something cool happened to me

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

zombie youth revolt
Orange Expert

something cool happened to me

Post by zombie youth revolt » Fri Sep 18, 2009 2:29 pm

few days ago i got a call from my good friend, it turned out that he's moving to Brazil for at least a year and then he asked me if i want his guitar couse the amount of luggage he can take with him is very limited and there is no room for a guitar plus he's not been playing it a lot anyway - ofcourse i said "yes" and he gave it to me for free :D

its nothing spectacular, its just an Epiphone Standard Plus ( pups changed to Wilkinson PAFs, tuners are Grovers ) but this is still one of the coolest gifts i ever got.

few words about the guitar : i expected it to be crappy chinese guitar but to my suprise its not bad at all. It looks great ( flame top looks killer imho ), plays nice, has great sustain and its just solid construction. All the woods seems to be of decent quality ( body is two piece solid mahogany and i have seen low end gibsons made with 3-4 pieces ), grovers keep it in tune well, fretwork is good, wilkinson pups are ok ( not the best but better than stock epi pups )

here are some pics

Last edited by zombie youth revolt on Fri Sep 18, 2009 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ex orange user :
Orange AD30R
Orange Rocker 30H
Orange Tiny Terror

current rig :
ESP LTD EC400VF
Mesa Boogie DC3
T-Rex Mudhoney
Budda Wah

Drdos
Orange Master

Re: something cool happened to me

Post by Drdos » Fri Sep 18, 2009 2:36 pm

That is A Sweeeeeeet deal! Congrats...
Vince

kmlabs
Orange Expert

Post by kmlabs » Fri Sep 18, 2009 3:04 pm

Very nice!
Kerry

Too much gain is... just about enough

Le Chat Noir
Duke of Orange

Post by Le Chat Noir » Fri Sep 18, 2009 3:41 pm

Wow, I wish some of my friends would leave the country and give me all their gear :mrgreen:

Hehe, seriously though, that's a really nice gesture from your friend - stories like this make me feel all warm inside ;)

Hope you have lots of fun with the guitar, I'm sure the sentimental value will help you to bond with it, it's always great when an instrument has a back story and means something to you more than just being a tool!
Teddy
The Blackwater Rebellion: 2-piece alt rock duo http://theblackwaterrebellion.bandcamp.com/
I play an AD30TC

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:55 pm

nice! beautiful wood and finish!

howdy-doo
Orange Master

Post by howdy-doo » Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:58 pm

really nice guitar, its one of the best finishes i've seen on an epi lp, and thats a really nice gesture from your friend
Liam

BrianGT
Duke of Orange

Post by BrianGT » Fri Sep 18, 2009 10:01 pm

That's a beautiful guitar!

I hope you get a lot of pleasure from it! 8)
BrianGT
http://www.myspace.com/gentlethunderband" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

CD9266
Orange Master

Post by CD9266 » Fri Sep 18, 2009 10:56 pm

Epiphone Les Paul Standards are awesome and just as good as it's Gibson counterpart. Take good care of it and it will give you back everything you want and more. Extremely versatile. May it bring you many great ideas and sounds in the coming years.
http://www.reverbnation.com/coreydiller" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sunset Justice - Now on iTunes!

otek
Rocker

Post by otek » Sat Sep 19, 2009 12:10 am

CD9266 wrote:Epiphone Les Paul Standards are awesome and just as good as it's Gibson counterpart.
Perhaps I wouldn't go that far, but they are certainly very decent guitars, especially if one replaces the stock pickups.

And yes that's a nice bookmatch! :D

otek

CD9266
Orange Master

Post by CD9266 » Sat Sep 19, 2009 3:34 am

Okay I'll try not to argue but take an Epiphone Les Paul Standard, properly set it up (nut, bridge, strings, truss, the works) and replace the stock pickups with better pickups and then compare it to a Gibson Les Paul Standard, chances are it'll play the same, if not better and sound just as good than the Gibby.

Oh and you'll save about 1200 bucks or more...
http://www.reverbnation.com/coreydiller" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sunset Justice - Now on iTunes!