Texas Special pups

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

timme_v
Orange Hero

Texas Special pups

Post by timme_v » Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:31 am

For tele..

How do these sound? More importantly to me, are they somewhat quiet for single coil pups?

I'm looking for something that can be punchy on a bit of gain on it.

Donnie Osmond
Tiny Terror

Post by Donnie Osmond » Mon Aug 10, 2009 12:55 pm

They sound good.

Quiet? No - you're taking a normal single coil pickup and adding more winds to it - i.e., more noise producing factors. Now - they're not bad if you're using them for bluesy type OD, but you ARE going to get more noise the more gain/distortion you hit them with. There are plenty of good sounding noiseless options these days if that's what you need.

I play a Tele in a band that plays most of the time with heavy thick distortion. I love my Tele - so in went a set of DiMarzio Area T's. They're voiced closer to vintage Tele pickups - but dead quiet (you'll need a non-ferrous bridge if you go that route though - otherwise you will get a different kind of noise problem - magnetic interference with the hum canceling - but I digress.).

Anyways - the TS are good pickups - the real question is - are they too noisy or not for your application?

timme_v
Orange Hero

Post by timme_v » Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:33 pm

Donnie Osmond wrote:They sound good.

Quiet? No - you're taking a normal single coil pickup and adding more winds to it - i.e., more noise producing factors. Now - they're not bad if you're using them for bluesy type OD, but you ARE going to get more noise the more gain/distortion you hit them with. There are plenty of good sounding noiseless options these days if that's what you need.

I play a Tele in a band that plays most of the time with heavy thick distortion. I love my Tele - so in went a set of DiMarzio Area T's. They're voiced closer to vintage Tele pickups - but dead quiet (you'll need a non-ferrous bridge if you go that route though - otherwise you will get a different kind of noise problem - magnetic interference with the hum canceling - but I digress.).

Anyways - the TS are good pickups - the real question is - are they too noisy or not for your application?
I do play with some thick distortion.. Not to the metal extent, but its pretty 'gainy'. I also love tele's and would love a quiet one haha. I was thinking about SD hot rails as well.

Donnie Osmond
Tiny Terror

Post by Donnie Osmond » Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:45 pm

timme_v wrote: I do play with some thick distortion.. Not to the metal extent, but its pretty 'gainy'. I also love tele's and would love a quiet one haha. I was thinking about SD hot rails as well.
Depends too, on what amp you're playing through. I have the RV50 - so I like having the single coil tone with all that thick distortion. Using the neck pickup on an LP - well, it does sound muddy on the RV in the neck position - and it's missing some note definition that I like on the bridge pickup. HOWEVER, those issues can be alleviated by turning down the gain and adjusting the EQ - I just don't like that as much as pushing the preamp harder in the RV - so I go with classic single coil voicing. I have played a strat with a DiMarzio Tone Zone in the bridge which sounded just excellent into the hard driven RV. There's a lot of trying this and that to find what works best for you.

rrrajo
Lord of Orange

Post by rrrajo » Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:29 am

What I really like about the Texas Sp's is that they sound really good with volume and tones on about 6-7. They are relatively quiet this way, but still have a lot of meat left. For solos, I would roll up the volume , and the tone when necessary. But, if you are going to stand there with the controls on 10 and the amp pinned.....then the answer is yes, they will be noisy.

I also like the Quarter Pounders. Used the same way. I slighly like the 1/4's better.
Jimy...HM#5
--------------------