OT: Moving Overseas EDIT: going 14th Jan!

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Knuckle Bones
Orange Master

Post by Knuckle Bones » Fri Aug 07, 2009 3:07 pm

Drdos wrote:
Knuckle Bones wrote:
zombie youth revolt wrote:Bink, this is what you gonna do after work ;)

i won't deny that this happens in Texas....but that's the north end of the state in Arlington (Dallas area) which is the other armpit of Texas.
1st time he sees the Dallas Cowboy Cheerleaders and all will be Fine! :shock:
haha...that's another misconception. Not all of us are obsessed with the Dallas Cowboys...in fact, I can't stand watching football at all!
“It's amazing what new strings and a cold beer can do for your toneâ€

zombie youth revolt
Orange Expert

Post by zombie youth revolt » Fri Aug 07, 2009 3:09 pm

haha life is so unfair - i'd love to go to the cowboys game

unfortunately when i was in texas it was off season and far from dallas ( san antonio )
ex orange user :
Orange AD30R
Orange Rocker 30H
Orange Tiny Terror

current rig :
ESP LTD EC400VF
Mesa Boogie DC3
T-Rex Mudhoney
Budda Wah

Drdos
Orange Master

Post by Drdos » Fri Aug 07, 2009 3:10 pm

HA you know what's gonna be Incredible Ironic for this Brit is that he's gonna move from a country that poo poo's the ownership of guns, and basically rips the balls out of any kind of manhood, and moving to a city where they give hand guns out in the Happy Meals at the Micky D's, and testosterone is pumped into the air! :D :D :D :D
Last edited by Drdos on Fri Aug 07, 2009 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vince

Drdos
Orange Master

Post by Drdos » Fri Aug 07, 2009 3:11 pm

Knuckle Bones wrote:
Drdos wrote:
Knuckle Bones wrote: i won't deny that this happens in Texas....but that's the north end of the state in Arlington (Dallas area) which is the other armpit of Texas.
1st time he sees the Dallas Cowboy Cheerleaders and all will be Fine! :shock:
haha...that's another misconception. Not all of us are obsessed with the Dallas Cowboys...in fact, I can't stand watching football at all!
Who was talking about the Sh!t football team. I was referencing the CHEERLEADERS! :D
Vince

Bink
Orange Master

Re: OT: Moving Overseas

Post by Bink » Fri Aug 07, 2009 3:20 pm

Knuckle Bones wrote:
Bink wrote:.......it could be hard to adapt to a different country and way of life.
Son, you better not be bad talkin' Texas! :wink:
Not at all! It's generally just quite different. We WILL struggle with the summer temp intitially!! We think 25 degrees C is hot here! :)
Chris
PRS CU22
Present: TT, PPC 112 (Heritage G12M)
Past: AD15
Image Image

Bink
Orange Master

Post by Bink » Fri Aug 07, 2009 3:38 pm

zombie youth revolt wrote:Bink, this is what you gonna do after work ;)

I do that anyway! :shock:
Chris
PRS CU22
Image Image

nguideau
Orange Master

Post by nguideau » Fri Aug 07, 2009 3:51 pm

Bink, I think you've got it worked out good, then. I haven't looked into (because I haven't had to), but I HAVE looked into moving to the U.K. as a U.S. citizen, and I don't think there's much worry about getting your fiance over -- I think it's harder to get someone into the U.K. than it is into the U.S.!

I understand you wanting to have your children back in the U.K. Obviously, if that's been your true home, it makes perfect sense. But with that said, it sounds like your arrangement is on solid enough ground that if you and your better half end up really liking the States and choose to settle, that will be an option.

And hey, that's what it's all about, having both options and being able to make the choice when it's necessary. :)
- Nathan

Knuckle Bones
Orange Master

Post by Knuckle Bones » Fri Aug 07, 2009 3:52 pm

Drdos wrote:HA you know what's gonna be Incredible Ironic for thie Brit is that he's gonna move from a country that poo poo's the ownership of guns, and basically rips the balls out of any kind of manhood, and moving to a city where they give hand guns out in the Happy Meals at the Micky D's, and testosterone is pumped into the air! :D :D :D :D
HEHE....true, true...but you sure don't hear about shoot outs and general mayhem because we can carry a concealed weapon....in fact...there's probably less because of that.

For the record I do own guns...and everyone in my family does...and my wife won a World Cup gold medal in Milan, Italy for sharp shooting back in '94. My family hunts and eats what they shoot...and if someone breaks into our homes we'll shoot them dead. So far nobody has broken in.

Knuckle Bones
Orange Master

Post by Knuckle Bones » Fri Aug 07, 2009 4:28 pm

and for good measure...a Texan joke:

Only a Texas man can make you feel like a woman.

A plane passed through a severe storm. The turbulence was awful, and things went from bad to worse when one wing was struck by lightning.

One woman lost it completely. She stood up in the front of the plane and screamed, "I'm too young to die," she cried. Then she yelled, "If I'm going to die, I want my last minutes on earth to be memorable! Is there anyone on this plane who can make me feel like a WOMAN?"

For a moment, there was silence. Everyone stared at the desperate woman in the front of the plane. Then a man from Texas stood up in the rear of the plane.

He was handsome, tall, well built, with dark brown hair and hazel eyes.

Slowly, he started to walk up the aisle, unbuttoning his shirt as he went, one button at a time. No one moved. He removed his shirt. Muscles rippled across his chest. She gasped... Then, he spoke...

"Iron this -- and then get me a beer."

Drdos
Orange Master

Post by Drdos » Fri Aug 07, 2009 4:34 pm

Knuckle Bones wrote:

"Iron this -- and then get me a beer."
AHAHAHAHA! yah Baby, and then make me some grub!
Vince

zombie youth revolt
Orange Expert

Post by zombie youth revolt » Fri Aug 07, 2009 6:57 pm

Bink, if you finacee is hesitant about moving to texas you can always show her this :D ( notice the cool t-shirt )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFJjaj7pXsA
ex orange user :
Orange AD30R
Orange Rocker 30H
Orange Tiny Terror

current rig :
ESP LTD EC400VF
Mesa Boogie DC3
T-Rex Mudhoney
Budda Wah

joshua

Post by joshua » Sat Aug 08, 2009 7:27 pm

though it's already been mentioned, the heat and humidity are awful. I've lived here for the whole 20 too.

too bad your opportunity isn't austin based :)

Brutalitarian Supremacy
Rocker

Post by Brutalitarian Supremacy » Sun Aug 09, 2009 3:05 am

us Yankees always say they only breed steers & queers in Texas...bet none of ya have horns!!!! ....joking of course :wink:
Egoism is the very essence of a noble soul...Friedrich Nietzsche

http://www.myspace.com/wearevarulvorden

xenious
Orange Hero

Post by xenious » Sun Aug 09, 2009 3:47 am

You need three things:
1) Air conditioning
2) Car
3) Handgun

If you do not have these things you will be issued them at the border once arriving in Texas.

haha

The good news is Houston hasn't really been hit by the down economy a lot. The housing market is cheap, cost of living is reasonable. Just live close to where you work or your commute and gas bill will be uncomfortable.

Oh and to buy anything other than a TT you might have to special order.
-Xen
"Ran into a juke joint when I heard a guitar scream. The notes were turning blue. I was dazing in a dream."

OR50, Vox AC4
LP Standard Faded, JEM, ES-335
Custom King Bee relic tele /w TV Jones
Reverse Flying V
Epi EL-00

Bink
Orange Master

Post by Bink » Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:01 pm

Well it's all starting to gather pace a bit now!

Fiancee has agreed to come, and is happy despite the fact she probably won't be able to work there at least initially.

Have had preliminary talks with employer and we all appear to be on the same track so it's a case of checking out the visa options and paperwork now to get an indication of timings...!

They've confirmed we'll both be fully covered on medical, vision and dental whilst out there, the rest of the negotiations have been left until visa status has been verified but we're all in the same ballpark areas which is good.

Wow, really kinda scary but exciting. :shock: :D
Chris
PRS CU22
Image Image