Favorite Wah?

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

jamison162
Orange Master

Favorite Wah?

Post by jamison162 » Tue Aug 04, 2009 2:00 pm

List the Wah's you've owned/tried with #1 at the top and why you like it over the others.

For me, Area 51 just sounds more musical than any of the others, not too bright or dark very vocal. I still want to try a Teese though.

Have only tried:
Crybaby
Crybaby Classic
Budda Wah

irish_admiral
Prince of Orange

Post by irish_admiral » Tue Aug 04, 2009 2:30 pm

Tried a Crybaby and a Vox... the CB was a bit sharp for me, but the Vox sits nicely. Would like to have a go with the Teese and the Fulltone.
Joe

G(sus) saves

Orange AD15, Matamp 1224, Fender 'JD' Tele, G&L ASAT, Duesenberg Starplayer TV, Eggle Kanuga, Avalon D25, Warwick FNA Jazzman, Eden Nemesis / Bergantino EX112S, Eastman MD305 & other stuff...

Orphin
Duke of Orange

Post by Orphin » Tue Aug 04, 2009 2:40 pm

I've tried two wah that I like better than others. My RMC picture wah and the Jimi Hendrix Cry baby wah. They sound different from eachother but they both have extended sweep which I like. This takes a little more skills to use though, but I think it's worth the extra practice.

I think the Budda wah is a great wah if you want a wah that standard sounding. Great build.

The wah a dislike the most is the Fulltone Clyde Deluxe. The two extra sweep configuration aren't usable in a mix. It's cr@p.
The normal Clyde setting has a very narrow sweep. So narrow that it almost doesn't sound like a wah-wah effect. Nothing for me. However the Clyde is probably the most robust wah pedal ever made. I'd like to have my RMC wah in a Fulletone housing. :)
David
I'm speaking out of my a$$. Yours might differ.

blackcloud45
Orange Master

Post by blackcloud45 » Tue Aug 04, 2009 2:45 pm

I have a coupla' Crybaby's from the 80's. One has regular switchcraft jacks and the other has pcb mounted jacks (I'm currently using this one). To my ears, these wahs sound good, but when I try the modern $70.00 Crybaby equivalent I am disappointed. These sound more like the midgrade $100-ish ones I guess.

I have tried pretty much the whole Dunlop line minus the EVH one. I have the EVH Phaser and Flanger and they are great but I have to question the wah. I mean EVH isn't really known for his wah use IMO.I do like the led status light on that one though.

The Vox they used to have without the 9V jack is very smooth as well. Add a retro Area 51 jack / fuzz buffer (I did this for a friend of mine and it worked great) and you are well on your way.

The Jimi Hendrix Dunlop is nice, very smooth and vocal. I recently put an Area 51 pot and switch in my wah and it was really smooth. The breakover was a little abrupt, but I got used to it. I have some issue with it though where when it's on and I rock it it'll cut in and out? I bought a Dunlop Hot Potz II just to see if it'll fix it. Will advise. I chose that one as it looked like it was sealed pretty good. I have had problems w/ scratchy pots since I started playing guitar 20+ yrs ago.

I was really intrigued w/ the Teese Picture wah demo I saw but unfortunately don't have the cash right now (because of my current dirt pedal quest partially). If the Hot Potz doesn't work I'll probably get the Teese. I have a friend who had the Teese and the Area 51 and he sold the Teese because he favored the Area 51.

I've tried the Morley stuff. I like the concept and they seem robust, but the sweep on them gives me pulled hamstrings!

One of the best things I ever did to my Crybaby was take off the rubber bumpers. Yes, I could break it, but I'm pretty careful and it really makes switching on and off a breeze.

My final advice on wahs is similar to my advice on Les Pauls: Play a lt of them because they are all different creatures. 1 out of 20 will play / sound like what you hear in your head.

http://hypersoulrocks.com/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.myspace.com/lovea45" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Wired
Orange Master

Post by Wired » Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:10 pm

The only pedal that has stayed on my pedal board since I really started getting serious about guitar 10 years ago is my wah...

The Vox V847 Union Jack wah. The same as a regular V847, but with Union Jacks all over it...

The thing is perfect, I can't ask for anything more or less from it. I've had crybabies and the Roland V-wah...but the Vox UJ wah is the one for me.
-LK
RV50, Vox AC30, Gibson LP Trad '14, Gibson ES-335 '04, PRS Cu24 '10, Fender Tele Pro, Gretsch Powerjet

OrangeJuicer
Orange Hero

Post by OrangeJuicer » Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:15 pm

I tried severals Wahs (Morleys, CryBabies, Vox..) and the search ended with a Morley Tremonti Wah and an old Vox 847 Wah (maybe made in the 80ies) which is equiped with a Castledine Circuitboard.

I use the Tremonti for higher Gain Sounds and the Vox for smooth jams.
"In the abundance of water, the fool is thirsty"

corky newman
Orange Master

Post by corky newman » Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:18 pm

I have two in the studio...
a 1960's Vox...thats falling apart..
and a modded 1982 dunlop crybaby....

I love them both.....they are big tone suckers, but I only use them in the studio...

Drdos
Orange Master

Post by Drdos » Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:03 pm

I've used a CB in the past and I now use a Ibanez Weeping Demon. The WD adds too much noise for my liking, but the controls are a plus on this unit.
Last edited by Drdos on Wed Aug 05, 2009 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vince

Van Cleef
Orange Master

Post by Van Cleef » Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:31 am

v847 for me
LIKE SPACE ROCK? = VAN CLEEF @ BANDCAMP http://vancleef.bandcamp.com/

Wendigo
Orange Master

Post by Wendigo » Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:38 am

I have the weeping demon from ibanez which I can't fault....but for me the best sound is still the original crybaby from way back when.

CD9266
Orange Master

Post by CD9266 » Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:46 am

Van Cleef wrote:v847 for me
Props buddy.

I've owned:
The wahs that came in my Vox Tonelab SE (v847, v848)
Morley Steve Vai Bad Horsie 2 Contour wah
BBE Wah

Have played:
Original CryBaby
Ibanez Weeping Demon

Best wah for me that I liked was a v847 or 848 for my leads.
http://www.reverbnation.com/coreydiller" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sunset Justice - Now on iTunes!

dpote

Post by dpote » Wed Aug 05, 2009 5:43 am

I've only owned three wah pedals.
The first was a Dunlop my Mom bought for me in 1985, two hours before I had an audition.
The second was a Thomas Organ Crybaby I bought from Charlie Mayer in San Antonio, TX sometime in the late '80s.
The third, and so far the best is a Morley Power Wah Fuzz I bought in a pawn shop a few months ago. The sweep of this thing is great. Everything from "Phantom Lord" to "Rooster" on the big end to "White Room" and "Voodoo Chile (Slight Return)" on the skinny end.
I don't remember what happened to the first wah.
The Thomas Organ I sold for a grip of cash on the 'bay.
The Morley is being set in concrete as part of my headstone when I die. The other part being the '82 Fender Super Champ.

Dave

zombie youth revolt
Orange Expert

Post by zombie youth revolt » Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:46 pm

i only played few wah pedals - stock and modded crybaby, vox v847, van halen wah, slash wah - i really liked van halen crybaby and vox v847

but just a minute ago i bought this :) i hope that this will be my new fav wah and imho its the besst looking wah on the market - purple and chrome, you cant beat that ! cant wait to play it

ex orange user :
Orange AD30R
Orange Rocker 30H
Orange Tiny Terror

current rig :
ESP LTD EC400VF
Mesa Boogie DC3
T-Rex Mudhoney
Budda Wah

blackcloud45
Orange Master

Post by blackcloud45 » Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:14 pm

Thinking of getting a Vox V847 now.

http://hypersoulrocks.com/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.myspace.com/lovea45" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thinline_slim
Orange Master

Post by Thinline_slim » Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:18 pm

Owned 2 Crybabies way back when and they both started being pretty noisy after I had them for about a year.

Then I bought a Budda Wah and I've never been wah shopping again. That was 10 years ago.
Jake
OrangePaul wrote:Ok gitar lead to you Jake :D
"One of the 400"

http://www.purevolume.com/JakeMcallasterBand/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;