Wah pedals!

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Wired
Orange Master

Wah pedals!

Post by Wired » Sat Jun 19, 2010 7:14 pm

So what do you guys use?

I'm using a Vox V847 Union Jack right now and love it. But I'm thinking of getting a Keeler Stretch Wah right away as well. I've never dabbled with anything else other than a basic Crybaby and a Boss V-Wah.
-LK
RV50, Vox AC30, Gibson LP Trad '14, Gibson ES-335 '04, PRS Cu24 '10, Fender Tele Pro, Gretsch Powerjet

drewfromutah
Rocker

Re: Wah pedals!

Post by drewfromutah » Sat Jun 19, 2010 7:16 pm

Budda Budwah was the best wah I've ever used.

Wendigo
Orange Master

Post by Wendigo » Sat Jun 19, 2010 7:18 pm

The original Crybaby from Jen italy is the best if you can find one. I have a 1969 one and I can tell you, it really does make a difference sometimes to seek out vintage gear.

blackcloud45
Orange Master

Post by blackcloud45 » Sat Jun 19, 2010 7:32 pm

I used to use a couple of 80's Crybabys until last year when I bought a Vox. I haven't looked back, in fact I bought another one! Lots of good wahs to be had. One thing a lot of guys forget is there is actually some technique involved in using one ;)

http://hypersoulrocks.com/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.myspace.com/lovea45" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Le Chat Noir
Duke of Orange

Post by Le Chat Noir » Sat Jun 19, 2010 9:32 pm

RMC Wizard here, it's great, wouldn't change it.
Teddy
The Blackwater Rebellion: 2-piece alt rock duo http://theblackwaterrebellion.bandcamp.com/
I play an AD30TC

howdy-doo
Orange Master

Post by howdy-doo » Sat Jun 19, 2010 9:35 pm

i use the morley bad horsie wah, does evenrything i need it too and sounds good too
Liam

Mrjones2004x
Orange Master

Post by Mrjones2004x » Sat Jun 19, 2010 9:58 pm

standard crybaby modded with red phasel. good for metallica and guns and roses type stuff but bit harsh. limited i think. havent tried nothing else tho.
Tone is everything

misterMagoo
Orange Master

Post by misterMagoo » Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:52 pm

I use a V847 that I modded with a Soul Halo that Ibought from small bear. I also TB'd it and did the gain and q mods, and swapped some other resistor. It is very vocal, some times too vocal! But still very useable. When cocked, it gets some amazing tones
-Joe
My mother wears army boots.

RV50 mkI
AC30 combo

Hot tamale.

http://lifereformatted.wordpress.com/
Check out my blog - adventure, travel, and the meaning of life.

voodoorider
Tiny Terror

Post by voodoorider » Sun Jun 20, 2010 12:38 am

Just got this.. Awesome wah, chose it as the "jimi" setting is exactly the kind of wah sound i was after!.. it's a fairly mellow wah though, no shrill top end! I think if you tried a boutique/designer wah you'd be pretty impressed with the perfomance over something like a standard VOX or CryBaby. My CryBaby also broke after a couple of years and always picked up horrendous radio transmission! Whether the price reflects how much better they are is another thing though, CryBaby is pretty much industry standard i'd say :)

http://www.youtube.com/user/voodoorider ... PpHnUFFCVs" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by voodoorider on Sun Jun 20, 2010 1:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

indianDYsummer
Orange Master

Post by indianDYsummer » Sun Jun 20, 2010 12:51 am

I've got the classic crybaby with the old school fasel inductor, and I don't really like it. It's really crackly on clean unless you roll down the volume on your guitar quite a bit, but then it feels a little muffled. It's works pretty good when my amp is dirty though- you don't really notice the crackling, and I only ever use it in a band on dirty so it's fine for me I guess.

Also, the sweep is a little unnatural feeling. I've been meaning to take it apart and try moving the rack/pinion a few slots in either direction to see if I can fix it.

Basically I guess I'm saying don't get a classic crybaby.

Mrjones2004x
Orange Master

Post by Mrjones2004x » Sun Jun 20, 2010 7:48 am

I found the same issues with my standard crybaby. The sweep was rubbish, the first half of pedal movement did nothing then was quick and also got very harsh. When I modded the phasel I moved the pot back 2 notchs so it didn't go as high but just enough. Hard to get on with and not so smooth. My mates got boss pw1 (think that's the name) as the wah is good just a lot of other pointless crap on there too
Tone is everything

OU818
Orange Master

Post by OU818 » Sun Jun 20, 2010 7:53 am

I use an Ibanez Weeping Demon. Great solid unit with the option to stomp on or just touch the pedal to activate (is kept in the raises position if touch mode is used).

Lot of tweakable settings as well with option for bass/low tuning or standard.
Orange Gear:
AD200B MkIII
OBC810

Non-Orange:
Bergantino NXT212
Bergantino Forte D
Woogie Lessie
Laney DBV-410

Basses:
Ernie Ball Stingray 4H
Rickenbacker 4003
Gibson Midtown Signature
Gibson Thunderbird
Gibson Nikki Sixx Thunderbird
Gibson Les Paul Bass

Bensen
Orange Master

Post by Bensen » Sun Jun 20, 2010 8:19 am

I use the standart Crybaby and a Hendrix CB for mellower sounds. Modded both to true bypass and am really happy.

Wendigo
Orange Master

Post by Wendigo » Sun Jun 20, 2010 9:01 am

I have also played the Slash crybaby and if anything ever happens to my Jen one, that's the one I'm gonna get. Damn nice sound.

Van Cleef
Orange Master

Post by Van Cleef » Sun Jun 20, 2010 12:08 pm

howdy-doo wrote:i use the morley bad horsie wah, does evenrything i need it too and sounds good too

i also use the bad horsie after using a vox for a long while

not having to click a switch to turn a wah off/on is a complete revelation - and makes you realise just how prohibitive regular switching wahs are
LIKE SPACE ROCK? = VAN CLEEF @ BANDCAMP http://vancleef.bandcamp.com/