Give me the skinny on Matamp/Electric/Green amps...

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

BrianPhase90

Give me the skinny on Matamp/Electric/Green amps...

Post by BrianPhase90 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 4:46 am

I am interested in any and all info.

Orphin? :?:

irish_admiral
Prince of Orange

Post by irish_admiral » Mon Apr 20, 2009 6:18 am

What do you want to know in particular? They're good.
Joe

G(sus) saves

Orange AD15, Matamp 1224, Fender 'JD' Tele, G&L ASAT, Duesenberg Starplayer TV, Eggle Kanuga, Avalon D25, Warwick FNA Jazzman, Eden Nemesis / Bergantino EX112S, Eastman MD305 & other stuff...

Orphin
Duke of Orange

Post by Orphin » Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:13 am

Radio Craft, or what later became Matamp was founded by WWII fugitive Mat Mathias in 1946. Although Mat has passed on the company still stands, and still have the same motto. Quality is first priority.
If you buy a Matamp, the amp is customizable, meaning you say what you want, and they build it, within limits I guess. :wink:

Green amp is a series of amps by Matamp from the 90's. Those were like a celebration to Peter Green that I think started out more or less as a Orange Matamp clone but then got more features. Anyway, these amps seems to be very beloved by their owners. A band called Sleep used Green amps for their entire backline (I think), so I think fans of this band particularly like these amps. I've never played one.

Electric amps was once upon a time the dealer for Matamp, but decided one day to steal all their ideas i.e. circuitry and design to make their own amps. Since then Matamp have moved on and are having a new product line while Electric amps still makes (great built) clones of I guess 10 year old Matamp models.
David
I'm speaking out of my a$$. Yours might differ.

AJS19
Orange Expert

Post by AJS19 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:36 pm

A local band that used to use all Orange Amps, including an OR80 and AD140, just got a sponsorship from Electric Amps recently. I have yet to see them play with their new gear.
Please, call me Austin.
My Gear List

Sooner
Orange Master

Post by Sooner » Mon Apr 20, 2009 2:12 pm

Orphin wrote: Green amp is a series of amps by Matamp from the 90's. Those were like a celebration to Peter Green that I think started out more or less as a Orange Matamp clone but then got more features. Anyway, these amps seems to be very beloved by their owners. A band called Sleep used Green amps for their entire backline (I think), so I think fans of this band particularly like these amps. I've never played one.
http://www.planetoftheamps.com/orange-a ... atamp.html 8)
Orphin wrote: Electric amps was once upon a time the dealer for Matamp, but decided one day to steal all their ideas i.e. circuitry and design
and the Orange font... :wink:
Sooner
AD1512 Serial No. 001

irish_admiral
Prince of Orange

Post by irish_admiral » Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:58 pm

Lol... i'd never read that before. Sounds like sour grapes to me. Left-over parts? He's making it sound like pots and caps were salvaged from scrapped amps.

The Electric amp guys have changed their font now I think...

Matamp also did custom shop work for other amp companies... Orange amongst them. And Hayden (Ashdown) amps, where Dave Green has now gone to.
Joe

G(sus) saves

Orange AD15, Matamp 1224, Fender 'JD' Tele, G&L ASAT, Duesenberg Starplayer TV, Eggle Kanuga, Avalon D25, Warwick FNA Jazzman, Eden Nemesis / Bergantino EX112S, Eastman MD305 & other stuff...

Orphin
Duke of Orange

Post by Orphin » Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:06 pm

Sooner wrote:
Orphin wrote: Green amp is a series of amps by Matamp from the 90's. Those were like a celebration to Peter Green that I think started out more or less as a Orange Matamp clone but then got more features. Anyway, these amps seems to be very beloved by their owners. A band called Sleep used Green amps for their entire backline (I think), so I think fans of this band particularly like these amps. I've never played one.
http://www.planetoftheamps.com/orange-a ... atamp.html 8)
Orphin wrote: Electric amps was once upon a time the dealer for Matamp, but decided one day to steal all their ideas i.e. circuitry and design
and the Orange font... :wink:
Hehe, I know that must look wierd..

Thing is that after the second Orange Matamp co-op, Matamp had some left over Orange chassis and they simply built Green amps out of these chassies.

Concerning the font I think anyone can use it, but you cannot use it to build the owrd "Orange", at least those are the rules Matamp applies.
David
I'm speaking out of my a$$. Yours might differ.