PICTURE: The White RAT is clawing its way into my heart...

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Neiloler
Lord of Orange

PICTURE: The White RAT is clawing its way into my heart...

Post by Neiloler » Wed May 06, 2009 3:13 am

This thing is awesome. I've never played an original RAT, so I can't say on if it's just like the original, but this circuit is quite unique. Honestly, it's amazing.

I can get some tones that sound to me just like my Rocker 30. Amazing. Even with the gain cranked, it is still 100% useable, and almost sounds like it has a very smooth octaving effect that just makes lead notes sing out. On lower levels of gain, it can do slight blues crunch in a very new flavor, or it can do more cranked rock tones.

I'm LOVING this pedal. Build it from http://www.tonepad.com. Very cool.

AJS19
Orange Expert

Post by AJS19 » Wed May 06, 2009 3:48 am

Very cool Neil. Disregard sig pic question in another thread. Ever think of making many, many pedals and selling them?
Please, call me Austin.
My Gear List

Neiloler
Lord of Orange

Post by Neiloler » Wed May 06, 2009 4:06 am

Yup. I plan to do just that, but I want to come up with a few solid ideas first. I've got a layout for a more streamlined production model of my buffer boxes and ABY boxes. We'll see how it goes.

Secondhand Dan
Orange Master

Post by Secondhand Dan » Wed May 06, 2009 8:32 am

Neiloler wrote:Yup. I plan to do just that, but I want to come up with a few solid ideas first. I've got a layout for a more streamlined production model of my buffer boxes and ABY boxes. We'll see how it goes.
You should make a lot of those ABY boxes. They are the best you can get! I still have mine as a staple of my pedalboard, and even though I will probably not be using a stereo setup anymore, I am trying to find a way to keep it on the board haha
'65 Guild Starfire III--Custom 52 HR Tele--Custom Hollow Strat--BYOC Phaser--ZVex Box of Rock--EB VP Jr--Oler ABY--Malekko 616--Tech 21 Boost RVB--AD30r--Orange TT

WAWBanks
Orange Hero

Post by WAWBanks » Wed May 06, 2009 1:10 pm

+1

More Oler pedals!

I might be after an ABY box in the near future.

AJS19
Orange Expert

Post by AJS19 » Wed May 06, 2009 2:16 pm

Neiloler wrote:Yup. I plan to do just that, but I want to come up with a few solid ideas first. I've got a layout for a more streamlined production model of my buffer boxes and ABY boxes. We'll see how it goes.
Well when you do, I want some. :D
Please, call me Austin.
My Gear List

corky newman
Orange Master

Post by corky newman » Wed May 06, 2009 2:40 pm

The original rat was very cool...at the time it came out there was really only top 3 being used..Ibanez tube screamer, Boss OD1, and the rat..
I liked the rat as a good crunch, or for single line leads, but it didnt trail with you good on fast leads..kinda fell off...and it did fart out on the upper register bass strings...I used the Boss OD1 for over 30 years, untill the boutique stuff came out....

Neiloler
Lord of Orange

Post by Neiloler » Wed May 06, 2009 2:57 pm

Haha, all in good time my pedal fiends, all in good time! Bwahahahahahahaha! :twisted: ;)

Like I said Corky, I'd love to try an original out to check it out, but I couldn't stop playing it last night, I wrote a new song structure. I love gear that inspires me. This pedal sounds somewhat amp like in the way it cleans up when I'm not playing as hard. I didn't have the exact parts when building it, so I used some substitutions, maybe that helped in this pedal's sound?

Neiloler
Lord of Orange

Post by Neiloler » Wed May 06, 2009 2:58 pm

Secondhand Dan wrote:
You should make a lot of those ABY boxes. They are the best you can get! I still have mine as a staple of my pedalboard, and even though I will probably not be using a stereo setup anymore, I am trying to find a way to keep it on the board haha
And Dan, you're a champ. :) It makes me happy to hear you still dig it, gives me courage to keep making them and trying to expand! :)

Drdos
Orange Master

Post by Drdos » Wed May 06, 2009 3:01 pm

Neil if you start putting a white tail on those I want one! :D
Vince

Pacemaker
Orange Expert

Post by Pacemaker » Wed May 06, 2009 5:13 pm

I went to GC for a RAT last week, and ended up buying the Fulltone OCD. But I am still keenly interested in the RAT. So Neil, if you go an start producing these, I would probably also order one.

Neiloler
Lord of Orange

Post by Neiloler » Wed May 06, 2009 6:34 pm

I'm thinking the RAT might be more along the lines I'd like to see done. I'd have to look into the whole copy right deal, I don't want to be stealing anyone's ideas, but at the same time it makes me wonder because it seems that there's an awful lot of copying going on in the amp and pedal worlds.

Neiloler
Lord of Orange

Post by Neiloler » Wed May 06, 2009 6:35 pm

Drdos wrote:Neil if you start putting a white tail on those I want one! :D
NOS Tails mod extra. ;)

Pacemaker
Orange Expert

Post by Pacemaker » Wed May 06, 2009 9:20 pm

Neiloler wrote:I'm thinking the RAT might be more along the lines I'd like to see done. I'd have to look into the whole copy right deal, I don't want to be stealing anyone's ideas, but at the same time it makes me wonder because it seems that there's an awful lot of copying going on in the amp and pedal worlds.
True. You could always fiddle around and make your RATs a little more unique. Add a switch, or use different components (as you already have) to alter it a bit.

You could call it the Oler TAR. Or the Oler RAT Bastard, or whatever. You get what I'm knowing at...

Neiloler
Lord of Orange

Post by Neiloler » Wed May 06, 2009 9:28 pm

Haha, that's awesome, the OLER TAR. I'll do something like that, ;) The main thing I need to do now is to redo the circuit layout to make sure it's 100% mine (not just taken from TonePad.com, etc). It gives me hope to hear how crazy this box is. :)