Rockerverb 50 squeal

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

socksandnails
Tiny Terror

Post by socksandnails » Wed Apr 23, 2008 3:12 pm

I'm testing out a Rockerverb 50 for a few days to possibly replace my Rocker 30. So far, it's very impressive. It's got a much different tone. I would describe it as thicker, with a little more gain. The word creamy comes to mind. It sounded huge through an Avatar open back 2x12 with vintage 30s.

As I've been testing it, I've run the master volume and gain flat out and get a high pitched feedback/squeal of the nastiest variety. If I back the master off to about three o'clock, it goes away. Also, if I back the gain off a little it will go away. The clean channel sounds fine run wide open. It only happens on the dirty channel, and with any of three guitars I own.

It's not a deal killer...I don't need to run either gain or master that hot. But is this normal behavior or do this amp have a faulty tube, etc.?

I wish I didn't like this amp so much, but it's got a better tone for me than the more affordable Rocker 30.

Blainy
Orange Master

Post by Blainy » Wed Apr 23, 2008 3:25 pm

I had the same problem with my Rocker 30. Very high-pitched whistle, not like harmonic feedback, just nasty. I've changed the preamp tubes (on Orange advice and at their expense) and it's sorted.

I know what you mean re desiring the other amp. I kinda wish I'd gone for the RV - the Rocker is good, but for me both the TT and the RV are better tone-wise.

Norrin Radd
Duke of Orange

Post by Norrin Radd » Wed Apr 23, 2008 3:26 pm

Uh, that's pretty normal......and really really loud!
Greg

Neiloler
Lord of Orange

Post by Neiloler » Wed Apr 23, 2008 3:28 pm

I'd look into changing out the tubes for something more rugged. Also, like you said, running the MV and the gain both at Max is insanity anyhow...;) I wouldn't have need for something that high at least.

Shakey
Tiny Terror

Post by Shakey » Wed Apr 23, 2008 3:48 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Norrin Radd</i>
<br />Uh, that's pretty normal......and really really loud!
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

lol!

What they say, perhaps change the tubes but I wouldn't be surprised by that with the volume and gain dimed!
'80 JMP 100w Master Volume (2203)
Orange PPC 212
Fender Telecaster 50's RI (MIJ)
Modded Fender Telecaster Deluxe aka "The Shakey-Caster"
http://www.telemodders.com/g_fraser.html

socksandnails
Tiny Terror

Post by socksandnails » Wed Apr 23, 2008 5:09 pm

Thanks, everyone. I might have to trade the R30 for the RV50. Moving on up.

Oh yeah, I tried the Thunderverb 50 out last night, too. That thing is something else. It's got some insanely low frequency tones. And the attenuator feature was impressive. The RV50 is a great guitar amplifier. The Thunderverb 50 is some other species...

sheedbg
Tiny Terror

Post by sheedbg » Wed Apr 23, 2008 6:04 pm

I have the RV50, and I get that squeal when I run the gain/master too too hot. I think is just the fact of this (and pretty much any) tube amplifier. The good thing is on this amp, if you can reach that squeal, you're probably too loud anyway !
Rockerverb 50
PPC 2X12
Parker Nitefly Mojo

thomasec

Post by thomasec » Sat Jun 13, 2009 2:33 am

Hey Guys, sorry to bump this thread, but I just bought a second hand Rockerverb, and I'm having some serious squealing issues when the gain is up past 3 o'clock.

I've tried three different guitars, a few different cables, and the problem persists.

Any ideas why this might be happening? This might be a stupid question, but are "tubes" and "valves" the same thing? I've swapped out the preamp tubes, and still nothing.

CD9266
Orange Master

Post by CD9266 » Sat Jun 13, 2009 2:37 am

Finally someone who has the EXACT same problem I've been having... If you find a cure (other than turning down the MV and Gain) then let me know...

As I said in the other topic, the weird part is that I get this whistle/squeal when my volume on my guitar is all the way down and my tuner mute is on and it's still annoying. I only run my gain at the max at 2 O'clock and my volume at 10 O'clock (11 at the most) and I still get this.
http://www.reverbnation.com/coreydiller" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sunset Justice - Now on iTunes!

Ddjembe Mutombo
Orange Master

Post by Ddjembe Mutombo » Sat Jun 13, 2009 2:41 am

past 3 on the rockerverb? your lead must sound like mud...

The high pitch squeal is a normal for a high gain tube amp to do with hot pickups. This was a huge problem for my 6100 even though i replaced the preamp tubes and all the jazz. My triamp has the same issue.
Monty

thomasec

Post by thomasec » Sat Jun 13, 2009 2:48 am

I'll try and post a soundclip tomorrow. I'm pretty sure that this is not "normal", even with a high gain amp like the rockerverb.

adamanteus
Orange Hero

Post by adamanteus » Sat Jun 13, 2009 5:08 am

CD9266 wrote:Finally someone who has the EXACT same problem I've been having... If you find a cure (other than turning down the MV and Gain) then let me know...

As I said in the other topic, the weird part is that I get this whistle/squeal when my volume on my guitar is all the way down and my tuner mute is on and it's still annoying. I only run my gain at the max at 2 O'clock and my volume at 10 O'clock (11 at the most) and I still get this.
that seems unusual to me man. i run my RV about the same at about 11 o clock on the MV and 2:30 on the gain. never had an issue. i've cranked both all the way too just for fun and not a whistle either.

blackcloud45
Orange Master

Post by blackcloud45 » Sat Jun 13, 2009 5:40 am

Aww man, I thought Shakey was back (till I checked the date). I really liked his Shakey tele...

http://hypersoulrocks.com/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.myspace.com/lovea45" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

adamanteus
Orange Hero

Post by adamanteus » Sat Jun 13, 2009 7:01 am

aw man i did not realize this thread was over a year old! oh well i still don't get a squeal.

Orphin
Duke of Orange

Post by Orphin » Sat Jun 13, 2009 9:14 am

I've noticed that an amp starts to squeel like a pig when you crank them if the bias is set too hot.
David
I'm speaking out of my a$$. Yours might differ.