OT: Broke my guitar at our show... ;)

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Neiloler
Lord of Orange

OT: Broke my guitar at our show... ;)

Post by Neiloler » Sun May 23, 2010 8:05 am

Yeah, it was one of those nights. Ended with a smash to the symbols and then a drop on the floor for my blue guitar. It split a bit, but I'll be gluing it shortly. The funny thing was that we all thought it was one of the worst times we've ever played, and all our long-time fans (the only ones at the show really, it was a last minute booking at a local venue...) said it was one of the best shows they've ever heard.

I'm left wondering what made it so great, because it certainly wasn't my ability to play guitar well that night... :?

That is all. ;)

Le Chat Noir
Duke of Orange

Re: OT: Broke my guitar at our show... ;)

Post by Le Chat Noir » Sun May 23, 2010 11:49 am

Rock'n'roll Neil!! ;)

I know exactly what you mean, one of our 'worst' shows ever was after we had all our gear stolen in Italy. I only had one guitar left and borrowed amps, and I broke 3 strings during different songs in the show. It ended with Eileen yelling at me across the stage whilst I swung my guitar round my head using one of the broken strings, then flinging it across the room and storming offstage ;)

I felt we played terribly and I hated every second, but the crowd loved it and people said the energy in the room was incredible! Sometimes it doesn't matter if you have a bad day technically, the anger and passion generated by that can make for a fantastic show in itself. I think the majority of people who go to a rock gig are after spectacle and an escape from the hum drum of every day life, not to see someone play something note-perfect whilst standing stock still... but maybe that's just me!
Teddy
The Blackwater Rebellion: 2-piece alt rock duo http://theblackwaterrebellion.bandcamp.com/
I play an AD30TC

Tango
Orange Master

Post by Tango » Sun May 23, 2010 12:36 pm

Neiloler wrote:Yeah, it was one of those nights. Ended with a smash to the symbols and then a drop on the floor for my blue guitar. It split a bit, but I'll be gluing it shortly. The funny thing was that we all thought it was one of the worst times we've ever played, and all our long-time fans (the only ones at the show really, it was a last minute booking at a local venue...) said it was one of the best shows they've ever heard.

I'm left wondering what made it so great, because it certainly wasn't my ability to play guitar well that night... :?

That is all. ;)
Must be something in the air, I thought last nights gig was a bit awful and my playing was way below parr, but the crowd loved it...unfortunately it was that gig we had videoed 'cause the venue was good...oh well, that'll be chopped around a bit :roll:
Didn't break my guitar though :)
http://www.radio-clash.com/fr_home.cfm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Sun May 23, 2010 2:18 pm

We had a bit of a nightmare gig too last night!

I loaded in at 4 and set up my gear- everything working fine. Came back at 8:30 and my midi foot controller wouldn't work! I went home and got another midi cable but to no avail. Now I channel switch and do all my effects with this so I had to substitute my Orange footswitch and set it to a reverb only for the night. Add to that the fact that both of my channels' preamp tubes are going microphonic (and the new tubes will probably show up in the mail tomorrow) and a poor turnout made for a bit of a miserable gig...

My soundman and I tried everything we could think of for the midi footcontroller... I've had it for ages and I've never had any issues... really bummed that it's not working.

Norrin Radd
Duke of Orange

Post by Norrin Radd » Sun May 23, 2010 2:32 pm

bclaire wrote:We had a bit of a nightmare gig too last night!

I loaded in at 4 and set up my gear- everything working fine. Came back at 8:30 and my midi foot controller wouldn't work! I went home and got another midi cable but to no avail. Now I channel switch and do all my effects with this so I had to substitute my Orange footswitch and set it to a reverb only for the night. Add to that the fact that both of my channels' preamp tubes are going microphonic (and the new tubes will probably show up in the mail tomorrow) and a poor turnout made for a bit of a miserable gig...

My soundman and I tried everything we could think of for the midi footcontroller... I've had it for ages and I've never had any issues... really bummed that it's not working.
Time for a G system. :wink:
Greg

baytamusic
Duke of Orange

Post by baytamusic » Sun May 23, 2010 3:58 pm

I had a stomach ache last night after I ate half a bag of Doritos. Didn't smash any guitars though! I love when bands break equipment. It's cool.

Neiloler
Lord of Orange

Post by Neiloler » Sun May 23, 2010 4:03 pm

Haha, indeed Rachy, must be something in the air. Meh, the way I (try to) see it, you have to pay your dues, and sometimes it feels like part of dues is playing bad shows so you have nothing left but good shows to play for a while. Makes me appreciate when things go well, and the fact that I've been musically lazy as of late.

Norrin Radd
Duke of Orange

Post by Norrin Radd » Sun May 23, 2010 4:10 pm

I hate when bands break equipment. It is not cool. It is wasteful and very unoriginal. Do we have to copy everything from our musical past? Is there nothing new to invent or discover? Smashing gear just makes me want to barf. I hate it. It's juvenile. It's stupid. It's wasteful. It's old. Find something new.
Greg

Le Chat Noir
Duke of Orange

Post by Le Chat Noir » Sun May 23, 2010 4:21 pm

This thread made me think of this song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJkalx7_ ... re=related" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Not my cup of tea musically - John Hiatt is a favourite of my dad - the lyrics are witty though ;) Inspired by the apocryphal words attributed to Leo Fender, of course.
Teddy
The Blackwater Rebellion: 2-piece alt rock duo http://theblackwaterrebellion.bandcamp.com/
I play an AD30TC

Tango
Orange Master

Post by Tango » Sun May 23, 2010 4:24 pm

Neiloler wrote:Haha, indeed Rachy, must be something in the air. Meh, the way I (try to) see it, you have to pay your dues, and sometimes it feels like part of dues is playing bad shows so you have nothing left but good shows to play for a while. Makes me appreciate when things go well, and the fact that I've been musically lazy as of late.
True true :)

Haha, me too :D
http://www.radio-clash.com/fr_home.cfm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

baytamusic
Duke of Orange

Post by baytamusic » Sun May 23, 2010 4:30 pm

I love how in The Who documentary the guitar tech was talking about piecing together guitars every night for them to play of random unbroken parts from the guitars they smashed. Haha.

Deacon Blues
Orange Master

Post by Deacon Blues » Sun May 23, 2010 5:46 pm

aside from hendrix setting his strat on fire, i never understood the on stage guitar destruction thing

i've always found townsend to be a bit of a tosser
My name is Alex. I used to have an AD30HTC, but now I have an RV50 and PPC212.

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Post by Randy Bass » Sun May 23, 2010 8:58 pm

Deacon Blues wrote:aside from hendrix setting his strat on fire, i never understood the on stage guitar destruction thing

i've always found townsend to be a bit of a Salad-tosser
(fixed) :D

Destroying gear is a wasteful distraction for those who cannot satisfy a crowd with music alone. Just kidding.

baytamusic
Duke of Orange

Post by baytamusic » Sun May 23, 2010 9:05 pm

Yeah, I guess you guys are right. The Who were pretty untalented. I guess that's why they had to smash guitars and blow up drums and stuff. :)

Tango
Orange Master

Post by Tango » Sun May 23, 2010 9:23 pm

Deacon Blues wrote:aside from hendrix setting his strat on fire, i never understood the on stage guitar destruction thing

I've always found townsend to be a bit of a tosser
Me neither, I know Simonon regretted that one time he did it.

I agree with you about Townsend but then I really just detest the man.