast and saw the big opening in the back off the amp. I thought you wrote ipad and wanted to fit it in the opening which looks the shape of one. A slower re-read was better understood. On on a break from work so I'm rushing.

TheOrangeJuicer
Orange Master

Post by TheOrangeJuicer » Tue Nov 23, 2010 3:53 pm

Mrjones2004x wrote:Thanks for that, i thought an lpad went between amp out and the speaker like youd told me you can make a small box and plug inbetween amp and cab as such. so can i use the lpad as the way they have done there circuit in replacement of there attenuater.

would it be better/more benificial to run the L-pad attenuater like they have or just before the speaker?

Hope this makes sense thanks
It does, but that's essentially what Vox has done with the attenuator. So if you want to replace the attenuator, just put the L-pad there. It is in between the amp output and the speaker.
-Bill

http://www.biglickamplification.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

TheOrangeJuicer
Orange Master

Post by TheOrangeJuicer » Tue Nov 23, 2010 3:56 pm

Jondog wrote::lol: I was reading that fast and saw the big opening in the back off the amp. I thought you wrote ipad and wanted to fit it in the opening which looks the shape of one. A slower re-read was better understood. On on a break from work so I'm rushing.
We'll have to wait for the OPC for that. :wink:
-Bill

Y0UNGBL00D
Orange Master

Post by Y0UNGBL00D » Tue Nov 23, 2010 5:18 pm

I thought iPad too haha

Just curious what's wrong with the stock attenuator?
Thunderverb 50,
modded SG, pedals, shiner bock.

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Thu Nov 25, 2010 1:19 pm

Mrjones2004x wrote:Image
OOOOOOOH, lots of lovely spade connectors... :(

Andy.
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

Mrjones2004x
Orange Master

Post by Mrjones2004x » Thu Nov 25, 2010 1:44 pm

Nothing wrong with attenuater, thought lpad would help retain some of the highs when set low. Didn't realise they did there attenuater like that too.

Spade connecters bad?
Tone is everything

Orphin
Duke of Orange

Post by Orphin » Thu Nov 25, 2010 1:59 pm

Mrjones2004x wrote: Image
Hey, my AC4TV doesn't look like that!?
I don't have the grille in the bottom. A very strange place for it. You would normally see a heat vent like that at the top of the amp and not in the bottom??
David
I'm speaking out of my a$$. Yours might differ.

Mrjones2004x
Orange Master

Post by Mrjones2004x » Thu Nov 25, 2010 6:39 pm

I modded the back myself as was to boxy sounding. Sounds better with no bass loss that I can here
Tone is everything

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Thu Nov 25, 2010 9:02 pm

Mrjones2004x wrote:Spade connecters bad?
Make Satan look like a saint. Okay they never sank the Titanic or downed the Hindenberg. But only because they didn't exist back then.

They are just a really cheapy crappy short cut to soldering - which is the proper way to do it. Unfortunately they are also to be found in Orange amps, to their eternal shame. These things often seem to be used for (critical!) speaker connections too. Never got that. First thing I do if I ever see that is cut them off and solder. But basically anywhere they are used they can loosen off and lose contact. I hate them! :evil:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=42344&p=511266&hilit=spade#p511266" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=39993&p=482629&hilit=spade#p482629" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Andy.
(On his one man mission to rid Orange amps of push on connectors! :wink: )
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

Orphin
Duke of Orange

Post by Orphin » Thu Nov 25, 2010 9:56 pm

a.hun wrote:
Mrjones2004x wrote:Spade connecters bad?
First thing I do if I ever see that is cut them off and solder.
That's what I did with the AC4.
David
I'm speaking out of my a$$. Yours might differ.