question(s) for dual terror users

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

jstippell

question(s) for dual terror users

Post by jstippell » Wed Aug 25, 2010 2:22 am

hey, new on this board so i apologize in advance if any of these questions have been asked, which i'm sure they have.

entertaining the idea of picking up a dual terror, i'm considering it mostly because i'm on a budget. like most people (i imagine), i'm concerned mostly with the amount of volume i'll be getting out of it and whether or not it will be enough to compete with another guitarist(who uses a 70 watt silverface bassman) as well as bass and drums. i'm assuming i'll be running it mostly on fairly high volumes, so my questions for those who use this amp in a full band setting are...

is it loud enough to gig with? keep in mind i rarely (at this stage of the game) play large venues, but i also rarely have the luxury of mic-ing my amp/cabinet.

will the TT channel stay relatively clean for long periods of time at high volumes?

are the two channels equal in volume, in other words if i use the TT channel as a "clean", will the Fat channel be much louder than the TT channel if i use it with fairly high gain settings?

how does the DT react with pedals? specifically reverb and delay

any common concerns or problems with the amp?

and finally, what would be the most logical step-up from the DT in the orange line without breaking the bank.

sorry, this was a bit long-winded, but i need some help!

OU818
Orange Master

Re: question(s) for dual terror users

Post by OU818 » Wed Aug 25, 2010 3:32 am

is it loud enough to gig with? keep in mind i rarely (at this stage of the game) play large venues, but i also rarely have the luxury of mic-ing my amp/cabinet.
Yes the Dual Terror is loud enough for small/medium venues. Anything more than this you may want to mic it.

will the TT channel stay relatively clean for long periods of time at high volumes?
The TT channel on high volume will not be particularly clean.

are the two channels equal in volume, in other words if i use the TT channel as a "clean", will the Fat channel be much louder than the TT channel if i use it with fairly high gain settings?
The FAT channel is a 30 watt channel whereas the TT channel is 15 watt so there will be a difference in output on same settings. However just set your levels on each channel before you play.

how does the DT react with pedals? specifically reverb and delay
I used both Reverb and Delay on my DT and it always handled it fine. I also used Trems, Overdrives, Wahs, Chrosus and Fuzz. Never a problem with any of them

any common concerns or problems with the amp?
There have been reports of dud tubes when new however this could be the same with any tube amp. They also heat up a bit but once again, most tube amps do. One of the guys here had a problem with two DT's in a row however it sounds like an unfortunate, yet isolated incidence.

and finally, what would be the most logical step-up from the DT in the orange line without breaking the bank.

Rocker 30 :D
Orange Gear:
AD200B MkIII
OBC810

Non-Orange:
Bergantino NXT212
Bergantino Forte D
Woogie Lessie
Laney DBV-410

Basses:
Ernie Ball Stingray 4H
Rickenbacker 4003
Gibson Midtown Signature
Gibson Thunderbird
Gibson Nikki Sixx Thunderbird
Gibson Les Paul Bass

David Verb
Rocker

Post by David Verb » Wed Aug 25, 2010 3:59 am

Hi Jstippel,

I just joined today as well. :D

I currently own a Rockerverb 100 (with a PPC 412 HP8 Cab). But I had the pleasure of playing a dual terror through a 412 cabinet during my last visit to my local guitar shop.

Using an American Deluxe Strat plugged directly into the Dual Terror, the 30 watt at halfway was significantly loud. The 15 watt channel at full blast blew my head off (Bearing in mind I was sitting directly in front of the cabinet). After that I didn't dare pushing the 30 watt setting.

I couldn't honestly tell you if it's loud enough to gig with. You may want to hear from other users with the actual dual terror. But I can definitely tell you my Rockerverb 100 is ridiculously loud. Perhaps too loud. Amongst my band, I have no problem keeping my cleans clean.

However, I cannot get tube saturation on my clean channel without deafening the drummer (or the whole band for that matter), the weight of my total rig is 75 kilograms (165 pounds), and I know personally my amp doesn't like my O/D pedals. (I just posted this topic earlier)

The Dual Tiny Terror will break up when cranked, but this is the glory of it. I am considering investing in a Tiny Terror just so I can crank the output tubes without killing my dog.

Like any other dual channel amp, the channels volume can be matched by using a careful ear (if it's not deaf yet. hehe) and by balancing the Gain & Volume knobs.

Good luck with your amp shopping. Hopefully some other users can answer your other questions.

David
Amp
Orange Rockerverb 100

Cabinet
PPC 412 HP 8

Nork
Orange Master

Post by Nork » Wed Aug 25, 2010 1:03 pm

OU818 wrote:
The FAT channel is a 30 watt channel whereas the TT channel is 15 watt so there will be a difference in output on same settings. However just set your levels on each channel before you play.
i don't believe that this is true, actually. there's switches to change it from 30/15/7 on the unit, but they're not channel specific. i could be wrong tho.
--Nick

Parker Nitefly SA -> TC PolyTune -> OLER Box ->Timmy -> MP SHOD -> Eventide TimeFactor/e3 -> Orange TT -> Avatar 112 (Weber 1225)

WAWBanks
Orange Hero

Post by WAWBanks » Wed Aug 25, 2010 2:05 pm

I have been gigging the dual terror in small/medium venues since it was released with no problems. I use the fat channel as my warm clean channel. For best clean results - max the volume knob and use your gain knob to control the actual volume and you should have no problems. I sometime play in a big band and have no trouble keeping up with everyone else's volume because when you set the amp to 30W; both channels are 30W just to clear up the confusion. You won't regret the dual terror.

OU818
Orange Master

Post by OU818 » Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:49 pm

This is why Orange needs users manuals. I owned and played the DT for a year and was always under the impression that the TT channel was 15w. Sucks to be me.
Orange Gear:
AD200B MkIII
OBC810

Non-Orange:
Bergantino NXT212
Bergantino Forte D
Woogie Lessie
Laney DBV-410

Basses:
Ernie Ball Stingray 4H
Rickenbacker 4003
Gibson Midtown Signature
Gibson Thunderbird
Gibson Les Paul Bass

OU818
Orange Master

Post by OU818 » Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:11 pm

How about I just shut the hell up now.

http://www.orangeamps.com/admin/downloa ... al_web.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:oops: :lol:
Orange Gear:
AD200B MkIII
OBC810

Non-Orange:
Bergantino NXT212
Bergantino Forte D
Woogie Lessie
Laney DBV-410

Basses:
Ernie Ball Stingray 4H
Rickenbacker 4003
Gibson Midtown Signature
Gibson Thunderbird
Gibson Les Paul Bass

jason41224
Orange Master

Post by jason41224 » Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:36 pm

yeah, that's what i thought. because it's the beefier transformers that made the amp 30w on the whole amp, not just the fat channel
Jason
Rocker 30
too many pedals

OU818
Orange Master

Post by OU818 » Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:39 pm

jason41224 wrote:yeah, that's what i thought. because it's the beefier transformers that made the amp 30w on the whole amp, not just the fat channel
I always thought that the Tiny Terror channel cut the power output by half. Now hat I think of it, having a full and half power switch along with the 2 and 4 output tube switch would be a bit redundant if the channels also halved the power.

Anyway, I stand by the rest of my advice :D
Orange Gear:
AD200B MkIII
OBC810

Non-Orange:
Bergantino NXT212
Bergantino Forte D
Woogie Lessie
Laney DBV-410

Basses:
Ernie Ball Stingray 4H
Rickenbacker 4003
Gibson Midtown Signature
Gibson Thunderbird
Gibson Les Paul Bass

ironlung40
Orange Master

Post by ironlung40 » Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:40 pm

WAWBanks wrote:I have been gigging the dual terror in small/medium venues since it was released with no problems. I use the fat channel as my warm clean channel. For best clean results - max the volume knob and use your gain knob to control the actual volume and you should have no problems. I sometime play in a big band and have no trouble keeping up with everyone else's volume because when you set the amp to 30W; both channels are 30W just to clear up the confusion. You won't regret the dual terror.

yes, both channels are 30 watt from my understanding, and as mentioned above a step up would be the rocker 30. Well, I guess the rocker 30 is a step up if you want a full eq and a mostly dedicated clean/natural channel....As for volume, I don't know which is loudest, but I know the rocker 30 can play with the big boys. It is an insanely loud amp....Clark Vogeler of the Toadies uses a rocker 30 through a 4x12 and they played lollapalooza in 08'. Granted all rigs were mic'd, but still he shares the stage with a 2203 100 watt marshall, and mixes well.....so if the dual terror is switchable to 30 watts I wouldn't worry about volume, unless I was after loud cleans too. then another amp may be in order.
Sincerely,
Ironlung40
OR120 Pix/text
Tiny Terror HW
Rocker 30 combo
Rockververb 100 MKII
Thunderverb 200
Gibson SG 61 RI

jason41224
Orange Master

Post by jason41224 » Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:21 am

i've found that if there's anything that 30 watts is too quiet for, you're usually being mic'd anyways.
Jason
Rocker 30
too many pedals

baytamusic
Duke of Orange

Post by baytamusic » Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:05 am

jason41224 wrote:i've found that if there's anything that 30 watts is too quiet for, you're usually being mic'd anyways.
Pristine cleans at band practice, bam, gotcha!

jstippell

Post by jstippell » Sat Aug 28, 2010 2:49 am

thanks for all the feedback guys, i have to say, this has got to be the friendliest board i've ever posted on. i've decided to hold off on the DT in favor of either a rocker 30 or a thunder 30 (as soon as my local shop gets one in). still love everything about the DT, just doesn't seem like it's going to be the most practical choice at this stage of the game. thanks again!

jason41224
Orange Master

Post by jason41224 » Sat Aug 28, 2010 6:25 am

baytamusic wrote:
jason41224 wrote:i've found that if there's anything that 30 watts is too quiet for, you're usually being mic'd anyways.
Pristine cleans at band practice, bam, gotcha!
haha, i wish. we practice in a tin can of a room, and our drummer is a beast, but our 30 watters cranked reduce him to nothing. we never get to turn up all the way unless we gig :P it's a necessary evil.
Jason
Rocker 30
too many pedals