Tiny Terror - METAL

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

guitartrond

Tiny Terror - METAL

Post by guitartrond » Mon May 25, 2009 7:06 pm

HI,

Hope someone can help me out here…

I wonder if the Tiny Terror combo can play METAL???

What are you guys using out there to get the Metal sound???

Is It enough with a boost pedal?

I see that Rob Chappers usees the MXR boost pedal on youtube playing metal.

Is it prefered with analog boost pedals since you use a tube amp?

I see someone turns down the gain on the amp and use distortion pedals, I cant see that be right because you dont use the tube distortion then….am I right or wrong here???

When it comes to effects like delay/reverb is it recommended with analog or digital, I got the Boss RE-5 and DD-7.

Guitars:
Fender strat HSS
Epi Les Paul custom

zombie youth revolt
Orange Expert

Post by zombie youth revolt » Mon May 25, 2009 7:43 pm

depends on what kind of metal tone do you want

heavy/oldschool metal tone - yes

thrash - maybe

modern hi gain - no
ex orange user :
Orange AD30R
Orange Rocker 30H
Orange Tiny Terror

current rig :
ESP LTD EC400VF
Mesa Boogie DC3
T-Rex Mudhoney
Budda Wah

Le Chat Noir
Duke of Orange

Re: Tiny Terror - METAL

Post by Le Chat Noir » Mon May 25, 2009 8:06 pm

guitartrond wrote: I see someone turns down the gain on the amp and use distortion pedals, I cant see that be right because you dont use the tube distortion then….am I right or wrong here???
This is a big topic and I'm really simplifying it, but I'll briefly try to explain.

first, an amp's natural power tube overdrive sound is generally considered desirable - but especially in the case of metal, it's not always what is required. There's a reason some metal guitarists still like solid state amps, but I'm not going to go into all that right now. You can find plenty of info on the web about the difference between tube and solid state amps.

Natural tube amp overdrive is a dynamic, organic sound, the result of the tubes being pushed harder. Some pedals are designed to push and colour the signal at the front end of the amp, adding extra gain to work the tubes harder, so in fact they are actually pushing the amp create tube overdrive rather than the pedal creating 'unnatural' distortion, per se. Pedals such as the ubiquitous Tubescreamer work this way, whilst colouring the tone in their own way - boost pedals such as the MXR Micro Amp are designed to increase the signal hitting the amp without colouring the amp's own tone too much.

Distortion (and fuzz) pedals work a bit differently - these are based around transistors and clipping diodes which both boost the signal and alter the waveform to create a distortion effec. However, they also by their nature push the front end of the amp and work the tubes harder too, so it's not a case of 'either' pedal distortion 'or' amp distortion.

There is no 'right' and 'wrong' in all this - the best thing is to experiment and see what works for you.
Teddy
The Blackwater Rebellion: 2-piece alt rock duo http://theblackwaterrebellion.bandcamp.com/
I play an AD30TC

guitartrond

Post by guitartrond » Mon May 25, 2009 8:58 pm

HI,

Thanks.....

The Tiny Terror is an excellent amp for all kind of music and i love it.

But I also like playing some metal as Metallica, Slayer, Trivium, Slipknot and need some more distortion.

shaun

Post by shaun » Tue May 26, 2009 2:39 am

i use an old EH Hot Tubes, EQ pedal and can get a great 70's -80's metal tone.
i am using a TT head, but i think the EQ pedal AND the choice of cab/speakers are the most important factors in getting a metal tone

crguti

Post by crguti » Fri May 29, 2009 1:35 pm

TT can play metal but it won't sound good. Period.

Drdos
Orange Master

Post by Drdos » Fri May 29, 2009 2:32 pm

crguti wrote:TT can play metal but it won't sound good. Period.
Play your TT through a 4x12 and then see what you think..
Vince

Fred the Shred
Rocker

Post by Fred the Shred » Fri May 29, 2009 4:58 pm

I'll be entering the studio briefly. Time permitting, I'll record some metal riffage and the like with my TT. It does metal alright. With a proper pedal in front of it, you can and WILL nail perfectly credible more "modern" metal tones as well.

Boy_Narf
Orange Master

Post by Boy_Narf » Fri May 29, 2009 6:12 pm

I am not sure what some of you guys are talking. I find that the TT usually has too much gain for me. If I am in a "Metal" mood I will just crank the volume, tone, and gain, knobs. I find that this is more then enough for metal. The more gain you use, the less note definition you get. Plus if your recording, just double track the high gain and it will sound like even more.

I would never ever consider running a OD/Booster pedal in front, It would just be way too much...

blacklight_uk
Orange Master

Post by blacklight_uk » Fri May 29, 2009 6:44 pm

It is my firm belief that any amp could do metal with a pedal designed for such a thing in front of it.

I'm pretty fed up of "amp 1 CANNOT DO METAL! EVER!"

Cannot is the wrong word entirely.

In my opinion, the TT wasn't built for metal (obviously) but you can get a perfectly good metal sound out of it with a pedal.
Josh

Le Chat Noir
Duke of Orange

Post by Le Chat Noir » Fri May 29, 2009 6:57 pm

This comes up a lot, and I can see both sides of the argument.

Any amp can be used for any style of music, with the right guitar, some pedals and the correct playing techniques. HOWEVER... there are definitely some specific tones you cannot get with certain amps.

When someone asks the question 'can I play metal on amp X', it's generally fair to assume they're asking 'can I get traditional metal tones from X amp'. Some people are looking for their own unique tone of course, which is very admirable - I personally hate the way genres become dominated by a certain tone and have never tried to emulate anyone else's sound. However, pioneers are usually too busy actually trying amps and finding out themselves to ask on a forum...

On the subject of 'can the TT do the tones we associate with modern metal'... I own an AD30TC and had a TT and in the grand scheme of things, I feel that both these amps have a strong midrange character with less bottom end than some amps and are also both 'looser' in character than some. I find it difficult to get a really tight, bottom endy palm mute sound on my AD30 regardless of how it's set up, what cab I use or what pedal I put in front of it, but I don't care because I don't play that kind of music. If you wind the AD30 or TT to full and then try to add more gain, they get incredibly muddy rather than being really high gain.

To summarise, you CAN play metal on a TT - but you might find the sound isn't the one you wanted or had in your head. I think someone who loves your stereotypical modern metal tones will not be happy with a TT or AD30.
Teddy
The Blackwater Rebellion: 2-piece alt rock duo http://theblackwaterrebellion.bandcamp.com/
I play an AD30TC

Drdos
Orange Master

Post by Drdos » Fri May 29, 2009 7:06 pm

Le Chat Noir wrote: To summarise, you CAN play metal on a TT - but you might find the sound isn't the one you wanted or had in your head. I think someone who loves your stereotypical modern metal tones will not be happy with a TT or AD30.
Yeah Just Buy A Marshall MG series 100watt Head and be done with it.... :D
Vince

Le Chat Noir
Duke of Orange

Post by Le Chat Noir » Fri May 29, 2009 7:08 pm

Drdos wrote:
Le Chat Noir wrote: To summarise, you CAN play metal on a TT - but you might find the sound isn't the one you wanted or had in your head. I think someone who loves your stereotypical modern metal tones will not be happy with a TT or AD30.
Yeah Just Buy A Marshall MG series 100watt Head and be done with it.... :D
I was thinking more a Marshall MOSFET... :mrgreen:
Teddy
I play an AD30TC

Kev
Rocker

Post by Kev » Sat May 30, 2009 1:53 pm

blacklight_uk wrote:It is my firm belief that any amp could do metal with a pedal designed for such a thing in front of it.

I'm pretty fed up of "amp 1 CANNOT DO METAL! EVER!"

Cannot is the wrong word entirely.
Well not really, cannot is exactly the right word. Unless the question was "can amp 1 do metal with a metal pedal in front of it?" which is a silly question. Why buy an amp used primarily for metal if it can't do metal by itself?

Taronja
Orange Master

Re: Tiny Terror - METAL

Post by Taronja » Sat May 30, 2009 3:18 pm

guitartrond wrote:HI,

Hope someone can help me out here…

I wonder if the Tiny Terror combo can play METAL???

What are you guys using out there to get the Metal sound???

Is It enough with a boost pedal?

I see that Rob Chappers usees the MXR boost pedal on youtube playing metal.

Is it prefered with analog boost pedals since you use a tube amp?

I see someone turns down the gain on the amp and use distortion pedals, I cant see that be right because you dont use the tube distortion then….am I right or wrong here???

When it comes to effects like delay/reverb is it recommended with analog or digital, I got the Boss RE-5 and DD-7.

Guitars:
Fender strat HSS
Epi Les Paul custom
Last edited by Taronja on Sun Jun 07, 2009 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Easter-B ... 6877535568
Member since 2005
Currently a non orange owner. Im actively in search of a vintage OR head... Feel free to send me any leads... :)