Matamp, Orange...decisions....

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Tango
Orange Master

Matamp, Orange...decisions....

Post by Tango » Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:43 pm

What to do....my Matamp. It doesn't seem to be happy with my custom, think an orange might sound better with the it. I did love my orange, but it was very clean and to get it overdriven it had to be VERY loud with my epi and I do need dirty (the custom is more of a dirty fellow than the epi), even then I was in half a mind to stick with it, whereas my custom and matamp don't seem to be able to generate a tone that I am really happy with and I think I need something with a bit more wattage.
Don't know whether to just stick with it, get the TT and see how it goes with the custom, sell matamp head and buy orange head, but keep the matamp slant cab as it is ace.

Don't really want to sell the matamp, it is an excellent amp but I don't seem to be able to make it work for me. I can't afford to keep something that expensive and not use it.

:(

Don't really think anyone can help, but it's out there anyway
http://www.radio-clash.com/fr_home.cfm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Nork
Orange Master

Re: Matamp, Orange...decisions....

Post by Nork » Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:48 pm

hey rach - i don't know if i can help at all! but if you're dissatisfied with your tone, you're unhappy! time to move on, unfortunately.

if you like the TT and need more wattage, find a DT or wait for the thunder30 and see what that gives. are you close to a shop where you might be able to AB a few amps with your Mat?
--Nick

Parker Nitefly SA -> TC PolyTune -> OLER Box ->Timmy -> MP SHOD -> Eventide TimeFactor/e3 -> Orange TT -> Avatar 112 (Weber 1225)

Drdos
Orange Master

Post by Drdos » Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:52 pm

I would keep the Matamp, and buy the TT. Use the TT for Dirt and Matamp for cleans. Just me though.. Good luck on the Hunt.. :mrgreen:
Vince

Tango
Orange Master

Post by Tango » Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:14 pm

No decent guitar shops to try AB-ing, and no Orange retailers. As for keeping the Matamp for cleans, it's not really practical as I hardly ever need loud cleans and it's more a dirty rock amp.

Thanks though
http://www.radio-clash.com/fr_home.cfm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

BrianGT
Duke of Orange

Post by BrianGT » Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:17 pm

Hi Rachel,
If it isn't doing it for you then maybe it's time to move on and that's regardless of what make it is!
I would keep the 2x12 Matamp cab because they are truly great cabs. I have 3 of them!
I would definitely try the DT. It is a medium powered amp with great tone and just that bit more headroom than the TT. I think you might struggle with the TT after the Matamp.
The DT excels at semi dirty or crunch sounds which I think would be right up your street. The ability to switch down to 15 watts would help in small venues and the TT side of it IS a TT or 15 extra watts when needed.
I can set up a clean sound from the TT and a great crunch from the Fat channel and then kick in a clean boost pedal for more solo volume.
I think in your case you could get your cleans and crunch from the TT channel, backing guitar volume off for clean and then get a really fat solo/riff sound from the Fat channel.
I play mine mainly through the Matamp cabs in the studio but i do use the 1x12 Orange in the bedroom.
Seek one out and audition! :lol:
BrianGT
http://www.myspace.com/gentlethunderband" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Drdos
Orange Master

Post by Drdos » Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:45 pm

Tango wrote:No decent guitar shops to try AB-ing, and no Orange retailers. As for keeping the Matamp for cleans, it's not really practical as I hardly ever need loud cleans and it's more a dirty rock amp.

Thanks though
Oops misread your OP. You were saying that the Orange you used to have was the loud clean and not the Matamp. Sorry... :oops: I think the DT and or possible the new TV30 would work well, but have you tried that TT yet. If so It may fit your volume needs. I've been gigin mine for 2 yrs now. Venues small to medium 75-100 people to 300-400 and never have an issue with volume. If I need more I mic it. Anyways Cheers.
Vince

Deacon Blues
Orange Master

Post by Deacon Blues » Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:18 pm

if you have to convince yourself that you are satisfied with something, then you are not satisfied with it.

my AD30 was a fantastic amp, but i couldn't get the sound i wanted out of it so i sold it. it was hard to make that decision because i feel like i really bonded with the amp, but i had to sell it because it wasn't using it and i need the cash. same story with my les paul standard
My name is Alex. I used to have an AD30HTC, but now I have an RV50 and PPC212.

Tango
Orange Master

Post by Tango » Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:05 pm

Thanks guys, sound advice as always.
To buy anything but the TT the Matamp needs to be sold, so maybe I'll try that before jumping in and selling.
Ah well, at least I know that the custom is THE guitar, even if the amp is giving me a headache.
Last edited by Tango on Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

irish_admiral
Prince of Orange

Post by irish_admiral » Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:06 pm

Mmm...

Decide in haste, repent at leisure.

I had a little difficulty getting to grips with my Matamp initially, but then decided I liked it. I would probably hang onto it over my AD30.

You've got a King Street, haven't you Rachel? I'm not sure what the EQ is like on it compared to the 1224, but I was able to dial in a sound I liked with a bit of quality time spent with the amp...

... though one thing i'll mention is that the V30 speaker that I had in my Matamp cab didn't do the amp any favours. Swapped it out for a Century Vintage speaker and was much happier.

In terms of volume, the King Street is a 15 watter, no? So I think if you decide to swap to a TT or DT, it should be for the tone rather than volume as they'll all be roughly in the same ballpark.

Have a play with the King Street EQ for a bit and think about the speaker you're using... if you just can't get it to work any which way up, then go ahead and try something else.
Joe

G(sus) saves

Orange AD15, Matamp 1224, Fender 'JD' Tele, G&L ASAT, Duesenberg Starplayer TV, Eggle Kanuga, Avalon D25, Warwick FNA Jazzman, Eden Nemesis / Bergantino EX112S, Eastman MD305 & other stuff...

Tango
Orange Master

Post by Tango » Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:12 am

i've got celestion greenbacks loaded in my cab, which I am keeping cause it it a fantastic sized slant cab.
Spent lots of time with the matamp over the last 3 years, so not rushing into it.
Thanks for your thoughts Joe, appreciate it, as I do all of you :)

Y0UNGBL00D
Orange Master

Post by Y0UNGBL00D » Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:27 am

My typical answer: attenuator. Try the Weber mass series
Thunderverb 50,
modded SG, pedals, shiner bock.

Frank H
Orange Master

Post by Frank H » Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:58 am

Marshall! You've got the guitar right, now get the amp right.
OOps...this isn't the Marshall forum?

Bluz57
Prince of Orange

Post by Bluz57 » Sat Feb 06, 2010 4:26 am

Frank H wrote:Marshall! You've got the guitar right, now get the amp right.
:wink: ....... :mrgreen:
Paint it blue 4 soul.

Tango
Orange Master

Post by Tango » Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:19 am

Frank H wrote:Marshall! You've got the guitar right, now get the amp right.
Nooooooo, can't...bring...myself....to get a....M....Ma.....Mar......, nope, no good, can't say it :wink:

ECWeagles
Orange Master

Post by ECWeagles » Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:31 am

Remember rach, matamp will revoice your amp for you free. They will also
give you full credit value on that amp if you want to upgrade.
Jeremy

Many guitars, many pedals.

"God is most glorified in us, when we are most satisfied in him." John Piper