vintage Orange 4x12 cab and 'graphic' head

Maybe someone can help you date your Orange Amplifier?

Moderator: bclaire

Reginald

vintage Orange 4x12 cab and 'graphic' head

Post by Reginald » Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:33 am

Hi,it's Reggie ,I'm new (....and sorry for my bad English grammar knoledge)
I found a shop who sells a '71 Orange 4x12 speakers cab....it has 120w...
I dont know Orange world neither the new or vintage....
However I know something about Marshall world...but I want premise I dont know what 'back baffle board' means,and this word affects the point which I want examine.....
...so, I read about Jim Marshall in '70-'71 did start(started?) to replace the birch ply back baffle board with a chipboard one....
...so,I wonder if that '71 Orange could have a chipboard or a ply back baffle board?and which speakers type it mounted? Celestion greenback G12 H T1217?

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Re: vintage Orange 4x12 cab and 'graphic' head

Post by Randy Bass » Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:25 pm

If the cab is actually from 1971 (old Oranges can be hard to date) and has its' original speakers, it should have Celestion G12H 30-watt speakers (with green or black plastic magnet cover). The back panel should be birch plywood, although it's not as important to the tone as some people would tell you.

The shop selling the cab would be the best people to answer some of your questions about that specific cab. The only way to know what speakers are actually inside that cab is to look - same with the back panel. The speakers could have been replaced at some point during the last four decades, so you have every right to ask the shop to take the back panel off to check if you are seriously considering buying the cab.

If you buy it, be sure to let us know what you find, along with the serial number(s).

Reginald

Post by Reginald » Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:28 pm

Randy Bass wrote:If the cab is actually from 1971 (old Oranges can be hard to date) and has its' original speakers, it should have Celestion G12H 30-watt speakers (with green or black plastic magnet cover). The back panel should be birch plywood, although it's not as important to the tone as some people would tell you.

The shop selling the cab would be the best people to answer some of your questions about that specific cab. The only way to know what speakers are actually inside that cab is to look - same with the back panel. The speakers could have been replaced at some point during the last four decades, so you have every right to ask the shop to take the back panel off to check if you are seriously considering buying the cab.

Ok...look this:
about the 'back baffle board'....is it the back board or it's the board where the speakers are mounted on?
If you buy it, be sure to let us know what you find, along with the serial number(s).

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Post by Randy Bass » Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:22 pm

The term "Baffle Board" refers to the front panel to which the speakers are mounted. The "Back Panel" is the removable board that closes the back of a closed-back, rear-loaded speaker cabinet. "Back Baffle Board" is not a logical term to me, but probably intends to refer to the Back Panel, which can either be plywood or particle board on most cabs. The (Front) Baffle Board is almost always made of plywood on quality cabs like Orange & M*rshall.

Reginald

Post by Reginald » Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:11 am

Randy Bass wrote:The term "Baffle Board" refers to the front panel to which the speakers are mounted. The "Back Panel" is the removable board that closes the back of a closed-back, rear-loaded speaker cabinet. "Back Baffle Board" is not a logical term to me, but probably intends to refer to the Back Panel, which can either be plywood or particle board on most cabs. The (Front) Baffle Board is almost always made of plywood on quality cabs like Orange & M*rshall.

Into History of M*rshall ,I read about they replaced the plywood baffle board with a chipboard at '70-'71.......do u know if this it's happened also into Orange cabs or they always used plywood?

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Post by Randy Bass » Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:25 pm

Reginald wrote:...Into History of M*rshall ,I read about they replaced the plywood baffle board with a chipboard at '70-'71.......do u know if this it's happened also into Orange cabs or they always used plywood?
M*rshall did start using particle board for their Back Panels at some point in the early 1970s. The Baffle Boards (where the speakers are mounted) have remained plywood on the full-size 1960 cabs to this day.

I have not seen an Orange 4x12 cab with a particle-board Back Panel, but its not that important anyways.

Reginald

Post by Reginald » Wed Apr 28, 2010 4:11 pm

Randy Bass wrote:
Reginald wrote:...Into History of M*rshall ,I read about they replaced the plywood baffle board with a chipboard at '70-'71.......do u know if this it's happened also into Orange cabs or they always used plywood?
M*rshall did start using particle board for their Back Panels at some point in the early 1970s. The Baffle Boards (where the speakers are mounted) have remained plywood on the full-size 1960 cabs to this day.

I have not seen an Orange 4x12 cab with a particle-board Back Panel, but its not that important anyways.

Orange cabs have a wall thickness more thick than Marshall ,right?