Suggestion Box

Maybe someone can help you date your Orange Amplifier?

Moderator: bclaire

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Suggestion Box

Post by Randy Bass » Sat Jan 16, 2010 3:10 am

I know there's already a picture gallery in Community Discussion, but every time I see Serial Numbers as the only category under Vintage Orange, I can't help but think that there should be a "Pics Only" category below it. It would be nice to have an individual picture thread for each vintage Orange amp model so people could easily find what they are looking for. More organization would make my brain hurt a little less and would allow people to use the forum more efficiently. I'm not sure who to bother (Billy?) with such petty ideas, so why not a Suggestion Box too?

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Re: Suggestion Box

Post by a.hun » Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:15 am

Randy Bass wrote:I know there's already a picture gallery in Community Discussion, but every time I see Serial Numbers as the only category under Vintage Orange, I can't help but think that there should be a "Pics Only" category below it. It would be nice to have an individual picture thread for each vintage Orange amp model so people could easily find what they are looking for. More organization would make my brain hurt a little less and would allow people to use the forum more efficiently. I'm not sure who to bother (Billy?) with such petty ideas, so why not a Suggestion Box too?
But my vintage Orange isn't a 'Pics Only' model - it is a 'Pics and Text'! I'm supposed to feel excluded and inferior then...? :roll: :wink:

Just messing - its not a bad idea at all. But there is already THE ORANGE AMP FIELD GUIDE which covers most things 'old Orange' pretty well. And anyway I don't think there are huge numbers of vintage owners here. The PP ORANGE FORUM is way more Vintage Orange biased than here, bless 'em all and Gladmarr too! :!:

Tell you what should go in the suggestion box though: another suggestion box. One directed at Orange!

It is a bit hit and miss which threads admin people ever pick up on. Having one focus for real questions / suggestions which Orange actually checked once in a while would be my suggestion!

Trouble is we'd probably just end up getting all the...
Orangeade Emsley wrote:'i want me a 4 channel Megaduplovolcanoverb 750, must be switchable to 0.3W class A, and have shiny orange chickenhead knobs on!'
and...
Orangescum wrote:'Please reissue the OR120 but in fluorescent punk snot green!
Thanks so much,

Grindley (puker) Whistlefield!'
...type items from those 'wishlist' threads. :twisted:

And still no bleedin' instruction manuals... :shock:

Andy.
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Sat Jan 16, 2010 3:43 pm

I've been toying with the idea of collecting all of Geert's info and expanding upon it in a new website. Haven't heard from him in a long time and the Field Guide lost its domain name and hasn't been updated in a long time either so... I'd hate to see all of that info lost.

I have an idea for a website that would be easier to navigate and be a better resource for Orange info...

Sooner
Orange Master

Post by Sooner » Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:56 pm

It would be cool to have a site like Geert's that was up to date. The history of the new stuff seems to be almost as fuzzy as that of the vintage stuff sometimes. :(
Sooner
AD1512 Serial No. 001

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:05 pm

Sooner wrote:It would be cool to have a site like Geert's that was up to date. The history of the new stuff seems to be almost as fuzzy as that of the vintage stuff sometimes. :(
Yeah, I have to agree with you on that one! I was thinking of an actual graphic timeline for ID purposes...

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Post by Randy Bass » Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:31 pm

I mainly think that the Orange forum seems incomplete without more historical information. After all, OMEC does benefit quite a lot from its' history & tradition. It may be debatable as to whether it is worth Orange putting a lot of effort into documenting their history online, but I think we at the forum would be glad to do most of the work if the proper framework were created. I should also note (as previously stated) that there are some other online efforts to document Orange's history that are quite well done. It would be nice if the scattered data could be merged into a coherent and authoritative package on this forum. Here's what I have in my Bookmarks:

Functioning link to Geert's Orange Amps Field Guide: http://users.telenet.be/orangefg/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Nick's (fiveightandten) Orange Amps Info Page: http://orangeampguide.atspace.com/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Markus' Orange Picture Gallery: http://www.soulbuzz.de/orange/frame2.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:42 am

bclaire wrote:
Sooner wrote:It would be cool to have a site like Geert's that was up to date. The history of the new stuff seems to be almost as fuzzy as that of the vintage stuff sometimes. :(
Yeah, I have to agree with you on that one! I was thinking of an actual graphic timeline for ID purposes...
Wow, you guys are agreeing for once! :lol:

Yeah I just checked and Geert hasn't posted on the PP forum since Feb '09. Even his own OFG link there is outdated. Still the one above does work, though as you say it hasn't been updated in ages. You'd of course need to check with him if using any of his info directly, but if he isn't wanting to keep it up to date himself any more he might well be open to that.

Be good to get someone like Nick (5/8/10) on board, especially for his technical insight and clear concise explainations. (My own big failing - I know that! :P ) But of course he seems to have vanished again - last post here was last November. Probably still racing his red Beamer instead of making proper music...

I've been mulling over an idea of my own - to put together a more in depth (semi) technical FAQ list, to try to condense answers to some of the commoner questions. That would for example just need one (closed) sticky thread post, with just a series of links for each topic. Perhaps the actual short articles could go via Billy, hosted on his prospective new site?

It's just a thought, but since so much of the older info here is so much less readable due to old forum code in the text and out of date links, searches here are getting less and less useful. Though it'd be great if Orange could sort these problems with the newest forum software, I've never had any reaction to that idea. Pity - there is so much good older info on the forum.

Good to see these very positive ideas. Keep 'em coming! 8)

Andy.
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

Sooner
Orange Master

Post by Sooner » Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:29 am

a.hun wrote: Wow, you guys are agreeing for once! :lol:
Yeah but the thread's not over yet... :D
a.hun wrote: Good to see these very positive ideas. Keep 'em coming! 8)
Well there's alway been the idea of an Off Topic Section to "keep all the BS clear of the main section" that apparently a large majority of the members would like to see. :roll:
Sooner
AD1512 Serial No. 001

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:06 am

Ha ha ha ha!

Well we'll see how it all goes... I have to whack the site first and then come up with a concise plan. I've been collecting pix for years of random Orange stuff that pops up on ebay and other sites. Making sense of it will be a challenge since a lot of times I just saved the images without clear labels but I have some really cool pictures!

Le Chat Noir
Duke of Orange

Post by Le Chat Noir » Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:30 am

How about a Beers Of The World subforum? ;)
Teddy
The Blackwater Rebellion: 2-piece alt rock duo http://theblackwaterrebellion.bandcamp.com/
I play an AD30TC

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:44 pm

Le Chat Noir wrote:How about a Beers Of The World subforum? ;)
Now you're talkin'