New Jazzmaster!

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

guitarmy50
Orange Expert

New Jazzmaster!

Post by guitarmy50 » Tue Jul 21, 2009 2:11 am

So I bit the bullet and finally bought a Jazzmaster. Couldn't quite stretch the budget for the '62 reissue, so I went with a nice MIJ one (and I love matching headstocks). I know these have strat pickups so I'm going to order some Novak's to put in, and replace the pots. I was also planning on sticking a mustang bridge on it, setting it up for 11's, and maybe replacing the nut (I think they're plastic, but I'll give it a few days before I decide). Any suggestions as to anything else that should be done? Or ideas for other pickups?

This isn't my exact one, but it's this color (except slightly darker in person):

Feel free to post more Jazzmaster pictures/love.

MSP
Orange Master

Post by MSP » Tue Jul 21, 2009 2:43 am

Beautiful! Where did you get it? I love my CIJ Jazzmaster.
http://www.myspace.com/sleuthband" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

guitarmy50
Orange Expert

Post by guitarmy50 » Tue Jul 21, 2009 3:45 am

I bought it off eBay a few days ago. My only gripe about the Jazzmaster is I wish they made them with a different neck radius. The Classic Player's have 9.5, but I've never played one that was more than decent.

Pacemaker
Orange Expert

Post by Pacemaker » Tue Jul 21, 2009 4:22 am

AWESOME! I used to have a MIJ Jazzmaster that is the ONE piece of gear I regret selling (I was, like, 17 and it had problems beyond my means, before I knew what to do, etc.).

One suggestion would be to play it and get to know it before you go ahead and do all of your planned alterations. JUST IN CASE.

Otherwise, that is a BEAUTIFUL guitar you've gotten yourself. Enjoy it!

mikeymike
Tiny Terror

Post by mikeymike » Tue Jul 21, 2009 7:15 am

I would get a buzz stop first before changing the bridge. I thought about changing the to a mustang's bridge, but I don't have as many issues with the strings with the buzz stop. Jazzmasters are kind of "plonky" sounding guitars and the buzz stop kind of reduces that, but even with a buzz stop it sounds "plonkier" than any other guitar.

_Craig_
Orange Hero

Post by _Craig_ » Tue Jul 21, 2009 2:29 pm

Wow, thats a nice looking guitar. Always good to see another member join the Jazzmaster family.

I agree with what Mike said, they do have quite a unique sound...which i think people either love or hate. Personally i love mine though. Going into my Ad30 it's nice and crunchy on the bridge...flick it to the middle position and i get the nicest thick and rounded tone.

Such a versatile guitar and a real workhorse....mine is really starting to look a bit sorry for itself now though...i just cant put the thing down. Ill try and post up some pics later on.

Craig
'94 Standard Telecaster. Rickenbacker 4003. Orange AD30R. Ashdown 550 Touring.

Van Cleef
Orange Master

Post by Van Cleef » Wed Jul 22, 2009 5:11 am

i love my mij jazzy - was my main gigging guitar for a good 12 months - i need to get some novaks in it too... gotta say my 71 les paul has knocked the jazzy back to backup guitar... but i wouldn't be without it eh
LIKE SPACE ROCK? = VAN CLEEF @ BANDCAMP http://vancleef.bandcamp.com/

Neiloler
Lord of Orange

Post by Neiloler » Wed Jul 22, 2009 6:32 am

That's a lovely color. Jazzmasters are one of the guitars where matching headstock looks really classy. :)

guitarmy50
Orange Expert

Post by guitarmy50 » Thu Jul 23, 2009 8:02 pm

It arrived yesterday! Great guitar so far, the neck feels pretty close to perfect and it balances really well. Also perfect for me soundwise, a little more "messy" and definitely has more of the "plonk" sound (which I dig).

And I agree, normally I hate matching headstocks...but the more I looked at the Jazzmaster ones, the more I decided mine had to have one ha.