Wow it's been a while! Reverb Suggestions?

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

DUBS
Tiny Terror

Wow it's been a while! Reverb Suggestions?

Post by DUBS » Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:20 pm

I'm looking at getting some reverb on my board. I've tried a bunch of them out, and I've narrowed it down to a couple. But I also know that these things a notorious tone suckers! I've narrowed it down to the EH Holy Grail nano, and the Line 6 Verbzilla. The EH sounds awesome, and convincingly like a real spring reverb. But the Line 6 has the Octoverb which blew my mind! Decisions, decisions. I'm also planning on getting/using a bypass loop. I'm relatively new to the "Pedal World", and I have noticed a difference in my tone when pedals are in front of my rig. I've traditionally only used a Boss tuner, and a MXR Microamp, but my band is releasing a new album in March, and I need some effects to recreate what we recorded in the studio. So if you could help me out on how to put these bad boys in order that would help a ton! I'll list what I have, and list what I plan on getting...

What I have:
Boss TU-2 Tuner
MXR Micro Amp
Boss DD-7 Delay
Cry Baby

What I'm Getting:
EH Holy Grail or Line 6 Verbzilla
Zvex Fuzz Factory
MXR Carbon Copy Delay

Usually in front of a Tiny Terror, Or Marshall DSL100

Thanks!

colfaxrev
Orange Expert

Re: Wow it's been a while! Reverb Suggestions?

Post by colfaxrev » Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:55 pm

i'd suggest EH, and just get an octave pedal. don't let teh weird octave feature steer you away!
http://animalbeast.fm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

llldavid
Rocker

Post by llldavid » Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:56 pm

i would try the malleko spring chicken i believe its true bypass too maybe wrong but i have a reverbamate and it has supposedly the same tank as the fender deluxe reverb and the malleko still blew my mind and its also really compact
i own a orange ad140 and a 412 fender super sonic cab
...and a lot of other junk

malonius
Tiny Terror

Post by malonius » Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:47 am

The Digitech Hardwire Reverb RV7 is a stomp box full of lexicon studio reverbs. It gets a good rating...

See you tube vid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vsxk1rJ4mWk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It puts out some great reverbs - all seem pretty useable (with the exception of maybe the reverse one!)

A suggestion for the order of effects you already have could be:
Cry Baby
TU2
Micro Amp
DD7

A reverb would normally go last in the chain. The Zvex would go before the micro amp.

You should notice a difference between these going in front of the amp as opposed to using the loop. Most people recommend that the loop is used for modulation and time-based effects such as chorus, delay & reverb. So that means that overdrives, fuzzes, distortions and boosts should "push" the pre-amp so should go before the amp. So in future if you're going to split the effects between "before and after", it should be as follows:
Cry Baby
TU2
Zvex
Micro-amp
with the Delay and the reverb in the loop (in that order)

This is simply convention though. You might like the sounds of it all at the front. In the case of the Tiny Terror, you won't have much choice unless you've modded it with a loop?? The DSL 100 though, does have an effects loop so you can try it all out on that to see the tonal differences. but you should use whatever works for your ears and your tone. My advice though is to keep the inter-connecting cables as short as you can. It can make a big difference to your tone when you add all the cabling up it amounts to a sizeable line between your guitar and your amp...

There are loop switchers which help you organise your effects chain such as the Gigrig, Voodoolab and GLab kit. Each of these can be found on youtube to help you understand exactly what they do.
Malonius

Fender Jeff Beck Strat, Fender Clapton Strat, Fender Telecaster, Gibson ES339, Telecaster Custom
Orange Rockerverb 50, Mesa Express 5 50, Orange PPC212-OB Marshall 1936 cab

DUBS
Tiny Terror

Post by DUBS » Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:55 am

@malonius

Wow thank you for that tutorial. It's extremely helpful! Like I said, I've always been a "meat and potatoes" kind of player. This is all new to me!

Nork
Orange Master

Post by Nork » Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:55 am

the other thing you can look into is the malekko chicklet...decent little pedal!
--Nick

Parker Nitefly SA -> TC PolyTune -> OLER Box ->Timmy -> MP SHOD -> Eventide TimeFactor/e3 -> Orange TT -> Avatar 112 (Weber 1225)

BrianPhase90

Post by BrianPhase90 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 4:08 am

I use a Malekko Spring Chicken... The Chicklet is also awesome... Look into these before going with the more mass produced stuff...