OR120 or New Head with similiar tone?

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

MJH

OR120 or New Head with similiar tone?

Post by MJH » Mon Jun 21, 2010 5:58 pm

I'm looking for the OR120. I would like to buy one of these. Does anyone know where to find one?

I have searched the web with no luck. I'm looking for one of those or the Matamp GT0120.

If these are not available are there any new Orange heads that can get this tone? I have played a few Orange amps but where I live there are not a lot of dealers (actually only 1) which is over an hour away. I didn't know if the Thunderverb 200 would sound close. I played the Thunderverb 50 and I thought that head sounded pretty sweet. They did not have the Rockerverb 50. They had the Thunderverb 200 and the AD30 but I didn't get a chance to play either of them.

I also played the Rockerverb 100 but it didn't sound as good as the Thunderverb 50. But that could be because I didn't have the gain and the volume cranked up. I didn't want to piss off the dealer that I was at too much (since it is the only one by me). They yelled at us once because we were playing the Thunderverb 50 pretty loud and they had to answer a phone call.

Any opinions or ideas?
1972 ORANGE OR120 "pics only"
MESA BOOGIE TRIPLE RECTIFIER
MESA BOOGIE RECTIFIER CAB.
GIBSON SG
GIBSON LES PAUL STUDIO
GIBSON LES PAUL CUSTOM BLACK BEAUTY
LTD VIPER BARITONE
IBANEZ UNIVERSE

nguideau
Orange Master

Re: OR120 or New Head with similiar tone?

Post by nguideau » Mon Jun 21, 2010 6:14 pm

The OR120 hasn't been in production for a long time. You'll have to find one used if you want to try one out. Not sure there are many of those in Michigan, certainly never saw any when I lived there. You'll probably just have to keep your ear to the ground on Craigslist in the MI/OH/IL area and be willing to get in the car and drive if one comes up.
- Nathan

baytamusic
Duke of Orange

Post by baytamusic » Mon Jun 21, 2010 6:15 pm

jojo68
Orange Master

Post by jojo68 » Mon Jun 21, 2010 7:10 pm

You'll be able to find an OR 120 if you keep your eyes peeled. I got one earlier this year from my tech for $1500. GREAT amp. GTO 120's are hard to come by. I picked up a Black one a year or so back luckily. Not sure what modern orange would sound like the OR, maybe a OR50H ? Those look nice and I've heard they sound sick.Orange needs to move back to the baxandall tone stack.

baytamusic
Duke of Orange

Post by baytamusic » Mon Jun 21, 2010 7:18 pm

You don't need to look. I found 2 for you. Click the link in my earlier post.

About 3 months ago I saw a pics only one on eBay with a Buy It Now of $1000. It was gone in about an hour.

nguideau
Orange Master

Post by nguideau » Mon Jun 21, 2010 7:21 pm

Actually... have you been to Herb David Guitar Studio in Ann Arbor?

http://www.herbdavidguitarstudio.com/catalog/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It has been a while since I was there, but they had a '90s reissue along with a cab. I think the cab was Eminence loaded, but like I said, this was a while ago. Probably September 2008. Might consider giving them a call, ask them where they got it, and what they ended up doing with it. I can't imagine they still have it, but you never know. At the very least they will know of people in the area that may have one.

And he doesn't have to look if he wants to buy one online... granted, I'm inferring this all on my own, but the OP made it sound as if he has never played one of these amps before, so I thought he might want to find one local so he can play it.
- Nathan

baytamusic
Duke of Orange

Post by baytamusic » Mon Jun 21, 2010 7:23 pm

They aren't easy to find, even online. If you find one local then I guess that would be best but if not, well, then click my link! ;)

MJH

Post by MJH » Mon Jun 21, 2010 7:26 pm

nguideau wrote:Actually... have you been to Herb David Guitar Studio in Ann Arbor?

http://www.herbdavidguitarstudio.com/catalog/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It has been a while since I was there, but they had a '90s reissue along with a cab. I think the cab was Eminence loaded, but like I said, this was a while ago. Probably September 2008. Might consider giving them a call, ask them where they got it, and what they ended up doing with it. I can't imagine they still have it, but you never know. At the very least they will know of people in the area that may have one.

And he doesn't have to look if he wants to buy one online... granted, I'm inferring this all on my own, but the OP made it sound as if he has never played one of these amps before, so I thought he might want to find one local so he can play it.
Yeah, actually that's where I took my guitar lessons when I was a kid. I live right by Ann Arbor. Small world. haha.

My nephew went there and he said they only carry the tiny terror. But you're right I should ask them if they know of anyone who might have one. I would rather try it out first if possible.
GIBSON SG
GIBSON LES PAUL STUDIO
LTD VIPER BARITONE
IBANEZ UNIVERSE

MJH

Post by MJH » Mon Jun 21, 2010 7:28 pm

Thanks.

That was fast...haha.
GIBSON SG
GIBSON LES PAUL STUDIO
LTD VIPER BARITONE
IBANEZ UNIVERSE

baytamusic
Duke of Orange

Post by baytamusic » Mon Jun 21, 2010 7:49 pm

haha, np. Gbase is a pretty good site if you are looking for a vintage item. Took me about 15 seconds.

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Post by Randy Bass » Mon Jun 21, 2010 7:56 pm

There's always Electric Amp :evil: . Just sayin'...

nguideau
Orange Master

Post by nguideau » Mon Jun 21, 2010 8:01 pm

Yeah, I'd just get in touch with some of the local stores in Southeast MI, let the guitar nerds and amp techs know what you're looking for.

Try giving Berkley Music Company a call as well, they seem to do a lot of business in REALLY NICE used equipment -- they seem to be more selective in what used stuff they buy, seems they specialize in nice pieces and stuff that's in good shape.

Hell, put a WTB ad up on Craigslist -- never know. Sometimes people might not be planning on selling, but if they see someone looking for the right price...
- Nathan

baytamusic
Duke of Orange

Post by baytamusic » Mon Jun 21, 2010 8:12 pm

nguideau wrote:Hell, put a WTB ad up on Craigslist -- never know. Sometimes people might not be planning on selling, but if they see someone looking for the right price...
This works. I've done it before. Good suggestion. Actually, I have one up right now for an Ampeg v4 head and a Gibson Melody Maker.

TESLA_EL34
Orange Master

Post by TESLA_EL34 » Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:06 pm

id say go for the matamp. the gt retro or gt1 is what you want.
orange amps arent bad, but i think matamps STILL have more tone.
the or120 is similar to the GT120 and GT1/GT Retro.

great amp, i will never sell it. you can't get those tones from other amps.
accept darkness.

sixstringstrangler
Tiny Terror

Post by sixstringstrangler » Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:29 pm

I have a Matamp GTO120, great amp, I'm in the process of buying a 70's Orange OR120 I can't wait to compare the two. My Matamp was built this year and I had a Black Face Plate made for it. I have a friend that is interested in selling his Matamp GT1 let me know if your interested.