Is this one rare?

Maybe someone can help you date your Orange Amplifier?

Moderator: bclaire

captaingreer

Is this one rare?

Post by captaingreer » Fri Sep 25, 2009 6:46 pm

My Orange is not orange, it is black tolex with two thin maybe gold color pin stipes wrapping it long ways parrellel to each other 2 inches from the edge (front) and two inches from the edge (back) and 5.25 inches apart, and it has 2 numbers on it. One is imprinted on a metal plate 3 inches by 2.75 inches nailed to the back with 4 nails one in each corner in the middle saying: Orange, London, Amplifier, Warning High Voltage, #62006, Made in England. The other number is also in the back but imprinted in the metal chassis just to the right of (as you face the back) the preamp/slave, output (which is pretty much in the center) found amongst this wording: London England, then below that a stick on label: Kingfisher Music Company, 20 Kings Rd.,Fleet, Tel: Fleet 21210, and then below that sticker in the metal chssis: Model No 11514. I'm thinking because of the color this is rare, but I don't really have a clue

Orphin
Duke of Orange

Re: Is this one rare?

Post by Orphin » Sat Sep 26, 2009 7:22 pm

You know, a picture says more than a thousand words.. :wink:
David
I'm speaking out of my a$$. Yours might differ.

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Sat Sep 26, 2009 7:37 pm

Orange did make black Oranges back in the day and even today. But you don't mention the all-important model number and like Orphin said, pictures would help immensely...

captaingreer

Post by captaingreer » Sat Sep 26, 2009 7:52 pm

The model # is OR120, and I'm right with you about pics but the site won't let me post pics.

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Sat Sep 26, 2009 9:45 pm

You have to host them on another site and put the url for the picture in the Img tag above...

you can insert a picture from photobucket or even facebook

captaingreer

Post by captaingreer » Fri Oct 23, 2009 6:18 pm

Here are some pics (I hope).
I'm not a real computer genius.

http://s567.photobucket.com/albums/ss11 ... MG0836.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

liason21
Tiny Terror

Post by liason21 » Fri Oct 23, 2009 7:31 pm

wow! cool looking amp! very similar to mine...mine is orange. ha! and mine has a detachable power cord. i'm actually questioning if that black tolex is original. the only reason i say that is beacuse of the rubber feet on the bottom, never seen an orange amp of that age that had those. all the old orange amps i've seen have the wooden skis on the bottom. but what do i know! enjoy your amp, man!! thanks for sharing!
Orange OR120
Tascam 48
Gibson Melody Maker
Korg EX 800
Univox U65RD
Akai 1710w
http://www.myspace.com/dannygloves" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

captaingreer

Post by captaingreer » Fri Oct 23, 2009 7:43 pm

Hi liason21, I'm pretty sure the black tolex is original but the rubber feet are a mod. that I did w/ out defacing at all, the amp was vibrating off the cab when I would play loud. I used the bolts that hold the chasis to the wood frame... put the "skis" in a safe place w/ original hardware. I'm hoping with these pics and the serial #11514 some one can help me date this baby.
Oranges are sweet, especially the old ones.

http://s567.photobucket.com/albums/ss11 ... g&newest=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

liason21
Tiny Terror

Post by liason21 » Fri Oct 23, 2009 7:56 pm

ah ha! that's actually a pretty good idea. i'm having the same problem with the amp vibrating when it's really cranked. it's cool you were able to put those rubber feet on without having to drill new holes, too! i think you just sparked my next project! thanks!
Orange OR120
Tascam 48
Gibson Melody Maker
Korg EX 800
Univox U65RD
Akai 1710w
http://www.myspace.com/dannygloves" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

liason21
Tiny Terror

Post by liason21 » Fri Oct 23, 2009 8:09 pm

oh! and as for dating it this link might be some help: http://users.telenet.be/orangefg/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Orange OR120
Tascam 48
Gibson Melody Maker
Korg EX 800
Univox U65RD
Akai 1710w

captaingreer

Post by captaingreer » Fri Oct 23, 2009 8:19 pm

Thank you for the tip, liason21.

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Fri Oct 23, 2009 8:45 pm

liason21 wrote:ah ha! that's actually a pretty good idea. i'm having the same problem with the amp vibrating when it's really cranked. it's cool you were able to put those rubber feet on without having to drill new holes, too! i think you just sparked my next project! thanks!
My solution to that problem (and to excess valve microphonics using the amp for bass) was even simpler. Don't remove the skids. Just use a bit of 'Astroturf' type doormat between the amp and cab... :shock:

Hey, don't knock it. Works a treat on both counts! :D

Andy.

PS. I've always really liked black Oranges...
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

captaingreer

Post by captaingreer » Fri Oct 23, 2009 8:54 pm

So true a.hun, was doing that for years, but needed the rubber feet to raise the amp up a little so it would set evenly on top of another head.

captaingreer

Post by captaingreer » Fri Oct 23, 2009 9:45 pm

I'm feeling pretty good about myself, since I figured out how to post a picture (with a.hun's help).
Here is my Orange (which is really black tolex).
Please, if someone can tell me:

1.) How old is it?
2.) What (technically) does the F.A.C. knob do?
3.) what sgnificance does the number on the name plate in the back have (on mine you can see it is 62006?

And yes those are rubber feet I put on but I had nothing to do with the hole drilled in the back where someone tried to install a master volume. The rubber feet job does not alter the original, and I have saved the wood skis and original hardware.

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Sat Oct 24, 2009 8:39 am

captaingreer wrote:I'm feeling pretty good about myself, since I figured out how to post a picture (with a.hun's help).
Here is my Orange (which is really black tolex).
Please, if someone can tell me:

1.) How old is it?
2.) What (technically) does the F.A.C. knob do?
3.) what sgnificance does the number on the name plate in the back have (on mine you can see it is 62006?

And yes those are rubber feet I put on but I had nothing to do with the hole drilled in the back where someone tried to install a master volume. The rubber feet job does not alter the original, and I have saved the wood skis and original hardware.
1. From the 'Orange Amps Timeline page
(http://www.geocities.com/diytech_ct//timeline.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)
it looks to be from 1974.

2. It is a 6 position switch with a network of capacitors attached which progressively cuts more of the bass frequencies usually the further clockwise you set it. Simply put it gives you 6 different starting points for setting your sound. Explained really well, along with the other old Orange tone controls, by another of our members Nick, (fiveightandten) in a couple of great articles here:
http://www.geocities.com/diytech_ct/orange.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

3. Really don't know if anyone has ever quite worked that one out. We tend to go with the chassis serial numbers. No idea of the significance of the head box numbers - if any.
FWIW my '78 OR120 has a ser no. 015637 and back plate no. 63896.

Its a shame someone took a drill to the back panel, but while collectors don't like that sort of irreversible mod it won't affect the performance of your amp. That is down to the condition of the electronics inside.

The black tolex looks like the original type to me. They were more unusual, but not so rare as to make them more valuable then Orange tolex ones. I do like the look though. Nice amp! 8)

Ususal advice with old ORs is to have them thoroughly checked over by a good tech. Preferably one who knows old Oranges and won't just treat them as old Marshalls because there are some real differences from what you'd expect as far as voltages and component values are concerned. Most important things are to check the condition of the big electrolytic filter capacitors and replace them if needed. And do use the very best power valves you can grab as these amps go through cheap ones like there is no tomorrow. Properly tuned with good sturdy valves though these can be remarkably reliable amps.

Andy.
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!