Need a "third channel" on my Rockerverb 100

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

nguideau
Orange Master

Re: Need a "third channel" on my Rockerverb 100

Post by nguideau » Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:27 pm

Wendigo wrote:Instinct tells me you will get MUCH better results by using a drive pedal of some kind on the distortion channel of the amp. Set your clean to clean, the distortion to crunch (edge of breakup) and the drive to just a little bit of boost. That will drive the crunch sound into full-on distortion without getting too out of control in the feedback department.
+10000000

Of course, it depends on the pedal. But I think that most of the "boutique-ish" type overdrive pedals run best when you run them with less/moderate gain levels, and hit an amp that's already on or just over the edge of breakup.

This is where my Fulltone OCD shines. It's works well with a clean-as-a-whistle platform, but it really shines when the amp is at least starting to dust up a bit.

Another thing to consider is a ZVex SHO (or a clone). If you're already running with a decent amount of crunch on the "gain" channel of the amp, this would just boost the signal coming from your guitar, so you'd get a bit of a volume boost as well as a perceived gain boost, especially if you dig in harder on the strings.
- Nathan

DoctorJay
Orange Expert

Post by DoctorJay » Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:28 pm

baytamusic wrote:I'd just stay away from anything that colors your sound if you like your tones already.
I agree, it's just that 12 o'clock position on the mids for the TubeZone is still a bit scooped I think.
Jarret
Duesenberg Starplayer TV, American Special Tele (white)
Alvarez AJ60 12-string Jumbo acoustic, Takamine EF340
TT, 410 Cabinet, H&K Tubemeister 18 combo
Meinl Pickup Cajon

Le Chat Noir
Duke of Orange

Post by Le Chat Noir » Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:01 pm

Before you pick up anything too pricey, I suggest you have a go with an MXR Micro Amp - they work really well for kicking an amp into more driven tones and don't mess with your tone, works really well with both Oranges I've tried it on (R30 and AD30).
Teddy
The Blackwater Rebellion: 2-piece alt rock duo http://theblackwaterrebellion.bandcamp.com/
I play an AD30TC

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:06 pm

Le Chat Noir wrote:
bclaire wrote:I wouldn't be surprised if this worked:
http://www.butleraudio.com/tubedriver.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Those pedals have always seemed incredibly overpriced to me! You can buy several top class overdrives for the cost of one of those units...
That's what Johnny A. uses. Three of them.

David Verb
Rocker

Post by David Verb » Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:49 am

Wow. Thanks for all the contrasting opinions. I have a lot to think about.

I actually had to take notes on a sheet of paper to collate all these ideas. Haha.

I agree with pedals colouring the tone. And being a difficult job to demo the right pedal to complement my amp. All these amazing boutique stomps are difficult to come by down here.

I suppose I just want to drive the preamp, rather than rely on diodes to add clipping anyway. I invested thousands of dollars to hear tube distortion, I really shouldn't spoil it by spending a couple hundred dollars on diodes!

I'm all for clean boost. And there was a general consensus on the MXR Microamp. Plus it should be really easy to get my hands on one.

I like the look (and concept) of tube pedals, but I've never had the pleasure of really testing one! :(

For those who advocated dirtying up my dirt channel and Doctor Jay (Aussie, Aussie, Aussie... hehe). I have found that my Tubezone sounds pretty cool in front of the dirt channel. I set the Tubezone for heavy dirt, and back off the gain on the dirt channel... the result, to me is reminiscent of stoner rock. Think Fu Manchu. But I use it only for effect. I'm not sure it will become a staple but of my tone.

So...

In summation, drive the preamp with the most transparent clean boost (most likely MXR Microamp) to keep the integrity of the amplifier! I'm sure that on either channel I can get the desired gain in boost.

I'm still seriously considering a Tiny Terror though! Haha. It will not cost me much more than a quality tube pedal!! (In Australia anyway... we pay ridiculously high retail markups!)
Amp
Orange Rockerverb 100

Cabinet
PPC 412 HP 8

Bensen
Orange Master

Post by Bensen » Fri Aug 27, 2010 2:00 pm

David Verb wrote:I suppose I just want to drive the preamp, rather than rely on diodes to add clipping anyway. I invested thousands of dollars to hear tube distortion, I really shouldn't spoil it by spending a couple hundred dollars on diodes!
I use an Equalizer for that purpose (MIJ GE-7). I can just boost the volume or also shape the tone to cut more or sound bigger. Got inspired by Tom Morellos Pedalboard, and if its good enough for him ...

Le Chat Noir
Duke of Orange

Post by Le Chat Noir » Sat Aug 28, 2010 9:34 am

bclaire wrote:That's what Johnny A. uses. Three of them.
For the price of three of them, you could buy a very nice actual amp with three proper tube gain stages built in!! ;) Each to their own, I guess!

I know you like Johnny A's tone, but his rig doesn't sound like it'd be ideal for everyone and it seems counter-intuitive to me. From what you said on another thread, he runs three of these into a JMP-1, then to the desk? Personally I'd prefer to run some non-tube pedals into a proper tube pre or pre and power amp rather than three starved plate voltage tube pedals into a solid state pre...

I'm sure Johnny A has good tone, but if he's a good player he'd probably get a decent sound out of most rigs. This kind of setup definitely won't sound great for everyone.
Teddy
The Blackwater Rebellion: 2-piece alt rock duo http://theblackwaterrebellion.bandcamp.com/
I play an AD30TC

ironlung40
Orange Master

Post by ironlung40 » Sat Aug 28, 2010 12:35 pm

Le Chat Noir wrote:
bclaire wrote:That's what Johnny A. uses. Three of them.
For the price of three of them, you could buy a very nice actual amp with three proper tube gain stages built in!! ;) Each to their own, I guess!

I know you like Johnny A's tone, but his rig doesn't sound like it'd be ideal for everyone and it seems counter-intuitive to me. From what you said on another thread, he runs three of these into a JMP-1, then to the desk? Personally I'd prefer to run some non-tube pedals into a proper tube pre or pre and power amp rather than three starved plate voltage tube pedals into a solid state pre...

I'm sure Johnny A has good tone, but if he's a good player he'd probably get a decent sound out of most rigs. This kind of setup definitely won't sound great for everyone.
+ a lot more than 1

and in this video it seems that johnny a uses a proper tube amp. Those are marshall 30th anniversary models in his backline. If he is indeed using those, they are great amps. I have the 6100 head with EL34's and it is by far my best sounding marshall, and I also have the 2203, 2210, and a vintage modern.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJ7amOCI6DI" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sincerely,
Ironlung40
OR120 Pix/text
Tiny Terror HW
Rocker 30 combo
Rockververb 100 MKII
Thunderverb 200
Gibson SG 61 RI

Bensen
Orange Master

Post by Bensen » Sat Aug 28, 2010 12:56 pm

ironlung40 wrote:
+ a lot more than 1

and in this video it seems that johnny a uses a proper tube amp. Those are marshall 30th anniversary models in his backline. If he is indeed using those, they are great amps. I have the 6100 head with EL34's and it is by far my best sounding marshall, and I also have the 2203, 2210, and a vintage modern.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJ7amOCI6DI" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
wow thanks for sharing, awesome video

ironlung40
Orange Master

Post by ironlung40 » Sat Aug 28, 2010 3:50 pm

Bensen wrote:
ironlung40 wrote:
+ a lot more than 1

wow thanks for sharing, awesome video

your welcome....I thought it was cool too. 8)
Sincerely,
Ironlung40
OR120 Pix/text
Tiny Terror HW
Rocker 30 combo
Rockververb 100 MKII
Thunderverb 200
Gibson SG 61 RI

Wendigo
Orange Master

Post by Wendigo » Sun Aug 29, 2010 4:31 pm

Yeah Jonny A's tone is fine if you like old-fart-fogie-boogie. Gotta be the most bland and boring music and tone I've ever heard IMHO. Now I guess I can wait till Billy comes in here and craps on me/deletes entire thread. :lol:

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Post by Randy Bass » Sun Aug 29, 2010 4:36 pm

Wendigo wrote:Yeah Jonny A's tone is fine if you like old-fart-fogie-boogie. Gotta be the most bland and boring music and tone I've ever heard IMHO. Now I guess I can wait till Billy comes in here and craps on me/deletes entire thread. :lol:
There's a distinction to be made between tone and playing style. I think the tone is pretty good considering the amount of ground he covers stylistically. I can understand not liking his style of music, as it's not very modern-sounding :lol: !

tadaitstyler
Orange Hero

Post by tadaitstyler » Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:49 pm

Lovepedal Eternity Overdrive? Super transparent and works as a boost, od, and treble booster in one. Use the RV dirty channel as your crunch and the Eternity for your lead. The treble boost circuit as opposed to a classic tone circuit will help you cut through better when you kick it in, as well as adding a little volume with the volume boost. Twice the price of a TS9, but definitely worth it.

baytamusic
Duke of Orange

Post by baytamusic » Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:52 pm

Sounds like the Danelectro CTO-1 that I bought for $50. haha.

ironlung40
Orange Master

Post by ironlung40 » Tue Aug 31, 2010 1:22 pm

Wendigo wrote:Yeah Jonny A's tone is fine if you like old-fart-fogie-boogie. Gotta be the most bland and boring music and tone I've ever heard IMHO. Now I guess I can wait till Billy comes in here and craps on me/deletes entire thread. :lol:

You do seem to be the one who has the most negative comments on this board. Blunt, to put it bluntly. :wink:
Sincerely,
Ironlung40
OR120 Pix/text
Tiny Terror HW
Rocker 30 combo
Rockververb 100 MKII
Thunderverb 200
Gibson SG 61 RI