Orange Terror Bass head Speakon/jack??

Orange Amps Technical Q&A's

Moderator: bclaire

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Re: Orange Terror Bass head Speakon/jack??

Post by a.hun » Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:12 am

Oh ****. I'd contact Orange too if I were you gar. This is the second time I've heard of similar symptoms.
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=40799&hilit=+stage+shorted" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

May be nothing to do with the amp at all - there are other possibilities. But it does seem possible that there is an amp issue here. If so Orange NEED to know about it!

Thing is that there are now a good few of these amps out there actually being gigged and giving no problems. But if even a small minority actually have real problems like this than something would probably need sorted. As I say, don't just grab a new one - contact Orange. Alex or Will will want to know about this. Apart from anything else they'll probably help to get you sorted out as quickly as possible.

You in the US? Read this sticky thread: "Orange USA Technical Service"

Really sorry to hear that has happened. Let us know how it goes, yeah?

Andy.
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

gar

Post by gar » Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:51 am

Its ok mate, the online store i've bought it from is sorting it with Orange UK and they are detailing the problem with them. They are trying to get me one by the end of the week and if not they are offering me an exchange or my money back in full. They haven't heard of this happening with any of the terror bass heads they have sold before.

had a look at the post you linked to and that's exactly what happened last night. it shorted the whole ring main that the electricity was on!

Not such a great experience i was expecting however i do have to say, the amp has one hell of a sound.

I could barely get it past 2 or 3 on the volume with the gain at quarter the way up without our drummer not being able to hear what he's playing lol...

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:15 am

Yeah thats a real bummer. Impossible to tell of course what happened with your amp and the other one. Might be something related but no point in jumping to conclusions on that IMO. We'll see what happens...

Great to hear that you were getting such great sounds of course. Its just that you want to KEEP getting them! :?

Andy.

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

gar

Post by gar » Thu Nov 25, 2010 11:34 am

hi guys, an update on the cause of this issue...

it appears that a cable i had been using, is not a speaker cable and is in fact a guitar cable. it is a budget cable and is labeled as a speaker cable but after further inspection (ripping it apart) it is in fact just a guitar cable.

this caused the same effect as not putting a cable in the back of the head at all.... which caused a nice little black out.

problem solved... or half solved.. lol

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Thu Nov 25, 2010 12:48 pm

Good on you for getting back here and saying that! 8)

Yeah, 500W through an instrument cable ain't going to make for a happy amp...

How is the amp? Any news there?

Andy.

2littlelos

Post by 2littlelos » Tue Jan 29, 2019 6:41 pm

Hey folks,

I also just purchased a Terror Bass head and OBC112 cab, each which appear to have Speakon jacks.
I'm unfamiliar with speakon cables and have a few questions. Please let me know if anyone has suggestions.
1. Are there short speakon cables for sale somewhere for connecting amps to head without having a mess of cable involved? I've primarily seen very long ones listed on the internet. I'd like something that's only a few feet.
2. I see specs for 4 and 8 pole cables- any clue what the TB head and or obc112 cab require? Does it matter?
3. For gigging, I'm imagining I should have a 1/4" converter for direct out - any suggestions on this?

Thanks for the input. This speakon thing is all new to me.