G+L Tribute guitars - opinions?

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

danbond
Orange Expert

G+L Tribute guitars - opinions?

Post by danbond » Tue May 18, 2010 12:14 pm

Hi

Has anyone here used any G+L tribute series guitars (these are the cheaper end of G+L, but use the same USA pickups as the best G+Ls)

I'm specifically looking at the tele style ones, I'd like a back up for my telecaster, but something that feels and plays a little different and will add something when it comes to recording.

Just wondered if anyone had used them and what they thought of the finishes, playability and components. Not bothered about re-sale value! I have only played one (and thought it was easily on par with any fender i had played)

Thanks

Dan

irish_admiral
Prince of Orange

Re: G+L Tribute guitars - opinions?

Post by irish_admiral » Tue May 18, 2010 3:11 pm

Yeah, they're really solid, and sound good. They aren't quite as well-finished as their American big brothers, but it's good enough. Pickups are a pretty unique sound. I've got an ASAT (ie. Tele with big single coils) and have tried a few of the Tributes. They'd be great gigging guitars, especially for mid gain rock crunch.

If I were you, i'd pick one up off eBay. They go for peanuts there. The full USA models are sold for about as much as a new Tribute, and the Tributes go for about half their used price.

Used Tribute ASAT special would be a great buy...
Joe

G(sus) saves

Orange AD15, Matamp 1224, Fender 'JD' Tele, G&L ASAT, Duesenberg Starplayer TV, Eggle Kanuga, Avalon D25, Warwick FNA Jazzman, Eden Nemesis / Bergantino EX112S, Eastman MD305 & other stuff...

barrica

Post by barrica » Tue May 18, 2010 3:18 pm

I play a G and L tribute S500 (strat copy) through an orange rocker 30 combo and I absolutly LOVE it!
Solid build, plays betters than a strat imo and im even looking at getting a second as a backup.

One of the advantages which I discovered was the additional pickup selector switch that allows you to switch in both the front and bridge pickups simultaneously, something I have never seen on a strat but that comes in very handy.

Definatley recommend!

Bluz57
Prince of Orange

Post by Bluz57 » Tue May 18, 2010 10:12 pm

The ones I have picked up and played seem to have heavier wood than the American models.I am a G&L player.I own a bunch of them.My main guitar right now is an ASAT Bluesboy.It is on par with both my Custom Shop Fenders in quality and workmanship.My opinion is this: go to ebay and buy an American G&L used.It may take some time to find what you want,but it WILL show up sooner or later.
G&L's are fantastic guitars, but they don't hold their value like a Fender or Gibson.They are great buys in the used marketplace.
I will be using my stock Bluesboy for my gig this coming weekend.
The Bluesboy is a hell of a guitar.The pups are on the money.
Paint it blue 4 soul.

ArborMan7

Post by ArborMan7 » Tue May 18, 2010 10:42 pm

I have been on the lookout for a nice U.S.A. legacy, Would you guys recommend me getting a tribute instead? All I am after is for a very nice strat type of guitar...

irish_admiral
Prince of Orange

Post by irish_admiral » Wed May 19, 2010 1:19 pm

Well the Tributes are solid and sound good, but I agree with Clay about the wood. There's a slightly different feel off them. The Tributes mainly used basswood, with some ash.

I'd hold out for a used USA one, they're not that expensive.
Joe

G(sus) saves

Orange AD15, Matamp 1224, Fender 'JD' Tele, G&L ASAT, Duesenberg Starplayer TV, Eggle Kanuga, Avalon D25, Warwick FNA Jazzman, Eden Nemesis / Bergantino EX112S, Eastman MD305 & other stuff...

danbond
Orange Expert

Post by danbond » Thu May 20, 2010 9:28 am

Well it's this one I like and its walnut finish. This page seems to suggest the walnut finish guitar (below) is made of swamp ash.

http://www.glguitars.com/instruments/Tr ... /index.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Do you think it's a goer? Its only £500!

irish_admiral
Prince of Orange

Post by irish_admiral » Thu May 20, 2010 10:00 am

It might be a walnut stain. The swamp ash wood Tributes usually had a clear or translucent finish as I recall. Might be stained!

I'd not pay £500 for a Tribute. Buy used, and pay half of that, or less. Or buy a used USA model for inbetween £380-£500. eBay is your friend here.

They're good used buys - very good QC on those guitars. Rock solid build. Trust me.
Joe

G(sus) saves

Bluz57
Prince of Orange

Post by Bluz57 » Thu May 20, 2010 4:07 pm

This is the G&L that I play most of the time now.It has the exact tone that I have been searching for.It is an American semi hollowbody.
Paint it blue 4 soul.

danbond
Orange Expert

Post by danbond » Thu May 20, 2010 4:55 pm

No F hole?

How do you know its semi-hollow?!

Bluz57
Prince of Orange

Post by Bluz57 » Thu May 20, 2010 5:24 pm

danbond wrote:No F hole?

How do you know its semi-hollow?!
Because I bought it new and the G&L specks said it is.Plus it only weighs about 6.3 pounds.
Paint it blue 4 soul.

Boy_Narf
Orange Master

Post by Boy_Narf » Fri May 21, 2010 8:49 pm

I temporarily owned one of the G&L tribute semi hollow bodies and it sounded amazing in standard tuning. Dropped down even 1/2 step it muddied up really quickly. Sounded like garbage. I would have ordered that walnut model, but they were unavailable in Canada.

irish_admiral
Prince of Orange

Post by irish_admiral » Fri May 21, 2010 9:52 pm

Dropped my standard ASAT to D-D and it sounded fine...
Joe

G(sus) saves

Bluz57
Prince of Orange

Post by Bluz57 » Sat May 22, 2010 3:12 pm

Boy_Narf wrote:I temporarily owned one of the G&L tribute semi hollow bodies and it sounded amazing in standard tuning. Dropped down even 1/2 step it muddied up really quickly. Sounded like garbage. I would have ordered that walnut model, but they were unavailable in Canada.
A lot depends on the amp that you play through and the effects you use. I play Fenders so mud is not an issue for me. :wink:
Another thing is they use inferior pups in the Bluesboy Tributes.
No Duncan Seth Lovers in those boys.The Seth Lover is one of the best I have played.
Paint it blue 4 soul.