OT: Broke my guitar at our show... ;)

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

CD9266
Orange Master

Re: OT: Broke my guitar at our show... ;)

Post by CD9266 » Sun May 23, 2010 11:09 pm

I find there's something different to be said for destroying gear. In Teddy's case he was pissed as all hell and just chucked the guitar and walked off. I bet the folks were excited because it's really unpredictable and you don't know what's gonna happen next. I always pay attention to the musicians and I notice things like when they start to get or look frustrated due to foot pedals not working right, cable problems, or if the song isn't being played right. Makes it uneasy but exciting.

I've seen another band in Baltimore once called Blind Rhetoric in which the singer's Marshall **** out on him and when he realized it wasn't worth the effort of trying to play the guitar he just took it off and tossed it on the ground and finished singing the song. That recklessness was exciting. Then my friend Holmes from the co-headlining band lent him his DLS100 to finish the set.
http://www.reverbnation.com/coreydiller" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sunset Justice - Now on iTunes!

Bluz57
Prince of Orange

Post by Bluz57 » Sun May 23, 2010 11:36 pm

Sounds like you had a bad gig.I have had bad ones before too.One reason I don't play many these days.
Last edited by Bluz57 on Mon May 24, 2010 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paint it blue 4 soul.

blacklight_uk
Orange Master

Post by blacklight_uk » Sun May 23, 2010 11:45 pm

Haha I think it's cool when bands break stuff. Still love the footage of Krist Novoselic at the VMA's in '93 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8oT9ag631Q" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Josh

Bluz57
Prince of Orange

Post by Bluz57 » Mon May 24, 2010 12:07 am

Our gig last night was good.I was proud of our sound.I should be out looking for more gigs but I am burned out it.We just play a few gigs now.Just ones that pay well.
Last edited by Bluz57 on Mon May 24, 2010 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paint it blue 4 soul.

misterMagoo
Orange Master

Post by misterMagoo » Mon May 24, 2010 1:07 am

How could you guys detest breaking things?!?! It's rock music for gods sake! It's one thing if someone just does it half assed just to do it. But put some real emotion into it, especially if its been a bad night, and thats a win.

But hey, thats just my pov.
-Joe
My mother wears army boots.

RV50 mkI
AC30 combo

Hot tamale.

http://lifereformatted.wordpress.com/
Check out my blog - adventure, travel, and the meaning of life.

Deacon Blues
Orange Master

Post by Deacon Blues » Mon May 24, 2010 6:05 am

Randy Bass wrote:
Deacon Blues wrote:aside from hendrix setting his strat on fire, i never understood the on stage guitar destruction thing

i've always found townsend to be a bit of a Salad-tosser
(fixed) :D

Destroying gear is a wasteful distraction for those who cannot satisfy a crowd with music alone. Just kidding.

haha.....i respect gear too much to ever break it. even if i became some famous rock star i wouldn't smash an axe because i know what its like to be in the shoes of the poor kid in the audience who just wishes he could have one nice brand name guitar while the Mr. Butt on stage demolishes one of his many like its no big deal. that doesn't say rock n roll to me. that says im an aarogant douchebag thats making way to much money and have way too many people are kissing my ass

Teddy throwing a guitar in anger is different. getting your townsend on is another thing completely
My name is Alex. I used to have an AD30HTC, but now I have an RV50 and PPC212.

Van Cleef
Orange Master

Post by Van Cleef » Mon May 24, 2010 7:28 am

neil - write a country song about it and put some backwards subliminals on it so when people play the vinyl you can hear someone saying 'attaaaack attaaaaack are orsum attaaaaack attaaaaaack are orsum'
LIKE SPACE ROCK? = VAN CLEEF @ BANDCAMP http://vancleef.bandcamp.com/

Taronja
Orange Master

Post by Taronja » Mon May 24, 2010 1:03 pm

Norrin Radd wrote:I hate when bands break equipment. It is not cool. It is wasteful and very unoriginal. Do we have to copy everything from our musical past? Is there nothing new to invent or discover? Smashing gear just makes me want to barf. I hate it. It's juvenile. It's stupid. It's wasteful. It's old. Find something new.

i think it has something to do with the aggression that builds up as the show intensifies, i mean like its almost not supposed to happen, iv got so worked up ive kicked my drums across the room off the stage, iv also dived into drums with my guitar, done this a few times with my Cunetto relic :shock: yeah my drummer was in pain too BUT!!! eh!

i think if you don't "get it" is because youv probably never got to "that level"

maybe someone else can explain it better? for me anyway, it not planned, it just happens sometimes, it not part of the "act" things just get crazy'ER. it has something to do with how crazy the fans get too, that got allot to do with the intensifying effect.

OH, yeah and the Whiskey too :P

baytamusic wrote:Yeah, I guess you guys are right. The Who were pretty untalented. I guess that's why they had to smash guitars and blow up drums and stuff. :)
Jon
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Easter-B ... 6877535568
Member since 2005
Currently a non orange owner. Im actively in search of a vintage OR head... Feel free to send me any leads... :)

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Post by Randy Bass » Mon May 24, 2010 3:37 pm

Taronja wrote:...i think if you don't "get it" is because youv probably never got to "that level"

...OH, yeah and the Whiskey too :P

Jon
Maybe it's genetic?

I'm pretty sure Jimmy Page never "got to that level" either. :D

Neiloler
Lord of Orange

Post by Neiloler » Mon May 24, 2010 5:06 pm

Haha, this is a lovely flame war. ;)

Yeah, it wasn't really a "let's break this crap!" kind of thing, it was more that I dropped it in a way the guitar didn't like and it split. I don't know if I say I regret it, I got lucky and it didn't break in any big terrible way, but I do dislike having to fix it, and that small, nagging thought at the back of my mind that's going "hey, what if it never sounds or plays the same, you idiot!"

I think my solution is to not be knuckle head by practicing more so I play better shows, and not take it out on my instrument, who didn't do anything wrong. Haha. :)

(I'm still going to bash up a white nitro body once I get that project working...some day...)

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Post by Randy Bass » Mon May 24, 2010 5:14 pm

Neiloler wrote:Haha, this is a lovely flame war. ;)
I was semi-serious about the genetic part :D . I'm not a flamer - honest. I really have a hard time conveying a lack of sarcasm sometimes, but those damn smilies don't seem to clear anything up one way or the other :oops: :cry: :D 8) .

misterMagoo
Orange Master

Post by misterMagoo » Mon May 24, 2010 5:20 pm

Randy Bass wrote:
Neiloler wrote:Haha, this is a lovely flame war. ;)
:oops: :cry: :D 8) .
You just went through an eight hour mushroom trip all at the end of a sentence.

And if we are gonna start flaming, then what the hell. Your all idiots!!! To each his own!!! Now go enjoy yourselves.
-Joe
My mother wears army boots.

RV50 mkI
AC30 combo

Hot tamale.

http://lifereformatted.wordpress.com/
Check out my blog - adventure, travel, and the meaning of life.

Taronja
Orange Master

Post by Taronja » Mon May 24, 2010 11:56 pm

Randy Bass wrote:
Taronja wrote:...i think if you don't "get it" is because youv probably never got to "that level"

...OH, yeah and the Whiskey too :P

Jon
Maybe it's genetic?

I'm pretty sure Jimmy Page never "got to that level" either. :D

He plays blues rock. not guitar smashing blues either.

guess it come from me at a very young age smashing and even sometimes burning my toys :P

Jon
Last edited by Taronja on Tue May 25, 2010 12:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Easter-B ... 6877535568
Member since 2005
Currently a non orange owner. Im actively in search of a vintage OR head... Feel free to send me any leads... :)

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Post by Randy Bass » Tue May 25, 2010 12:35 am

Taronja wrote:...He plays blues rock...
Me too. :D

For the record, I'm OK with burning guitars - just not breaking them. :evil:

Bluz57
Prince of Orange

Post by Bluz57 » Tue May 25, 2010 2:28 am

I have played for ever type crowd around. I like playing for the stoners best.They are laid back and really get into the music.I stay away from the bar seen here in the south. Too many rednecks that just want to hear Skynyrd.
Last edited by Bluz57 on Tue May 25, 2010 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paint it blue 4 soul.