Terror Bass died with no explanation!

Orange Amps Technical Q&A's

Moderator: bclaire

Lunchbox86

Terror Bass died with no explanation!

Post by Lunchbox86 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:54 am

My terror bass 500 died tonight! It just clicked off and would never come back on again. No funny smells. No strange noises. It simply stopped working! I'm in a state of grief here. Can anyone offer an explanation?

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Re: Terror Bass died with no explanation!

Post by Randy Bass » Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:56 pm

Check all connections and try different cables, electrical outlets, etc. in order to rule out other potential external causes. If that doesn't work, it's time to use the warranty.

Lunchbox86

Post by Lunchbox86 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:19 pm

Randy Bass wrote:Check all connections and try different cables, electrical outlets, etc. in order to rule out other potential external causes. If that doesn't work, it's time to use the warranty.
I've tried everything I can think of. I bought the thing from a dealer on eBay, and now I can't get in touch with the guy. What's the easiest way to get in touch with a tech?

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Post by Randy Bass » Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:30 pm

Lunchbox86 wrote:
Randy Bass wrote:Check all connections and try different cables, electrical outlets, etc. in order to rule out other potential external causes. If that doesn't work, it's time to use the warranty.
I've tried everything I can think of. I bought the thing from a dealer on eBay, and now I can't get in touch with the guy. What's the easiest way to get in touch with a tech?
You might want to give Orange USA Tech Support a call (if you are in the U.S.):

http://forum.orangeamps.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=30527" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

They are extremely helpful and should be able to help you sort it out quickly.

Orphin
Duke of Orange

Post by Orphin » Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:12 pm

How about checking the mains fuse? :wink:
David
I'm speaking out of my a$$. Yours might differ.

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:07 pm

Lunchbox86 wrote:My terror bass 500 died tonight! It just clicked off and would never come back on again. No funny smells. No strange noises. It simply stopped working! I'm in a state of grief here. Can anyone offer an explanation?
Check fuses before you do anything...

Lunchbox86

Post by Lunchbox86 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:41 pm

Orphin wrote:How about checking the mains fuse? :wink:
I'd hate to do anything to void my warranty. And, the amp is only 2 and a half weeks old. If a fuse is blowing this soon, it could quite possibly be something more serious.

I talked to the folks at Orange USA's tech support. They were extremely helpful. I decided the best thing to do would be to send it into them and let them take a look.

I bought this amp to replace an SVT 2 Pro that had a serious output issue. I'm wondering if it's a coincidence that I'm having trouble with this one too. Is there any way a malfunctioning cab could cause an amp to crap out like that?

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Post by Randy Bass » Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:48 pm

Lunchbox86 wrote:...Is there any way a malfunctioning cab could cause an amp to crap out like that?
Absolutely - the total impedance must be what you expect it to be according to the label. If wiring or speaker(s) have malfunctioned, the impedance could change and affect the amp. More info about the cab would be helpful, but if it is rated at 4 ohms and has multiple drivers, one could fail and (depending on wiring method) lower the load to the amp, potentially causing problems.

Lunchbox86

Post by Lunchbox86 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:50 pm

Randy Bass wrote:
Lunchbox86 wrote:...Is there any way a malfunctioning cab could cause an amp to crap out like that?
Absolutely - the total impedance must be what you expect it to be according to the label. If wiring or speaker(s) have malfunctioned, the impedance could change and affect the amp. More info about the cab would be helpful, but if it is rated at 4 ohms and has multiple drivers, one could fail and (depending on wiring method) lower the load to the amp, potentially causing problems.
I'm using an Ampeg SVT 410hlf. Does that help at all?

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Post by Randy Bass » Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:05 pm

Lunchbox86 wrote:I'm using an Ampeg SVT 410hlf. Does that help at all?
That should be a 4-ohm cab, so as long as you have the TB set to 4 ohms, it is unlikely that the speaker cab is to blame. It is possible that the cab could have a wiring/speaker issue that would change the impedance, but it is much more likely that the cause of the problem is related to the head itself. I am assuming that the fuses are OK? You won't void the warranty by checking fuses (unless you are REALLY uncoordinated :D ).

If you are comfortable doing so, I would get a screwdriver and start troubleshooting the speaker cab. The input jack panel is the place to start to see if any wires are loose or disconnected. If you can't see what's going on inside the cab, you may need to remove one of the drivers (speakers) from the front to get a better look.

You could always load up your TB in the car and drive up to your nearest Guitar Center to "test" some speaker cabs that you "are interested in buying" :wink: .

Lunchbox86

Post by Lunchbox86 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:38 pm

Randy Bass wrote:
Lunchbox86 wrote:I'm using an Ampeg SVT 410hlf. Does that help at all?
That should be a 4-ohm cab, so as long as you have the TB set to 4 ohms, it is unlikely that the speaker cab is to blame. It is possible that the cab could have a wiring/speaker issue that would change the impedance, but it is much more likely that the cause of the problem is related to the head itself. I am assuming that the fuses are OK? You won't void the warranty by checking fuses (unless you are REALLY uncoordinated :D ).

If you are comfortable doing so, I would get a screwdriver and start troubleshooting the speaker cab. The input jack panel is the place to start to see if any wires are loose or disconnected. If you can't see what's going on inside the cab, you may need to remove one of the drivers (speakers) from the front to get a better look.

You could always load up your TB in the car and drive up to your nearest Guitar Center to "test" some speaker cabs that you "are interested in buying" :wink: .
I've already talked to the Orange USA guys and sent it to them. They're very helpful. And, I trust it in their hands over my own. When I was a teenager, I had a Marshall combo amp that blew fuses constantly. The only time I tried to change it myself, I shocked myself pretty good. I wasn't seriously hurt, but it felt like I got kicked in the chest by a horse. I can't imagine what that would be like with a 500 watt amp.
But, I will be checking out my cab if I can get a friend with a little more knowledge than me to help out. Cabs can't be that complicated, can they?

thenetsux
Orange Hero

Post by thenetsux » Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:15 am

always unplug before you look inside an amp. I don't know if the fuses on those marshalls were close to the caps in the power source, etc, but that seems like a terrible place to put a fuse. also a good idea to keep on hand in your back pocket if you have to go snooping, but if you don't feel comfortable doing the work, you made the right choice. no need to put yourself in harms way. I hope it works out for you.

Get a cheap multi-meter, plug the speaker cable into the cab, put the black prong on the tip and the red on the sleeve. set your muti-meter to 20ohm. you should get a reading in the 3ish-5ish ohm's. that's perfectly normal for a 4ohm cab. It's always approximate anyhow. If you get anything significantly lower or higher, then your cab has an issue. Not likely if all the speakers are preforming.
http://www.myspace.com/systemsnc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.myspace.com/thebandmake" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:20 am

Worst thing of all for an amps output section is an intermittant bad connection. If the cab has those crappy push on spade connectors for the back plate / speaker connections then get them removed and the wires properly soldered to the tags before using it again. These things are notorious for causing problems.

In fact I just used a nice Ampeg 1x15 cab where my old tech had removed the spades and hard wired everything. He said that reliability questions apart the improvement in sound quality with this (near new!) cab was nothing short of stunning. He said it had more top / bottom definition and way more mids - like several decibels louder there. Surprised even him and he has been at it for a good few years now!

I just wish that quality makers would realise that fitting spade connectors is a false economy. They are TOTALLY BL**DY USELESS for high power connections like for mains and speakers. They can corrode giving bad connections, or even vibrate right off, especially near loudspeakers.... :evil: :evil: :evil:

Andy.
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

gar

Post by gar » Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:25 am

did you have a resolution from Orange on this one?

i've just had exactly the same problem happen to me.

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Wed Sep 29, 2010 2:15 pm

gar wrote:did you have a resolution from Orange on this one?

i've just had exactly the same problem happen to me.
How do you know it was the same problem gar? :?

BTW You don't know! We don't even yet know what the problem with your amp was. Right now you both just had BTs which for some reason stopped working. Doesn't sound like his actually took anything else out with it though unlike yours and that other we discussed today.

This is what I mean about not jumping to conclusions. 'I had exactly the same problem!' usually means 'my amp did something a bit like that too!" Doesn't make it the same problem with the same cause at all though, if you follow me.

If you spend enough time here you'll see all sorts of amp problems, and might think that Oranges are the most unreliable amps on the planet too. Don't forget that while we do deal with a lot of problems here that is exactly because it is an Orange amps forum! Most people who buy them however A. probably never ever come here and B. probably get many years of reliable service from their amps. :wink:

Andy.
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!