Celestion G12H - 30 speakers? Do you like them?

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

baytamusic
Duke of Orange

Celestion G12H - 30 speakers? Do you like them?

Post by baytamusic » Wed May 19, 2010 7:58 pm

Anybody like these speakers? I have an Orange 2x12 w/ V30s already. Thinking I may get one of the 40th anniversary cabs to go with it. Seems like it would be cool to try them separate and together and see what I really like and how I feel about the differences or how they sound running together.

neonrust
Duke of Orange

Re: Celestion G12H - 30 speakers? Do you like them?

Post by neonrust » Wed May 19, 2010 8:11 pm

I have not tried the pairing myself, but I have heard many times that they(v30/g12h-30) go very well together. Avatar mentions this combo on their site.

My 2 pesos
((((((((((((((((((((((((Andy))))))))))))))))))))

Thinline_slim
Orange Master

Post by Thinline_slim » Wed May 19, 2010 10:22 pm

Best damn single speaker for a Tiny Terror IMO. I really like mine.
Jake
OrangePaul wrote:Ok gitar lead to you Jake :D
"One of the 400"

http://www.purevolume.com/JakeMcallasterBand/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

tacky

Post by tacky » Wed May 19, 2010 10:25 pm

i like those speakers with rocker 30, sounds really good. tho not as tight as with v30's.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWK0sa7tlfI" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; here you can hear v30 compared to G12H. i think together they might sound really awesome..

baytamusic
Duke of Orange

Post by baytamusic » Thu May 20, 2010 1:40 am

tacky wrote:i like those speakers with rocker 30, sounds really good. tho not as tight as with v30's.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWK0sa7tlfI" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; here you can hear v30 compared to G12H. i think together they might sound really awesome..
This is really cool. It can also drive you totally nuts! haha. I actually think the v30 sounded kinda crappy and tinny in this video, although since an Orange is a dark amp that's probably why it's a good match up. I liked the g12h-30 a lot. The EV sounded good too. So did the gold, but it may be a little too compressed and not worth the price. Thanks!

I think they would make a good pairing actually after watching this video.

indianDYsummer
Orange Master

Post by indianDYsummer » Thu May 20, 2010 3:08 am

yeah i've always heard the g12h30 has a complimentary midrange and tighter, more prominent bass when mixed with the v30. That video seems to confirm this. I'm planning to run 2 ppc112's with a v30 and a g12h30 when i save up a little cash this summer...

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Thu May 20, 2010 3:42 pm

Great link from tacky! 8)

Assuming the amp settings etc are all the same it is one of the best comparisons I've come across, and well enough recorded to let you hear the (big) differences between various speakers.
Of course it only lets you hear 2 different settings with the one amp (I'm assuming), whereas in real life you'd adjust the amp for different speakers to get the best sounds. But it does show for example exactly what I mean about G12T-75s totally killing a rich full amp tone (eg Orange)...

Said it before, the G12H-30 is my own favourite all round rock speaker - period. It is the classic sound of 70s rock to me. I'd have put my favourite old one in my R.30C if I wasn't afraid of blowing it, which I think the amp could do.

Great cleans with good bass (a bit fuller than the V.30), clear sweet top end (which can admittedly get a little shrill with the wrong amp), and a nice complex sounding midrange, but without the potentially nasal upper mid peakiness of the V.30. Handles distortion beautifully.
Cone breakup distortion happens moderately fast, nothing like as early as the G12M-25, but starts rather sooner than with the V.30. (Talking in terms of when each starts to break up in relation to their respective power handling ratings. So a V.30 near 60W breaks up less than a does G12H-30 near 30W, while an G12M-25 starts breaking up way before it gets anywhere near 25W per speaker.)

Pairing with the V.30 is popular enough, though in terms of matching power outputs they aren't the best match. Because a cabs power handling is dependant on the lowest power rated speaker in the cab...
[where all speakers are the same impedance a cabs power handling = lowest speaker power rating x number of speakers in the cab]
...a V.30 and H-30 loaded 2x12 cab will handle 60W, the same as the V.30 alone.

Accepting that, yes soundwise the H-30 adds bass, probably some top too, and fills out the mids nicely. They aren't poles apart sonically and do seem to compliment each other pretty well.

Andy.
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

Bluz57
Prince of Orange

Post by Bluz57 » Thu May 20, 2010 3:53 pm

I use a G12H-30 and a Celestion Gold combo.It is brighter and gives my Orange more of a Marshall tone.It is the best combo I have found for my Retro50.
Paint it blue 4 soul.

baytamusic
Duke of Orange

Post by baytamusic » Thu May 20, 2010 5:19 pm

Thanks for all the comments. I don't plan to mix speakers in the same cab. I will use two separate cabs. Sometimes I'll use both, sometimes one or the other. I'm pretty sold on the G12-H 30s. I think I may just grab one of those cabs when the funds are available. I'm getting ready to get my AD-50 next week which is putting me back a pretty large sum of cash!

Bluz57
Prince of Orange

Post by Bluz57 » Thu May 20, 2010 5:27 pm

I believe you would like the Golds with the AD50.They are worth the money IMO.
Paint it blue 4 soul.

baytamusic
Duke of Orange

Post by baytamusic » Thu May 20, 2010 5:31 pm

Bluz57 wrote:I believe you would like the Golds with the AD50.They are worth the money IMO.
Haha. Are you trying to make me go broke or something? A 4x12 Orange cab loaded with Golds and my Ad50 would cost as much as a cheap car. :oops: Although, I'd pretty much have the coolest amp in the universe. :D

Bluz57
Prince of Orange

Post by Bluz57 » Thu May 20, 2010 5:35 pm

The golden combination is the G12H 30 and the Gold.Tonequest did a report on those speakers a while back.They got the highest marks.
Paint it blue 4 soul.

misterMagoo
Orange Master

Post by misterMagoo » Thu May 20, 2010 6:43 pm

baytamusic wrote:
Bluz57 wrote:I believe you would like the Golds with the AD50.They are worth the money IMO.
Haha. Are you trying to make me go broke or something? A 4x12 Orange cab loaded with Golds and my Ad50 would cost as much as a cheap car. :oops: Although, I'd pretty much have the coolest amp in the universe. :D
The only rational decision is to sell whatever car you have now, (or scooter maybe?) get the cab and stick it in a red flyer wagon. You would then have the coolest amp AND by the associative property the coolest transportation. It would be a hell of a lot of work to get around but you would probably get more a$$ than the rest of us combined. :lol:
-Joe
My mother wears army boots.

RV50 mkI
AC30 combo

Hot tamale.

http://lifereformatted.wordpress.com/
Check out my blog - adventure, travel, and the meaning of life.

Thinline_slim
Orange Master

Post by Thinline_slim » Thu May 20, 2010 8:15 pm

misterMagoo wrote:
baytamusic wrote:
The only rational decision is to sell whatever car you have now, (or scooter maybe?) get the cab and stick it in a red flyer wagon. You would then have the coolest amp AND by the associative property the coolest transportation. It would be a hell of a lot of work to get around but you would probably get more a$$ than the rest of us combined. :lol:
If you follow this advice just think of how much money you will save in gas and auto insurance alone every year! After the first month you would have enough to stock up on a few sets of wagon wheels for "blow outs". Done and done.
Jake
OrangePaul wrote:Ok gitar lead to you Jake :D
"One of the 400"

http://www.purevolume.com/JakeMcallasterBand/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

not_again
Orange Expert

Post by not_again » Thu May 20, 2010 10:40 pm

For me they are much sweeter sounding than the V30's...love one running next to
and with a Greenback...just my humble, old guy opinion!
~mark~

...Just an old guy without a clue!