OT: Pedal Score!

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

onewaycpr
Orange Master

OT: Pedal Score!

Post by onewaycpr » Mon May 25, 2009 5:48 am

Tomorrow I am picking up a Boss DD-5 with the tap tempo foot switch and a Fulltone Fulldrive 2, both like new, for one total of $200.

Ive been wanting a DD-5 for a while now because a few years ago I got to meet one of my favorite bands Copeland and the guitarist went on and on about how he liked the DD-5 the best, and couldn't believe they stopped making it. The Fulldrive is a must to try out I think. Gotta see what all the talk on this pedal really is about. I call always re-sell it and get my money back quick.

I think at $100 each this is a great deal.

Comments on any of these pedals?

Mono
Orange Expert

Post by Mono » Mon May 25, 2009 11:31 am

yeah man great prices!! they go for way more over here in the UK.
the DD-5 was tempting me for a little bit, but I really don't see what it has over the DD-7, especially as the latter has a loop function...?
But i've heard excellent things about the quality and variety of the delay in both, I hope you enjoy it.
I just bought a Boss PS-3 from the bay for $180. It might sound a bit expensive but it isn't made anymore and is the most versatile pedal I have ever seen, and it has a delay function which made the DD-5/7 a bit redundant in my GAS list.

EDIT: here's a link to the PS-3 if you are curious....
http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=423085

warning: contains bass content but still pertains to guitar tone (just about!)

Taronja
Orange Master

Post by Taronja » Mon May 25, 2009 11:38 am

the DD5 and 6 are not quite the same, the DD5 is a great pedal. i traded mine for the 6 cause i wanted the "warp" feater. but i do miss the DD5, not quite sure what it is thou.

the guy who i did the trade with was estatic over the deal, he said he wanted the 5 cause of the optional external tap switch feater, but you just do this with the 6 without an extra switch, just tap the pedal? seems more easy with the 6, to me anyway. i dunno.

Jon
Last edited by Taronja on Mon May 25, 2009 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Easter-B ... 6877535568
Member since 2005
Currently a non orange owner. Im actively in search of a vintage OR head... Feel free to send me any leads... :)

NiallB
Orange Master

Post by NiallB » Mon May 25, 2009 11:58 am

I think the DD5 gives a slight treble boost that helps it cut through the mix a bit, gives it a bit more sparkle as such.

I sometimes seriously consider buying one and getting rid of my DD6, but then I think............who's gonna want to buy my DD6 :(
Fender Mexican Telecaster with seymour duncan pickups.
<br />Keeley Compressor:Ernie Ball Volume:Crowther Hotcake:Voodoo Labs Sparkle Drive:Ibanez TS-808 Reissue:Boss DM2:Boss DD6
<br />
Orange AD30TC Combo

niangelo
Orange Expert

Post by niangelo » Mon May 25, 2009 4:10 pm

I run both those pedals, they're excellent! The DD-5 is well suited to darker amps, I think anything that darkened the repeats would disappear through the AD30.
G&L Bluesboy Semi-Hollow > Vox Volume > Boss TU-2 > Fulltone Fatboost (v.1) > Keeley Fuzz Head > Fulltone Fulldrive 2 > Boss DD-5 > EHX Pulsar Trem > EHX Holy Grail > Orange AD30HTC > Avatar 2x12

chinese fork tie
Orange Master

Post by chinese fork tie » Tue May 26, 2009 1:40 am

i like the DD5 but i switched mine out on my board for a carbon copy. i think i'll be using the DD5 with tap tempo for vocals from now out.

personally not too blown away by the fulltone drive/dist stuff, though they make some damn nice chorus stuff, and that tube tape echo makes me drool.
http://myspace.com/rewritedept
i gotta movie in my head! you wanna see it?

onewaycpr
Orange Master

Post by onewaycpr » Tue May 26, 2009 2:46 am

ok so i got to mess arond with them a little today into the Fender Quad Reverb.

Fulldrive:

The Fulldrive is ok. I only have a strat here at the house so I don't know how my LPs will sound in it yet. Its not bad but it didn't blow me away or anything. But not to many drive pedals blow me away anyway. The amp drive on my RV50 is the best to me for that style of drive.

DD-5:

WOW! Its sooooo cool. I can't put my finger on it yet because of the little time i had to play with it, but there is something special about it. Maybe its the ambient feel... i dont know yet. But its sweet! When did they stop making these? I might have to sell my T-Rex Replica and pick up another one of these. At all times I like having 2 delay pedals on my board at once. Good for swells and ambient stuff. There is another one up on CL around here for $80.

I'll do full reviews after band practice this week.

Oh and did i mention he threw in the Tap Tempo switch!!!! With both manuals and boxes! :D

Jared T
Rocker

Post by Jared T » Tue May 26, 2009 7:36 am

Jody use the fulldrive as a light gain or medium gain, or even a clean boost and then have your RV with full gain for actually distortion thats what I do.
Hi I'm Jared and I'm a lefty.

Gibson Les Paul Standard Limited

50th Anniversary American Deluxe Fender Stratocaster

Crappy Fender Acoustic

Some Fulltone Pedals.

Bad Cat Tone Cat 112 and a Fender Blues Junior