AD140HTC + no tube retainers or preamp covers??

Orange Amps Technical Q&A's

Moderator: bclaire

ironlung40
Orange Master

AD140HTC + no tube retainers or preamp covers??

Post by ironlung40 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:34 pm

Hello,

I got a decent deal on a AD140HTC, but upon removing the rear panel I found that there are no tube retainers on the output tubes, or covers on the preamp tubes, nor does it have any way to add any. Is this normal, or has this amp been tampered with. I've seen some pics on line of others with covers and retainers, but this amp looks legit to me. I've opened her up, and I cannot see any signs of tampering. All of the solder, etc. looks stock. I will attach a photo or two, when I can.

Ironlung
Sincerely,
Ironlung40
OR120 Pix/text
Tiny Terror HW
Rocker 30 combo
Rockververb 100 MKII
Thunderverb 200
Gibson SG 61 RI

ironlung40
Orange Master

Re: AD140HTC + no tube retainers or preamp covers??

Post by ironlung40 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:20 am

O.k.

It appears that the retainers and covers have just been removed. I'll have to get some replacements. Anybody know where to go to get them?

I may be able to get the original ones, though. I'm working on that right now.

Ironlung40
Sincerely,
Ironlung40
OR120 Pix/text
Tiny Terror HW
Rocker 30 combo
Rockververb 100 MKII
Thunderverb 200
Gibson SG 61 RI

screamingdaisy
Orange Master

Post by screamingdaisy » Sat Jul 17, 2010 1:00 am

The preamp covers Orange uses are super cheap and bend/deform in your hand as you remove them. Someone probably had their's fold in half on them and removed the rest of the cover so that they could at least see the socket when swapping preamp tubes.

No idea on why they would've removed the power tube retainers... maybe they got carried away or something?

Either way, I wouldn't bother with ordering new preamp tube covers. They're not really neccissary.
Les Paul -> Wah -> Amp
Electric Amp 120w MV - Orange 4x12 + Electric 4x12

ironlung40
Orange Master

Post by ironlung40 » Sat Jul 17, 2010 2:32 pm

screamingdaisy wrote:The preamp covers Orange uses are super cheap and bend/deform in your hand as you remove them. Someone probably had their's fold in half on them and removed the rest of the cover so that they could at least see the socket when swapping preamp tubes.

No idea on why they would've removed the power tube retainers... maybe they got carried away or something?

Either way, I wouldn't bother with ordering new preamp tube covers. They're not really neccissary.
Thanks. I found some at antique electronic supply for really cheap prices. I'm in no hurry to buy any, but I'll eventually put the output tube retainers on as one of the tubes fell out during transport once. Now that I know how easy these are to get, I'm not concerned about it anymore.
Sincerely,
Ironlung40
OR120 Pix/text
Tiny Terror HW
Rocker 30 combo
Rockververb 100 MKII
Thunderverb 200
Gibson SG 61 RI