Matamp, Orange...decisions....

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Tango
Orange Master

Re: Matamp, Orange...decisions....

Post by Tango » Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:48 am

Course Jeremy, thank you, I shall keep that in mind. Current thinking is to carry on with the Matamp, Paul's currently getting it to go through it paces to see if he can sort it, and get the TT for my Orange want. Might take it back to Matamp if no joy and see what they think.
I know it's my inabilities to get the tone rather than the Matamp, I know for sure there's the most glorious clean sound in there, I found it once...

I guess I just remember loving my AD30, even though the bloody thing had to be at stadium volumes before it would overdrive.
http://www.radio-clash.com/fr_home.cfm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

BrianGT
Duke of Orange

Post by BrianGT » Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:06 pm

Rachel, I really think that most of your problem is the speakers. I'm not saying that so you keep the Matamp! :)
The 2x12 cab is a truly great cab but out of all the speakers I tried with my Matamp head the Greenbacks were the worst sounding. They just sounded bland.
I had a pair in a handwired Marshall cab and whilst they really suited the Marshall 2016x head they just didn't go with the Matamp.
By the way, your King St. is very similarly voiced to a 1224 because I borrowed one once.
The best speakers I have found for my taste and my amp are Celestion century vintage...they allow the amp to really shine.
A cheaper alternative is the Celestion Hot 100's from Matamp. I have no idea what model they really are but they sound fabulous with a Matamp and they really are cheap!! Every time I have played a Matamp at the factory, including mine, I have been blown away by them.
You kind of need a clear sounding speaker with a Matamp, one that doesn't have any inherently eq traits, it allows you to turn up "bass" and hear bass without it going to mud.
Try and play your head through a different cab if at all possible because it makes far more diference than pickups, valves, leads etc.
BrianGT
http://www.myspace.com/gentlethunderband" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Tango
Orange Master

Post by Tango » Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:28 pm

Thanks Brian, had considered swapping them out.
Decisions, decisions...
http://www.radio-clash.com/fr_home.cfm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Taronja
Orange Master

Post by Taronja » Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:59 pm

Tango wrote:
Frank H wrote:Marshall! You've got the guitar right, now get the amp right.
OOps...this isn't the Marshall forum?
Nooooooo, can't...bring...myself....to get a....M....Ma.....Mar......, nope, no good, can't say it :wink:
yeah know, Rachel.

i had this EXACT same opinion, hands down never to buy a Marshall. had this for many years. i was buying amps monthly looking for my tone. then one snowy cold day, a good friend offered me to trade an old 70's JMP for a Roland XP60 synth (i never used). he really wanted the synth so i gave in and once i used the that beast, there was no turning back. im hooked. still LOVE Orange. im just waiting for funds to be able to get a Dual Terror BUT none the less, ill always own a Marshall and (a few years ago) never in my wildest dreams thought id be posting a message like this or owning a JCM800 :oops: but there is something "magical" about a Gibson Les Paul into a classic Marshall 8) :wink:

but, its what you want, try a DT as mentioned above, or try an attenuator on your Mat also mentioned. for some reason im thinking a TT might not be exactly what your looking for ??

that is one heck of a nice looking rig you have, it would be kinda weird to see you give it up :wink:

Jon
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Easter-B ... 6877535568
Member since 2005
Currently a non orange owner. Im actively in search of a vintage OR head... Feel free to send me any leads... :)

irish_admiral
Prince of Orange

Post by irish_admiral » Sat Feb 06, 2010 3:42 pm

Brian got there ahead of me. Think the Greenbacks would suit an old Marshall amp, but not the Mats...
Joe

G(sus) saves

Orange AD15, Matamp 1224, Fender 'JD' Tele, G&L ASAT, Duesenberg Starplayer TV, Eggle Kanuga, Avalon D25, Warwick FNA Jazzman, Eden Nemesis / Bergantino EX112S, Eastman MD305 & other stuff...

ECWeagles
Orange Master

Post by ECWeagles » Sat Feb 06, 2010 5:23 pm

Plus 1 on the hot 100s.

I use those speakers and think they suit the matamp sound.

Joe will remember that I spent quite a while on the matamp speaker wall.

I was not impressed with the green backs when I tried them. Quite muddy with the matamp.
Jeremy

Many guitars, many pedals.

"God is most glorified in us, when we are most satisfied in him." John Piper

BrianGT
Duke of Orange

Post by BrianGT » Sat Feb 06, 2010 6:17 pm

I was not impressed with the green backs when I tried them. Quite muddy with the matamp.
Yes......just not suited to Matamps. Great with my Marshall.
BrianGT
http://www.myspace.com/gentlethunderband" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Tango
Orange Master

Post by Tango » Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:00 pm

Thanks guys, it would be a reluctant sale. The old boy isn't sounding so great at the mo after a good fiddle this morning it's no better really, have managed to get an ok tone for now, will try swapping things around.

Was considering the Rocker 30 if things don't work out, but the TT first cause I could get that and keep the Mat.

I used to have a classic Marshall many years ago, looked great, sounded carp, never could bring myself to love it. Paul is always on at me about Marshall, a winning combination he says, but to me it's far too obvious, I want something a little different.

BrianGT
Duke of Orange

Post by BrianGT » Sun Feb 07, 2010 12:52 am

Rachel.......how soon do you need to find something new?

I'm going to Daves again soon, he's building me another guitar Shhhhhhhhh!, and I would willingly meet up with you at St. Michaels Wood services and loan you a DT and a Matamp cab loaded with Centuries and a pair of Alnico Blues to try out in your own cab. I'm serious.........I always stop there for the 59 item breakfast!!
It would cost me nothing to do that and you could try at your leisure with your own gear.
It just helps you to try without buying first! :D
BrianGT

Tango
Orange Master

Post by Tango » Sun Feb 07, 2010 3:33 pm

Brian, I am lost for words at such a kind offer. I will pm you.

Blainy
Orange Master

Post by Blainy » Sun Feb 07, 2010 4:21 pm

Tango wrote:No decent guitar shops to try AB-ing, and no Orange retailers. As for keeping the Matamp for cleans, it's not really practical as I hardly ever need loud cleans and it's more a dirty rock amp.

Thanks though
Rach, I know it's a bit of a trek, but Dawson's in Reading has the full Orange range.

Do you need reverb? If not maybe a Rocker 30? The limitation of the TT for live work is the lack of cleans. If you don't need cleans, then the TT's perfect.

As far as comparison with the latest Oranges...DT, Thunder 30, etc......confused.com

Tango
Orange Master

Post by Tango » Sun Feb 07, 2010 4:41 pm

Thank you, that is good to know. :)

Le Chat Noir
Duke of Orange

Post by Le Chat Noir » Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:08 pm

Everything I'd say has been said above, except... it'd be a crime to separate that head from that cab, those two hot pink friends will be lonely without eachother!! ;)
Teddy
The Blackwater Rebellion: 2-piece alt rock duo http://theblackwaterrebellion.bandcamp.com/
I play an AD30TC

irish_admiral
Prince of Orange

Post by irish_admiral » Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:42 pm

Brian, give us a shout when you're down Cardiff way and if i'm around, i'll grab a beer with you. Dave D is only a couple of miles away from me...
Joe

G(sus) saves

Orange AD15, Matamp 1224, Fender 'JD' Tele, G&L ASAT, Duesenberg Starplayer TV, Eggle Kanuga, Avalon D25, Warwick FNA Jazzman, Eden Nemesis / Bergantino EX112S, Eastman MD305 & other stuff...

riffmonster
Orange Master

Post by riffmonster » Sun Feb 07, 2010 7:40 pm

Tango...

Brian's offer is genuine, he did the same for me with some pickups (sent them to me to try out) - a very trusting person! :D

Maybe a Marshall clone might be worth a look?

Teddy

Just ordered an 18W clone from valvepower (one on ebay with a proper wooden box, none of this toaster malarky)

:D
Mark