OR120 or New Head with similiar tone?

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

MJH

Re: OR120 or New Head with similiar tone?

Post by MJH » Tue Jun 22, 2010 2:53 pm

sixstringstrangler wrote:I have a Matamp GTO120, great amp, I'm in the process of buying a 70's Orange OR120 I can't wait to compare the two. My Matamp was built this year and I had a Black Face Plate made for it. I have a friend that is interested in selling his Matamp GT1 let me know if your interested.

Man, you have some sweet gear!

Can you tell me what the difference is between your Matamp and your friends? I have been on Matamps website many times and I have looked at the Retro and the GT1. Why does your friend want to sell it?
1972 ORANGE OR120 "pics only"
MESA BOOGIE TRIPLE RECTIFIER
MESA BOOGIE RECTIFIER CAB.
GIBSON SG
GIBSON LES PAUL STUDIO
GIBSON LES PAUL CUSTOM BLACK BEAUTY
LTD VIPER BARITONE
IBANEZ UNIVERSE

sixstringstrangler
Tiny Terror

Post by sixstringstrangler » Tue Jun 22, 2010 3:39 pm

MJH wrote:
sixstringstrangler wrote:I have a Matamp GTO120, great amp, I'm in the process of buying a 70's Orange OR120 I can't wait to compare the two. My Matamp was built this year and I had a Black Face Plate made for it. I have a friend that is interested in selling his Matamp GT1 let me know if your interested.

Man, you have some sweet gear!

Can you tell me what the difference is between your Matamp and your friends? I have been on Matamps website many times and I have looked at the Retro and the GT1. Why does your friend want to sell it?

thanks mjh, the gt1 is a master volume(gtl) and non master volume (gto) amp. it has a switch that flips between both modes, it also has a half power switch. the retro series is made to the same specs as 70's matamps, they are just either gto or gtl which ever one you end up ordering. this is my fourth matamp and i love the tone. but i'm curious to see how the matamp compares to the orange or120 built in the 70's

kodax
Tiny Terror

Post by kodax » Thu Jun 24, 2010 4:51 pm

You want the Orange Retro 50, same but better:)
Gibson LPC 68RI & Gibson ES175
Orange Retro 50 w/PPC412A+PPC212 & Swart AST

TESLA_EL34
Orange Master

Post by TESLA_EL34 » Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:25 am

the matamp wipes the orange retro :lol:
accept darkness.

BLS
Rocker

Post by BLS » Sat Jun 26, 2010 1:01 pm

Here's a couple on ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/1973-ORANGE-OR120-V ... 45f3a6b1de" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://cgi.ebay.com/1970s-Orange-OR120- ... 2eaddea2cf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

BrianPhase90

Post by BrianPhase90 » Sat Jun 26, 2010 7:30 pm

TESLA_EL34 wrote:id say go for the matamp. the gt retro or gt1 is what you want.
orange amps arent bad, but i think matamps STILL have more tone.
the or120 is similar to the GT120 and GT1/GT Retro.

great amp, i will never sell it. you can't get those tones from other amps.

Oh look who chimed in... :D :D

GT120 love here as well....

MJH

Post by MJH » Wed Jul 07, 2010 5:36 pm

Ok, so I've been doing a little more research since I posted this last and I have been talking with Matamp and Electric Amp.

From what I have heard is that the Electric/Black Amp 120watt EL34 volume unit is based off of the OR120 and the GTO120.

Is this true and does anyone have any experience with Electric Amp?

I'm thinking of getting an Electric/Black Amp 120watt in the volume unit or the master volume unit (not sure which one yet) or the Matamp GT1.
GIBSON SG
GIBSON LES PAUL STUDIO
LTD VIPER BARITONE
IBANEZ UNIVERSE

jojo68
Orange Master

Post by jojo68 » Wed Jul 07, 2010 8:13 pm

MJH wrote:Ok, so I've been doing a little more research since I posted this last and I have been talking with Matamp and Electric Amp.

From what I have heard is that the Electric/Black Amp 120watt EL34 volume unit is based off of the OR120 and the GTO120.

Is this true and does anyone have any experience with Electric Amp?

I'm thinking of getting an Electric/Black Amp 120watt in the volume unit or the master volume unit (not sure which one yet) or the Matamp GT1.
I think the electrics are based on those amps. I have several friends that have them or have had them.They all hve good things to say about them. Only downfall is you will wait over a year for it. I didn't have the patience for that.

MJH

Post by MJH » Sun Aug 22, 2010 5:22 pm

Just to let everyone know in case you haven't heard.

Matamp has a new website and they are now producing new GT120 heads.
GIBSON SG
GIBSON LES PAUL STUDIO
LTD VIPER BARITONE
IBANEZ UNIVERSE

sixstringstrangler
Tiny Terror

Post by sixstringstrangler » Sun Aug 22, 2010 5:33 pm

MJH wrote:Just to let everyone know in case you haven't heard.

Matamp has a new website and they are now producing new GT120 heads.

yeah they pretty much always produced the 120 heads, if it wasn't on the website, all you had to do is ask and they had no problem making them...

MJH

Post by MJH » Sat Sep 04, 2010 3:51 pm

So, I was emailing back and forth with the main distributor for Matamp sales in the USA. I believe he is out of Canada and he keeps telling me to stay away from the GT120's new and old. He said the tubes blow or go bad a lot with them. Has anyone else heard of this? So after talking with him I bought a 1972 Orange OR120 "pics only". That's the head I wanted anyways but I would rather have a brand new head. So, if I get another one I think I'll be leaning towards Electric Amps or a new head from Orange. I really like the tone of the Thunderverb 50. But I'm checking out the OR50H, the Retro 50 and the Rockerverb 50. I have only been able to find the Thunderverb 50 in person so far.
GIBSON SG
GIBSON LES PAUL STUDIO
LTD VIPER BARITONE
IBANEZ UNIVERSE

sixstringstrangler
Tiny Terror

Post by sixstringstrangler » Sat Sep 04, 2010 9:29 pm

MJH wrote:So, I was emailing back and forth with the main distributor for Matamp sales in the USA. I believe he is out of Canada and he keeps telling me to stay away from the GT120's new and old. He said the tubes blow or go bad a lot with them. Has anyone else heard of this? So after talking with him I bought a 1972 Orange OR120 "pics only". That's the head I wanted anyways but I would rather have a brand new head. So, if I get another one I think I'll be leaning towards Electric Amps or a new head from Orange. I really like the tone of the Thunderverb 50. But I'm checking out the OR50H, the Retro 50 and the Rockerverb 50. I have only been able to find the Thunderverb 50 in person so far.

it's interesting that the matamp distributor would tell you to stay away for the GT120's....why would he shoot himself in the foot with potential customers?

good score on the pic's only head.

TESLA_EL34
Orange Master

Post by TESLA_EL34 » Sat Sep 04, 2010 9:52 pm

sixstringstrangler wrote:
MJH wrote:So, I was emailing back and forth with the main distributor for Matamp sales in the USA. I believe he is out of Canada and he keeps telling me to stay away from the GT120's new and old. He said the tubes blow or go bad a lot with them. Has anyone else heard of this? So after talking with him I bought a 1972 Orange OR120 "pics only". That's the head I wanted anyways but I would rather have a brand new head. So, if I get another one I think I'll be leaning towards Electric Amps or a new head from Orange. I really like the tone of the Thunderverb 50. But I'm checking out the OR50H, the Retro 50 and the Rockerverb 50. I have only been able to find the Thunderverb 50 in person so far.

it's interesting that the matamp distributor would tell you to stay away for the GT120's....why would he shoot himself in the foot with potential customers?

can you copy the email :D ?
how is he supposed to sell something with that kind of information
accept darkness.

MJH

Post by MJH » Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:25 am

TESLA_EL34 wrote:
sixstringstrangler wrote:

can you copy the email :D ?
how is he supposed to sell something with that kind of information

Here is what he told me in the email.

"If you plan on using the amp at full volume, i suggest you get the GT1 or the GT200 instead. the GT120 is an old design and you will go through tubes every couple of months. the GT1 will do the same tone as the GT120 but with even more bass and more tone possibilities."
Last edited by MJH on Sun Sep 05, 2010 2:44 am, edited 3 times in total.
GIBSON SG
GIBSON LES PAUL STUDIO
LTD VIPER BARITONE
IBANEZ UNIVERSE

jojo68
Orange Master

Post by jojo68 » Sun Sep 05, 2010 2:33 am

Never heard that, check with the dudes on the matamp forum.