How much is my 4x12 worth?

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

helwardman

Post by helwardman » Tue Jul 16, 2002 8:08 pm

Hi,

I own an Orange 4x12 cab, probably a 1970s model (Serial number:2962)
It's a bit battered and scratched but not too bad for it's age.
One of the speakers may be original but the other 3 probably aren't.

Does anyone know how much this cab might be worth?
A guy has offered me £250 for it - would I be ripped off if I sold it at that price??

Cheers.

theschickster
Tiny Terror

Post by theschickster » Wed Jul 17, 2002 6:46 pm

Sounds alittle cheap to me. I'd shoot for 325 GBP. Thats around $500 USD which is about what they go for over here. If he just wont pay that think about 300 GBP? What speakers are in it?

melj

Post by melj » Thu Jul 18, 2002 9:41 am

If it's tatty and has non-original speakers in it, £250 is a good dela for you. Old Orange cabs appear every now and then from £50 - £500. I paid £45 for mine. Basically, it's worth what someone willpay for it.......if £250 is good enough for you, then go for it.

Edbig
Tiny Terror

Post by Edbig » Fri Jul 19, 2002 7:12 pm

I have not seen a 70's orange cab for under $700 in quite awhile.
I have been looking for one too.

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Sat Jul 20, 2002 3:05 pm

For the uninitiated, the prices we pay here in the US for used Orange gear is much much higher than our British friends do. I've seen Orange and Marshall cabs in particular, going for dirt-money in the UK adverts, while over here the same cab, and in particular Orange, going for double or triple the price! So, in other words, we in the USA can't give real advice to our UK friends over pricing.

What I WOULD offer for advice is, check the ads in the magazines, etc and see what they are going for in your area. But if it's really tattered, the value isn't much unless you want to re-tolex it, re-pipe it, new speaker grillecloth, speakers, etc. In which case, you'll keep it yourself! Billy

PS here around Boston I've seen cabs going for $500-$900, although when I bought my two Orange cabs used in 1987-88, I paid $210 and $250 each for them.

KORTEZ

Post by KORTEZ » Sun Jul 21, 2002 9:25 am

i paid £150 for my orange cab. its condition is okay, a few nicks in the covering and three original speakers. i think his original offer was more than fair considering your cab only has one original speaker.
i have also paid £350 for an orange cab complete with 4 original speakers and a marshall superbass 100 watt head but that was about 4 years ago. i always like to be fair to other musicians and settle for a price that evryone is happy with.

theschickster
Tiny Terror

Post by theschickster » Sun Jul 21, 2002 10:56 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>
i paid £150 for my orange cab. its condition is okay, a few nicks in the covering and three original speakers. i think his original offer was more than fair considering your cab only has one original speaker.
i have also paid £350 for an orange cab complete with 4 original speakers and a marshall superbass 100 watt head but that was about 4 years ago. i always like to be fair to other musicians and settle for a price that evryone is happy with.

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size=2 id=quote>

Right on!! I'll take one for that price anyday!!! To bad i live in the US where there overpriced.