Looking to sell my RV50

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

timme_v
Orange Hero

Looking to sell my RV50

Post by timme_v » Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:34 pm

Sadly after 2 weeks in the studio I'm looking to sell my RV50H for something else..

I really love how it sounds live, but when I recorded with my band, I ended up using a bogner Alchemist because the Orange sounded too dark for my taste, and for some reason the RV50 sounded pretty bad with OD pedals..

Anyway, I'm looking for something compareable that can handle pedals well and (preferrably) has onboard reverb. I don't need bells and whistles.. I like 2 channel amps, simple and smooth. Any suggestions? I've been looking at Marshalls (dsl, jcm900) etc. Easily my favourite part of the Orange is how ballsy it gets live on the distortion channel.. It's so thick and heavy, but I also like chimey cleans.

I play alternative rock music for band.. eg: the killers, silversun pickups, thrice (alot of different stuff) and at home I ponder into some blues. My primary guitar is a 72 deluxe tele.

Anything you can suggest would be good.. Maybe even different tubes for the Orange?

BrianGT
Duke of Orange

Re: Looking to sell my RV50

Post by BrianGT » Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:33 pm

I can understand your frustration....they are so mid voiced that they do sound good live but getting really great cleans is more difficult...especially recorded where you want a lively clean sound.

The clean channel on the RV50 has tone controls that interact....if you want to cut the mids and get a much clearer sound you have to really crank BOTH bass and treble......this will reduce the mids.
If you just crank the treble trying to get it brighter you keep the mids......just try it and you will hear it happening.
I had bass on about 2 oclock and treble around 3 oclock.......or thereabouts.

Changing tubes will make no difference to the voicing of the amp....it will flavour it a little but it won't make it another amp.

To use pedals you really need a cleanish amp or at least a brighter sounding amp to be fully able to "hear" the pedal.
BrianGT
http://www.myspace.com/gentlethunderband" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

CD9266
Orange Master

Post by CD9266 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:54 pm

BrianGT wrote:I can understand your frustration....they are so mid voiced that they do sound good live but getting really great cleans is more difficult...especially recorded where you want a lively clean sound.

The clean channel on the RV50 has tone controls that interact....if you want to cut the mids and get a much clearer sound you have to really crank BOTH bass and treble......this will reduce the mids.
If you just crank the treble trying to get it brighter you keep the mids......just try it and you will hear it happening.
I had bass on about 2 oclock and treble around 3 oclock.......or thereabouts.

Changing tubes will make no difference to the voicing of the amp....it will flavour it a little but it won't make it another amp.

To use pedals you really need a cleanish amp or at least a brighter sounding amp to be fully able to "hear" the pedal.
I think you may have read and responded to my topic about my amp problem where I didn't like the new preamp tubes in my amp... That Tung-Sol 12AX7 in the clean slot changed it... completely. It's chimey, it's brighter. Everything. Also changed the entire OD section to another sound.

Timme, the RV50 is a great amp, but it may not be for you. Yes using OD pedals on the gain channel isn't going to do much as the RV has too much gain on tap it's OD channel is probably designed to be stand alone unless you are using an EQ or something of that sort. Best of luck to you in whatever you decide to do and I hope it works out for you.
http://www.reverbnation.com/coreydiller" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sunset Justice - Now on iTunes!

Bensen
Orange Master

Post by Bensen » Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:48 pm

I own an AD30 wich also isn't the cleanest amp in the world but sounds awesome live. Bought a DR-Clone as a backup/ nother colour/ pedalplattform/ smallclubamp and to record sparkling cleans. Really happy with this combination of amps. I don't think I would find all of that in a single amp

Le Chat Noir
Duke of Orange

Post by Le Chat Noir » Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:39 pm

Bensen wrote:I don't think I would find all of that in a single amp
This is a good point. Too many people are looking for everything in one amp, and it's often not possible. It's all a compromise, and the only way to avoid compromise is to own several different amps for different purposes. Plenty of guys use two amps live, one for dirty and one for clean, and switch between the two. It all comes down to how far you'll go to get the tone in your head I guess!

All that said, something big and clean with pelnty of headroom and a more neutral voicing will be a much better platform for pedals than any modern Orange.
Teddy
The Blackwater Rebellion: 2-piece alt rock duo http://theblackwaterrebellion.bandcamp.com/
I play an AD30TC

Bensen
Orange Master

Post by Bensen » Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:17 pm

timme_v wrote:Anything you can suggest would be good.. Maybe even different tubes for the Orange?
Different tubes or different speakers! Lot's of guys here play greenbacks instead of V30s (or combine the two) to get a more open sound

Le Chat Noir
Duke of Orange

Post by Le Chat Noir » Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:24 pm

Bensen wrote:Different tubes or different speakers! Lot's of guys here play greenbacks instead of V30s (or combine the two) to get a more open sound
Neither of these will solve his issue with it not taking pedals well though. In the end, tubes and speakers are the icing on the cake... if you don't like the basic flavour of the cake, you're still not going to like it with a different flavoured icing!
Teddy
The Blackwater Rebellion: 2-piece alt rock duo http://theblackwaterrebellion.bandcamp.com/
I play an AD30TC

malonius
Tiny Terror

Post by malonius » Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:18 pm

I've got an RV50 - stock tubes - through a stock PPC212OB fitted with Celestion Vintage 30's - and love the tone it gives - both clean & dirty. Like you I play alternative covers - Killers, Kings of Leon, Stereophonics, Muse, Foo Fighters etc.

I find that the Orange caters for all of these sounds very well in a live situation. I took BrianGT's advice about the clean channel and it worked really well for me. I now get a great clean tone using both a Strat and my Gibson ES339... I wouldn't be satisfied with a clean tone using my Les Paul through any clean amp - including a Fender or Hiwatt which are both renowned for their extensive clean headroom... That is because I just don't think a Les Paul is designed for a clean tone - particularly when fitted with more modern Burstbuckers rather than Classic 57's... But that's just my opinion...

Anyway, the advice given by BrianGT made me realise that the RV50's EQ is designed a little differently to other amps. You may have to alter settings to more "unusual" positions to achieve a result.

I only ever use a clean boost on my dirty channel. I'm no engineer, but I think that the gain structure on the dirty channel is "boutique" and is therefore engineered in a different way to your average amp... It definitely doesn't take overdrive pedals well, whereas the clean channel does.

I have also considered the question you pose... I too like a bit of reverb - especially on the clean channel. But I could do without it - or almost without it - on the dirty channel.

So if you must look at another amp, I'd recommend you try a Mesa Boogie Express 5:50. This amp gives full EQ and reverb to the clean channel and (separate) full EQ and reverb to the dirty (named Blues) channel. The EQ's are fully adjustable as are the reverbs for each channel. You also have the advantage of switching from 50 watts (Class A/B) to 5 watts (Class A) so you can get the tone you need with the tube burning in the studio. It does take pedals well and the tones from it are very good indeed. I know because it is my "other" amp, and I have used it for gigging and for recording. Its clean tones are close to Fender (no surprise there due to 6L6 tubes) and the spring reverb is a good quality. The Express series was never designed to produce that rectified sound that Mesa is famous for - they already did that elsewhere in their range. The Express is more of an all-round amp with good tonal properties that takes your tone from Clean through break-up to Blues to Hard Rock, but stopping short of modern metal. A great, versatile amp, with good reviews from the major guitar magazines. If you look on You Tube, there are a few videos which demonstrate it's tones quite nicely.

Anyway - this ended up being longer than I intended - so I'll get off now. Before you move on in your search for the Holy Grail of tone, please satisfy yourself that you have explored the full range of the RV50, because I really do think it is an excellent amp. Best of luck in your choice...!
Malonius

Fender Jeff Beck Strat, Fender Clapton Strat, Fender Telecaster, Gibson ES339, Telecaster Custom
Orange Rockerverb 50, Mesa Express 5 50, Orange PPC212-OB Marshall 1936 cab

Sooner
Orange Master

Post by Sooner » Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:18 pm

timme_v wrote: Anything you can suggest would be good..
I suggest you bump the thread up regularly and hopefully someone here on the forum will make you a decent offer for it... :D
Sooner
AD1512 Serial No. 001

BrianGT
Duke of Orange

Post by BrianGT » Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:41 pm

I took BrianGT's advice about the clean channel and it worked really well for me.
:oops: :oops: Wow! Thank you!

You know.....most amps with just a treble and bass work in that way.......and you know another thing?

Most people don't know that! :lol:
BrianGT
http://www.myspace.com/gentlethunderband" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

aokd00d
Rocker

Post by aokd00d » Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:57 pm

Le Chat Noir wrote:
Bensen wrote:I don't think I would find all of that in a single amp
This is a good point. Too many people are looking for everything in one amp, and it's often not possible. It's all a compromise, and the only way to avoid compromise is to own several different amps for different purposes. Plenty of guys use two amps live, one for dirty and one for clean, and switch between the two. It all comes down to how far you'll go to get the tone in your head I guess!

All that said, something big and clean with pelnty of headroom and a more neutral voicing will be a much better platform for pedals than any modern Orange.
I agree with this, I'd suggest looking into maybe a Carvin x100B. Fits that description, sounds good, very cheap for a tube amp and the features you get.
Gunnar

Nork
Orange Master

Post by Nork » Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:57 pm

Bensen wrote: I don't think I would find all of that in a single amp
i agree with this as well. i run my TT pretty clean and run a box of rock, but that's because i don't have amp that would run clean. i'd love a DR clone or something for cleans.
--Nick

Parker Nitefly SA -> TC PolyTune -> OLER Box ->Timmy -> MP SHOD -> Eventide TimeFactor/e3 -> Orange TT -> Avatar 112 (Weber 1225)

Le Chat Noir
Duke of Orange

Post by Le Chat Noir » Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:38 pm

Sooner wrote:
timme_v wrote: Anything you can suggest would be good..
I suggest you bump the thread up regularly and hopefully someone here on the forum will make you a decent offer for it... :D
Why do you only come on here to be cynical these days? :roll:
Teddy
I play an AD30TC

timme_v
Orange Hero

Post by timme_v » Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:13 pm

Thanks for all the help guys, I think I've also been looking around because my band style has slowly been changing.. The reason I purchased the Orange in the first place is because I used to play heavier rhythm parts (drop c), but am now finding myself playing in standard again with a bit of OD on the clean channel.

I will definitely try the EQ suggested on the clean channel, at the moment the treble sits at about 1, and the bass about 11.

I've also been going through a few threads here and read that others have a similar problem. It could be just my OD pedal that doesn't like my amp. I'm using an OCD, which is a great pedal but if it doesn't suit I'm happy to sell. My fuzz factory sounds amazing through the RV50.

I might be looking for too much in one amp, and if I do have to compromise with the way my band is going I was thinking of saving alot of cash and A/Bing it with a twin reverb. Simply because there is something about the orange that makes me love it.

BrianGT
Duke of Orange

Post by BrianGT » Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:07 pm

I will definitely try the EQ suggested on the clean channel, at the moment the treble sits at about 1, and the bass about 11.
You know, I had a feeling that the setting would be somewhere around that.
Which seems logical.......keeping the bass low to brighten it up etc. but you are actually really emphasising the mids at those settings.

Just crank both bass and treble and the mids will disappear....you won't have too much bass if you are careful because you have now given the bass frequencies their "own space"........before they were "attached to the mids" so it was one deep bass/mid sound.
Hard to describe in words but you will hear it!
Good luck! :wink:
BrianGT