Hey dudes :)

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

voodoorider
Tiny Terror

Hey dudes :)

Post by voodoorider » Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:23 pm

Just to say hello really :)

I bought an RV 50 head off of an old Orange endorsee, which has been modified in some way by Adrian himself, and after a nasty crackle today i thought it was maybe an idea to get a little more aquainted with how this amp ticks :twisted:

the_blue_bomber
Orange Master

Re: Hey dudes :)

Post by the_blue_bomber » Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:25 pm

What?
I used to have more Orange stuff. Now I just have a PPC412 (black), and a Micro Crush.

voodoorider
Tiny Terror

Post by voodoorider » Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:27 pm

I said..

I bought an RV 50 head off of an old Orange endorsee, which has been modified in some way by Adrian himself, and after a nasty crackle today i thought it was maybe an idea to get a little more aquainted with how this amp ticks :twisted:

But thanks for the warm welcome anyway..

thenetsux
Orange Hero

Post by thenetsux » Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:31 pm

Do you know or have an idea of what was modded? Not a lot of people here have done many mods to thier orange, or at least don't talk about them often. I'd be interested in hearing, I love tweaking things. Welcome to the forum.
http://www.myspace.com/systemsnc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.myspace.com/thebandmake" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

thenetsux
Orange Hero

Post by thenetsux » Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:33 pm

Oh, and what endorse out of curiosity.
http://www.myspace.com/thebandmake" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

the_blue_bomber
Orange Master

Post by the_blue_bomber » Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:36 pm

voodoorider wrote:I said..

But thanks for the warm welcome anyway..
Yeah, I know you said that. I don't understand what you mean, though. Your grammar isn't making a whole lot of sense.
I used to have more Orange stuff. Now I just have a PPC412 (black), and a Micro Crush.

voodoorider
Tiny Terror

Post by voodoorider » Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:41 pm

Thanks man :)

It was owned by a guy called Rob Chappers.. not exactly a huge name, a youtube celebrity if you will, but a nice guy anyhow. Rob was unsure of what Adrian did himself! The reverb stopped working and Rob took it to Adrian so he could have a look, he took it.. did some hand wiring and fixed it up, i'd imagine it wasn't so much modification as improvement in quality and possibly some little component upgrades, i'd have a look and see but i wouldn't have a clue :lol: :lol: It sounds like any good RV50 anyway :) JJ tubes, and 6!!! preamp tubes?? :shock: :shock: i couldn't believe that when i looked at the chassis!

And the_blue_bomber, i think my grammar is fine, it's my English way of putting things that was the problem :D

thenetsux
Orange Hero

Post by thenetsux » Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:58 pm

Lol, we are all familiar with rob. Awesome that you got one of his rigs. Your first orange?

voodoorider
Tiny Terror

Post by voodoorider » Sun Apr 11, 2010 11:02 pm

Lol what's the deal with Rob here then?

Yeah it is my first one too :) i was going to buy a Marshall 85th combo and he needed to shift the RV due to it standing out a bit among an ever growing stack of Marshalls :lol: so he said.. dude, seriously come and listen to them both.. I didn't need to think too hard about it to be honest once i'd heard them side by side 8) i got it with a ppc1x12 which i also think is pretty bad ass! I wouldn't mind a couple more Oranges but my thirst for guitars tends to make bigger ripples in my heart :lol:

Mono
Orange Expert

Post by Mono » Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:12 am

Cool score man! Chappers gets a mixed reaction here - but I'm not going to open the floor up to debate on his character or his playing.

I haven't heard of many mods to the RV50 circuit, probably because the schematic and PCB are difficult to wrap out puny minds around :lol:

Oh and of the six small tubes, 2 are FX loop send and return, 1 is phase inverter and another 1 is reverb, so only 2 actual preamp tubes I believe.

But yeah, a lot of glassware under the hood, that's fo' sho'.

voodoorider
Tiny Terror

Post by voodoorider » Mon Apr 12, 2010 4:40 am

Ahhh fair enough :lol: :lol: he's quite a good friend of mine anyhow :)

I would love to know exactly what has been done to mine, but unless i get Adrian to A. respond to me and B. remember, i doubt i'll ever know :lol:

Just on the preamp tubes.. I thought it was 1 clean, 2 dirty, fx (only 1 or is that impossible?), phase inverter and reverb?

Wendigo
Orange Master

Post by Wendigo » Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:00 am

I'd bet this IS rob coming back incognito to see what people will say about him. :lol: .

Orphin
Duke of Orange

Post by Orphin » Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:13 am

voodoorider wrote:Lol what's the deal with Rob here then?
He hung around alot he when he played Orange. He converted to Marshall and disappeared.
David
I'm speaking out of my a$$. Yours might differ.

AJS19
Orange Expert

Post by AJS19 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:32 pm

Garry! It's nice to see you here! 8)
Please, call me Austin.
My Gear List

Borderline Productions
Orange Master

Post by Borderline Productions » Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:23 pm

Welcome to the forum. You would have to check with Adrian about the modifications. I am sure he would remember what he did to Rob's amp.

Rob is a great guy. His YouTubes convinced several people on the forum to buy Oranges. He provided good input on the forum. Then he jumped ship, not only from PRS but also from Orange. Some felt betrayed by this. Some of the debate was over whether Orange was a good fit for his style of playing. Some of the debate was over his style of playing.

As a major spokesperson for Orange, it is quite likely that the company made sure Rob's amps were in perfect working order. You are lucky to get his amp. Since he is endorsing another company's amps, it is no longer any use to him. His loss your gain.

So how does it sound?
Bob

http://www.purevolume.com/oxymora" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;