i never like teles but saw this

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Mrjones2004x
Orange Master

i never like teles but saw this

Post by Mrjones2004x » Sun Jun 13, 2010 6:12 pm

This isnt the greatest youtube vid in the world and i love the les paul sound to death but the tele has such aggression its unreal! No fat les paul can growl like that. I may now save for one! i have been converted buy youtube.
Every vid i watch makes me want one!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTFaVUS6D4U" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Tone is everything

Sam_from_Texas
Tiny Terror

Re: i never like teles but saw this

Post by Sam_from_Texas » Sun Jun 13, 2010 7:51 pm

I have an American Tele with some Rio Grande pickups wound here in Texas. That thing WAILS. I like the sounds I can get so much that it's been my only electric for a couple years (sold the others). I'll probably getting some sort of hollowbody soon, but this thing is a beast. Blues, rock, country all sound great. The Rios are wound with a little extra wiring, so it's got a lot fuller sound than normal coils and a lot of bite.

Le Chat Noir
Duke of Orange

Post by Le Chat Noir » Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:26 am

Sam_from_Texas wrote:I have an American Tele with some Rio Grande pickups wound here in Texas. That thing WAILS. I like the sounds I can get so much that it's been my only electric for a couple years (sold the others). I'll probably getting some sort of hollowbody soon, but this thing is a beast. Blues, rock, country all sound great. The Rios are wound with a little extra wiring, so it's got a lot fuller sound than normal coils and a lot of bite.
Which Rios do you have? I've got Muy Grandes in my Teles, love 'em, my perfect tone as far as I'm concerned :)
Teddy
The Blackwater Rebellion: 2-piece alt rock duo http://theblackwaterrebellion.bandcamp.com/
I play an AD30TC

Borderline Productions
Orange Master

Post by Borderline Productions » Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:46 pm

One of the things I miss about my tele is the raw intensity of the sound. I also miss the neck and set up.
Bob

http://www.purevolume.com/oxymora" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Dunky
Orange Expert

Post by Dunky » Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:05 pm

I tried out a baja tele a while back and loved everything except the neck, comes in a little cheaper as well and the S1 switching is really versatile.

Y0UNGBL00D
Orange Master

Post by Y0UNGBL00D » Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:37 pm

got an sx knockoff that sounds feels and plays like the real deal. got it because i didnt know how i felt about teles. i just sold all my guitars except and my SG. go figure. its got fender pups in it. might be looking into some rio grandes, but ill have to wait until i get to texas, fittingly.
Thunderverb 50,
modded SG, pedals, shiner bock.

Ddjembe Mutombo
Orange Master

Post by Ddjembe Mutombo » Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:23 am

I love the highway-1 teles. Mainly because they have less twang than other teles and sound a bit beefier.
Monty

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:53 am

I'm not sure this clip accurately represents what a Tele typically sounds like. Sounds like he's playing through a POD or some sort of transistory type of amp and to my ears, that's a really twangy sounding Tele not as fat and warm as some I've heard.

I love Teles but I'm not a fan of the snappy twang as much as the really old Teles where the bridge pickups were fat and warm. Many of my Teles/Esquires have had bridge pickups rewound to be fatter and warmer and really sound amazing...

Van Cleef
Orange Master

Post by Van Cleef » Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:52 am

i have a 1986 fender cij tele with XXXXXXX handwound pickups in it - it's a beautiful beautiful guitar - i keep wanting to put wang on it - - bigsby, kahler - whatever - but i keep tlking myself out of it... DAMN DAMN DAMN
LIKE SPACE ROCK? = VAN CLEEF @ BANDCAMP http://vancleef.bandcamp.com/

Thinline_slim
Orange Master

Post by Thinline_slim » Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:57 pm

bclaire wrote:I'm not sure this clip accurately represents what a Tele typically sounds like. Sounds like he's playing through a POD or some sort of transistory type of amp and to my ears, that's a really twangy sounding Tele not as fat and warm as some I've heard.

I love Teles but I'm not a fan of the snappy twang as much as the really old Teles where the bridge pickups were fat and warm. Many of my Teles/Esquires have had bridge pickups rewound to be fatter and warmer and really sound amazing...
This is my opinion 100% as well. The tone of that clip was painful for me because I know a Tele can have a lot more punch and warmth than that ice pick tone. I've been a big Tele fan from day one really. Lindy Frailin makes some great warm/punchy Tele pickups and the Rio Grande Dirty Harry is a great bridge pickup too. I don't think you could go wrong with either of those makers, really.
Van Cleef wrote:i have a 1986 fender cij tele with XXXXXXX handwound pickups in it - it's a beautiful beautiful guitar - i keep wanting to put wang on it - - bigsby, kahler - whatever - but i keep tlking myself out of it... DAMN DAMN DAMN
Like the red one? :wink:

Jake
OrangePaul wrote:Ok gitar lead to you Jake :D
"One of the 400"

http://www.purevolume.com/JakeMcallasterBand/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Alan
Orange Hero

Post by Alan » Tue Jun 15, 2010 2:43 pm

As much as I don't like the guy's playing when he's thrashing around the low end, the tone of this thing blew me away - especially as it's a stock tele doing the screaming.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-ejMCB3YYY" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

nguideau
Orange Master

Post by nguideau » Tue Jun 15, 2010 2:47 pm

I think the clip sounds alright, but agree it is not indicative of just what you can do with a Tele.

See my sig -- the '52 Hot Rod RI is a great example of a Tele that has a lot of beef. The bridge pickup has some twang and is quite noisy, but really growls with the volume cranked. And combined with the mini humbucker you can really get a nice round clean tone, or a fat, sustained lead tone.

Tele's are the "workman's" guitar I guess. Find the Tele that has the neck that feels right and the bodyweight that feels balanced to you, and buy it. Then, there's a whole slew of things you can do related to the pickups if you feel the need, all of which are totally affordable.
- Nathan

Sam_from_Texas
Tiny Terror

Post by Sam_from_Texas » Sun Jun 20, 2010 8:35 pm

Le Chat Noir wrote: Which Rios do you have? I've got Muy Grandes in my Teles, love 'em, my perfect tone as far as I'm concerned :)
Missed this ?. Honestly I don't really know. They're black with really big pole pieces. The neck one doesn't have a cover. Their main retail shop is 5 min from my house so I get to try out all the different ones. They're awesome. I've had multiple guitars with Rio's now. I once had an Elitist Epi with a pair of their humbuckers and it was heaven. Having them in the neighborhood helps out a lot as well.

Le Chat Noir
Duke of Orange

Post by Le Chat Noir » Sun Jun 20, 2010 8:51 pm

Sam_from_Texas wrote:
Le Chat Noir wrote: Which Rios do you have? I've got Muy Grandes in my Teles, love 'em, my perfect tone as far as I'm concerned :)
Missed this ?. Honestly I don't really know. They're black with really big pole pieces. The neck one doesn't have a cover. Their main retail shop is 5 min from my house so I get to try out all the different ones. They're awesome. I've had multiple guitars with Rio's now. I once had an Elitist Epi with a pair of their humbuckers and it was heaven. Having them in the neighborhood helps out a lot as well.
Black, uncovered with big polepieces = Muy Grande, like mine! :mrgreen: Glad you like them, I've been singing their praises for a while now, definitely one part of my rig that will never change! Tele + Muy Grande is where it's at for me!
Teddy
The Blackwater Rebellion: 2-piece alt rock duo http://theblackwaterrebellion.bandcamp.com/
I play an AD30TC

dave5150
Tiny Terror

Post by dave5150 » Sun Jun 20, 2010 8:55 pm

I love my tele and due to it's weight advantage over my Les Paul it's my main gigging axe (just!)

In the right hands they can be deadly...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2bXl5AwX8Q

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2YJ_VHm_Zg