Wah pedals!

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

dave5150
Tiny Terror

Re: Wah pedals!

Post by dave5150 » Sun Jun 20, 2010 12:15 pm

I like the switchless Wahs and have a Morley Bad Horsie and after that I bought a Dunlop 95Q as it is smaller and fits onto the pedalboard better! :P

I like the different sounds of both but mainly use the Dunlop.

howdy-doo
Orange Master

Post by howdy-doo » Sun Jun 20, 2010 3:17 pm

Van Cleef wrote:
howdy-doo wrote:i use the morley bad horsie wah, does evenrything i need it too and sounds good too

i also use the bad horsie after using a vox for a long while

not having to click a switch to turn a wah off/on is a complete revelation - and makes you realise just how prohibitive regular switching wahs are
the switchless operation was one of the main reasons i got it, i like to be able to just put my foot on it and it work, not that its a lot of effort to push the switch on normal wah's, i just prefer not having to :lol:
Liam

jojo68
Orange Master

Post by jojo68 » Sun Jun 20, 2010 5:24 pm

Best pedal ever

Orphin
Duke of Orange

Post by Orphin » Sun Jun 20, 2010 5:38 pm

My favourites are The RMC Picture Wah and the Jim Dunlup "Jimi Hendrix" Cry baby. They both have a wide sweep which I like, but sound different.
David
I'm speaking out of my a$$. Yours might differ.

indianDYsummer
Orange Master

Post by indianDYsummer » Sun Jun 20, 2010 6:04 pm

howdy-doo wrote:
Van Cleef wrote:
howdy-doo wrote:i use the morley bad horsie wah, does evenrything i need it too and sounds good too

i also use the bad horsie after using a vox for a long while

not having to click a switch to turn a wah off/on is a complete revelation - and makes you realise just how prohibitive regular switching wahs are
the switchless operation was one of the main reasons i got it, i like to be able to just put my foot on it and it work, not that its a lot of effort to push the switch on normal wah's, i just prefer not having to :lol:

Haha, I dunno about you guys but when I rock out I slam my foot down on any pedal pretty hard so its hard to not hit the button :D

But then again sometimes i get too over the top in my sweeping and click it off inadvertently so maybe I should try one of those switchless ones!

Frank H
Orange Master

Post by Frank H » Mon Jun 21, 2010 12:35 am

I got the $69 Dunlop and modded it so there's not so much sweep. For $69 it sounds great.
I use the Bad Horsie for the same reasons the rest of you guys do. The volume control knob is an added bonus.
I do like the sound of the Vox though. Do they make them switchless?

Van Cleef
Orange Master

Post by Van Cleef » Mon Jun 21, 2010 2:05 am

the thing i like about switchless / optical wahs is you can just insert short phrases and flourishes whenever rather than 'oh wah bit coming up 'cliick on' that's it wah bit over 'click off' - it made me really rethink how i use wah as an effect
LIKE SPACE ROCK? = VAN CLEEF @ BANDCAMP http://vancleef.bandcamp.com/

Geosh
Tiny Terror

Post by Geosh » Mon Jun 21, 2010 8:51 pm

I just got a Dunlop 535Q Wah and it is very nice! I have used a few Morleys, the Ernie Ball wah, Vox, and other Crybaby wahs and this is definitely my favorite. You can customize the Q ("wAh" to "wOh" sounds) and also adjust the amount of sweep the pedal has. I like it because I can cut out the ice-pick-in-the-ear sounds when a typical wah is rocked all the way forward. Plus, on Ebay they generally go for pretty cheap. Win Win.

Mark Olson

Post by Mark Olson » Tue Jun 22, 2010 1:36 am

I use wahs from Wilson Effects, check them out. I have a Wilson Freaker Wah, which is a Parachute clone, and I have a custom wah Kevin made for me which sounds like this:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_so ... ID=9267293" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

and this:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_so ... ID=9277037" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The Freaker Wah is HEAVY sounding with fuzz. I really like my custom wah too. Freaker works great for guitar too, and Kevin has a nice selection of other guitar wahs as well.
- Mark

Gtr_Pkr
Orange Expert

Post by Gtr_Pkr » Tue Jun 22, 2010 5:49 pm

I used a mid 90's CB, but had it modded for true bypass and a upgraded inductor. I forget which. It sounded good, but then I got my Thomas Organ Crybaby wahs. Those are great sounding wahs. I've got one with the "stack-o-dimes" inductor, and the other has the square inductor. They do enough quacking for me!
Lost in the spacey reverb of the Rockerverb.......SOMEBODY GET ME OUTTA HERE!!

slate
Tiny Terror

Post by slate » Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:01 pm

Le Chat Noir wrote:RMC Wizard here, it's great, wouldn't change it.
+1 for the RMC - i have the RMC3 and it rules ! :D

John Walker

Post by John Walker » Wed Jun 23, 2010 1:09 am

I scored a Earnie Ball wah for 50$ off the bay, and its a really cool pedal. I liked it because it has the input / output on the back of the pedal, and looks different than alot of other pedals i see out there.

Wired
Orange Master

Post by Wired » Wed Jun 23, 2010 2:20 am

John Walker wrote:I scored a Earnie Ball wah for 50$ off the bay, and its a really cool pedal. I liked it because it has the input / output on the back of the pedal, and looks different than alot of other pedals i see out there.

how would you compare the tone of this thing compared to the Vox or Dunlop/Crybaby alternatives?

Is the size that of the original Volume pedals or the Volume Jr?

I am very intrigued!
-LK
RV50, Vox AC30, Gibson LP Trad '14, Gibson ES-335 '04, PRS Cu24 '10, Fender Tele Pro, Gretsch Powerjet

Thinline_slim
Orange Master

Post by Thinline_slim » Wed Jun 23, 2010 2:32 am

drewfromutah wrote:Budda Budwah was the best wah I've ever used.
Gonna have to go with this one.
Jake
OrangePaul wrote:Ok gitar lead to you Jake :D
"One of the 400"

http://www.purevolume.com/JakeMcallasterBand/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

cain

Post by cain » Wed Jun 23, 2010 3:01 am

+1 on the Budda. Solid, smooth and a excellent range. Haven't found anything better. Surprisingly, the purple looks cool with the orange.